Re: CANADA:Manitoba; 26 people on ventilators for flu-related reasons
Re: CANADA:Manitoba; 26 people on ventilators for flu-related reasons
Newreport 3 days ago:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/Health/Health+ministers+clash+over+swine+response/1667116/story.html
Health ministers clash over swine flu response
By Jordana Huber and Mia Rabson, Canwest News Service and Winnipeg
Free PressJune 5, 2009
Minister of Health Leona Aglukkaq is heading a delegation of Canadian health officials and while in Geneva for the World Health Assembly she plans to meet with WHO Director-General Margaret Chan, as well as her U.S. and Mexican counterparts, in a file photo.Photograph by: Blair Gable, ReutersTORONTO ? As a remote Manitoba reserve struggles to deal with a possible outbreak of swine flu, political tensions flared Friday over pandemic flu planning for Canada's First Nations.
Federal Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq denied a claim by Manitoba's health minister that the province had repeatedly offered to help Ottawa with pandemic plans for First Nations but had been ignored until the current scare on a northern Manitoba reserve.
Aboriginal leaders have said many impoverished reserves do not have the resources to deal with an outbreak, and are susceptible to a fast-spreading virus due to overcrowded homes.
St. Theresa Point First Nation has confirmed three cases of swine flu and more than 20 residents of the community have been flown to Winnipeg hospital suffering from flu-like symptoms.
Hundreds more have reported symptoms in the community of 3,200.
Aglukkaq said she has daily conversations about the swine flu virus with health ministers across the country, but that Manitoba Health Minister Theresa Oswald never brought up the matter.
"Last week, I spoke to her and this was never raised," Aglukkaq said. "She has never made this offer to me or expressed concerns in regards to what's written in the papers today."
The province quickly responded that it wasn't help offered on the ministerial level but by officials on the ground, as established crisis response procedures dictate.
On Thursday, Oswald said the Manitoba government had offered Ottawa help with pandemic planning on First Nations 13 times since May 4 but was repeatedly turned down.
She expressed frustration at the federal government's response to the H1N1 flu outbreak when it comes to First Nations, saying the province had been prevented from doing more because it doesn't have jurisdiction.
Oswald said Friday she said she hadn't meant to start a "fist fight" over the issue or imply the federal health officials in Manitoba were doing a bad job.
"The team on the ground is doing a good job," she said.
Later Friday, the two ministers spoke by phone, and seemed to have put aside their differences.
"She agreed we have to do more joint communications," said Oswald. "I am happy with that."
Aglukkaq also announced Friday $10.8 million in funding over three years for a national influenza research network.
The funds will support the work of 80 scientists from 30 research and public-health institutions across Canada who will test the safety and effectiveness of new vaccines against the H1N1 flu virus, Aglukkaq said.
Funding for the research network comes from a $1-billion commitment in the 2006 federal budget for pandemic preparedness.
As of Wednesday, a total of 1,795 laboratory-confirmed cases of H1N1 flu virus have been reported in nine provinces and three territories in Canada. Three deaths ? two in Ontario and one in northern Alberta ? have been linked to swine flu.
Meanwhile, Manitoba's acting chief public health officer on Friday warned hoteliers not to bar flu sufferers from renting rooms.
"There is currently no public health reason to turn away guests from any community in Manitoba or elsewhere across the world," wrote Dr. Elise Weiss in a letter issued Friday.
Weiss's letter was prompted by reports that residents of St. Theresa Point First Nation were kicked out of the St. Regis Hotel earlier this week because they could have been infected with the same strain now gripping the reserve, which is located about 500 kilometres northeast of Winnipeg.
Globally, 21,940 people are infected with the H1N1 flu virus and 125 have died according to the World Health Organization.
On Friday, the agency's pandemic alert level remained at 5, its second-highest level on a scale of 1 to 6.
In a statement, WHO said future changes to its alert level would include an assessment of how severe an outbreak was as well as how widespread.
The UN agency has been weighing how to revamp its pandemic alert scale to reflect both the severity of the flu as well as its geographic spread around the world.
This follows criticism that it may have caused undue panic about the new strain, whose effects have been mainly mild apart from in Mexico, where it is known to have killed more than 100 people.
? Copyright (c) Canwest News Service