• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

POSSIBLE NOROVIRUS HALTS VISITS AT SAN QUENTIN

MHSC

Senior Moderator
POSSIBLE NOROVIRUS HALTS VISITS AT SAN QUENTIN

http://cbs5.com/localwire/localfsne...News/NOROVIRUS-SAN-QUENTIN/resources_bcn_html

01/02/07 3:00 PST SAN QUENTIN STATE PRISON (BCN)
San Quentin State Prison officials are taking precautions today after a rash of possible norovirus cases broke out among inmates and employees.
Prison officials last week noticed a larger-than-normal number of staff and prisoners with flu-like symptoms, said Rudy Luna, administrative assistant to the warden.
Since Wednesday, prison officials have restricted the movement of sick inmates, instituted rigorous cleaning measures and placed hand sanitizers throughout the facility, Luna said.
Prison officials have also terminated all visiting, Luna said.
"It's just like when we get the flu at home ... this is just a big house here," he said.
Visiting will likely resume on Thursday, as the bug seems to be winding down, Luna said.
"It was basically a 72-hour bug and it's pretty well finished," he said.
Health officials say norovirus, which lives in stool or vomit and can be easily transmitted - including by touching a surface contaminated by an infected person, or by sharing food, drink or utensils - is very common. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, muscle cramps and a low-grade fever.
The state Department of Health is in the process of determining if the illness at San Quentin is indeed norovirus.
Dr. Celia Golden, deputy public health officer for Marin County, said norovirus is a stubborn problem that crops up every year. Currently, there are two nursing homes with active cases in Marin.
One nursing home has four possible cases. The other had two confirmed cases, and now has another two suspected cases. Golden declined to release the names of the facilities.
"It's definitely a problem," she said. "It's not anything anyone wants in their nursing home. The measures to combat it - like keeping people confined to their rooms and curtailing visits and activities - are taxing for employees and residents."
Though the close quarters of prisons and nursing homes may help spread norovirus, Golden stressed that the illness can affect anyone.
"It doesn't spring up on its own in nursing homes, it comes in from the community," she said. "It's a seasonal thing and this is the season for it."
 
Back
Top