• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Polk County man dies of swine flu

Chuck

Moderator
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/jul/17/polk-county-man-dies-swine-flu/news-breaking/

Polk County man dies of swine flu

By BETH GADDIS | TBO.com

Published: July 17, 2009

A 31-year-old man died of H1N1 swine flu Thursday evening, the Polk County Health Department confirms.

Polk County has had 72 confirmed cases. Health officials do not believe the cases are related.

"At this point, in terms of a public health concern because of a cluster, which means cases that are related to each other, we have not seen any of that yet," said Dr. Celeste Philip, acting medical director.

This is the second confirmed death in the Tampa Bay area in 24 hours. On Thursday, Sarasota County health officials said a 22-year-old, otherwise-healthy man died from the disease. Doctors are awaiting test results on a 47-year-old man who died at Sarasota Memorial Hospital in the past few days.

Florida has 2,188 confirmed swine flu cases, and health officials say the number will rise.

Doctors urge people to wash their hands thoroughly, stay home from work, school or daycare if they feel sick, and to cover their mouths with a tissue or sleeve if they are coughing.
 
Re: Polk County man dies of swine flu

Polk County man dies from swine flu complications

Friday, July 17, 2009

POLK COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- A Polk County man has died from complications related to swine flu, health officials say.

The victim was 31-year-old Michael Lester, who worked in the cafeteria at McLaughlin Middle School and at a Lake Wales McDonalds.


Dr. Celeste Phillip of the Polk County Health Department said Lester had an underlying medical condition that made him more vulnerable to the H1N1 virus.

Lester's brother, Tyrone Lester, said Lester got sick with flu symptoms about a month ago and doctors eventually confirmed it was swine flu.

"I didn't think nothing of it at first until he went to the hospital and they admitted him to the emergency room," Tyrone Lester said, "Two or three weeks ago the tests came back positive and from there on everything went down hill."

Lester's death was the state's 14th fatal case of swine flu.


Polk County has confirmed 72 cases of swine flu, while the state of Florida has 2,188 cases.

Earlier this week, a 22-year-old Sarasota man died from swine flu.

In addition, another Sarasota man died after exhibiting flu-like symptoms. Tests are being conducted to determine if that man died from swine flu.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2009/7/17/497278.html?title=Polk%20County%20man%20dies%20from%20swine%20flu%20complications&cid=rss
 
Back
Top