• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

S. Korea reports 3rd death from influenza A

Gert van der Hoek

In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
S. Korea reports 3rd death from influenza A

SEOUL, Aug. 27 (Yonhap) -- South Korea reported its third death from influenza A on Thursday, raising concerns that the country is no longer insulated from the contagious disease that is spreading rapidly worldwide.

An elderly male patient, whose identity and age was withheld, was taken to a hospital in Seoul Monday due to pneumonia-like symptoms and died earlier in the day as the symptoms worsened, the Ministry of Health and Welfare said.

He suffered from high fever from about a month ago and was confirmed to have contracted the H1N1 virus after being hospitalized, according to officials. Authorities were investigating the exact cause of the death.

Fears of influenza A are rapidly spreading here, as the number of South Koreans diagnosed with the highly infectious viral respiratory disease topped 3,300 earlier this week. Influenza A, known worldwide as the swine flu, has already claimed the lives of two South Koreans.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/techscience/2009/08/27/23/0601000000AEN20090827007100315F.HTML
 
Re: S. Korea reports 3rd death from influenza A

Source: http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/techscience/2009/08/27/75/0601000000AEN20090827007500315F.HTML

S. Korea reports third influenza death


SEOUL, Aug. 27 (Yonhap) -- South Korea reported its third type-A influenza death Thursday, less than two weeks after the first two occurred and alarmed the population that had considered itself fairly insulated from the deadly disease.

A Seoul resident in his 60s died after he was hospitalized a day earlier for pneumonia symptoms, Ministry of Health and Welfare officials said.

The man, whom they refused to identify further, developed breathing difficulties Tuesday and was confirmed to have contracted the H1N1 virus a day later.

Officials said his death, which resulted directly from shock associated with blood poisoning, marked the second time a patient with no recent record of overseas travel has died in the country.

South Korea reported Aug. 15 its first H1N1 virus-related death -- a man in his 50s who had recently returned from a trip to Thailand. The second death, which involved a woman in her 50s, took place just a day later.

The latest victim was admitted to a different hospital about a month ago with a high fever and chronic pneumonia. He died a day after he was given an anti-flu medication, officials said.

The number of South Koreans diagnosed with the infectious viral respiratory disease topped 3,300 earlier this week. The first outbreak was reported in May.

Health experts say the disease may spread more widely in the fall. Government officials said Thursday all elementary and secondary school teachers will be required to have their temperatures taken every day at work. A growing number of schools across South Korea have announced they plan to extend their summer recess into September due to flu fears.

samkim@yna.co.kr
(END)
 
Back
Top