Pathfinder
Editor, Senior Moderator
Legionnaires' outbreak in southern Polish city kills five
Reuters
August 24, 20237:01 AM CSTUpdated an hour ago
WARSAW, Aug 24 (Reuters) - An outbreak of Legionnaires' disease in the southern Polish city of Rzeszow has killed five people so far, a doctor said on Thursday, as authorities scrambled to find the source of the bacterial infection, which they believed was in the water supply.
...
https://www.reuters.com/business/he...k-southern-polish-city-kills-five-2023-08-24/
------------------------------------------------
Translation Google
A fifth person with Legionella has died, and the number of infected is rising. There is an appeal to the people
TVN24 | Cracow
August 24, 2023, 8:44
Author: ms/current
Source: PAP, tvn24.pl
...
A 79-year-old patient died at night in the City Hospital in Rzeszów. She was infected with the Legionella pneumophila bacteria, Grzegorz Materna, director of the City Hospital at ul. Rycerska. This is the fifth person to die from Legionella infection.
The 79-year-old lived in Rzeszów. She was hospitalized a few days ago. "She was a patient with multiple diseases, including cancer. She was in the anesthesiology and intensive care ward. Tests confirmed the presence of bacteria" - said Grzegorz Materna. A 70-year-old man died in the same facility a day earlier.
Three other people died in the University Clinical Hospital at ul. Szopena and in the Podkarpackie Center for Lung Diseases at ul. Rycerska.
In the hospital at ul. Rycerska, there are currently 15 people with confirmed legionella. Two patients are in critical condition in the intensive care unit. Eleven patients are in the hospital at ul. Chopin, and nine - in the Podkarpackie Center for Lung Diseases at ul. Rycerska. "Three people are in a serious condition in the ICU" - said Andrzej Sroka, spokesman for the USK.
Legionella in Rzeszów. The president appeals to the people
On Thursday, a press conference was held at the Rzeszów town hall, during which the situation related to legionella infections was discussed.
According to Jaromir Ślączka, director of the Poviat Sanitary and Epidemiological Station in Rzeszów, the first confirmed notification about a person infected with legionella was received by the health department on Thursday, August 17. The infection was found in one of the patients of the University Clinical Hospital in Rzeszów.
- To date, the infection has already been confirmed in 76 people - he said. Most of them are elderly people. Patients are staying in hospitals in Rzeszów and in the Rzeszów poviat.
He added that an epidemiological investigation is underway to determine the source of infection. Samples have been taken, the results are expected on Monday, August 28. The source of the infection has not yet been located.
When asked by journalists, he said that in recent years no legionella infections have been found in Rzeszów and the Rzeszów district.
The Mayor of Rzeszów, Konrad Fijołek, assured that the city has been monitoring the situation from the beginning. - We ordered the involvement of city services to look for potential sources of bacteria in the city and the surrounding area - he said. He added that samples for testing were taken from the municipal network and water intakes on the same day.
He reminded that the next weekend (August 26-27) the water supply system will be disinfected. He stressed that these are preventive measures. - A dose of chlorine will be introduced into the network on Saturday, it should spread throughout the network on Sunday and decontaminate it - said Konrad Fijołek.
- When, especially on Sunday, we fill the tank with water, be it a kettle or a jug, it is worth draining the water a little earlier, and if we notice a larger amount of chlorine, we need to let the water cool down a bit and boil it best - he appealed.
The number of infected people is growing, the health department has already detected legionella in 76 people
Jaromir Ślączka, head of the Rzeszów Sanitary Inspectorate, announced on Thursday morning that legionella had already been confirmed in 76 patients hospitalized in Rzeszów, in the Rzeszów poviat, Dębica and Przemyśl. "Five new confirmed test results for Legionella pneumophila concern patients hospitalized in hospitals in Rzeszów and the Rzeszów district" - said Jaromir Ślączka.
The largest number of people with confirmed legionella causing legionellosis, i.e. acute pneumonia, are residents of Rzeszów - 54, Rzeszów poviat - 15, Dębica poviat - 3 and one case each from the following poviats: Ropczycko-Sędziszów, Nizański, Stalowowolski and Przemyśl.
Sanepid also informed that so far 56 water samples have been collected for testing from installations in Rzeszów, Rzeszów and Ropczyce-Sędziszów poviats.
The crisis team meets in the town hall
The meeting of the crisis staff was attended by Mayor Konrad Fijołek, Jaromir Ślączka, director of the Poviat Sanitary and Epidemiological Station, Zbigniew Sowa, director of the municipal crisis management department and directors of municipal and environmental companies.
Bartosz Gubernat from the Chancellery of the President of Rzeszów told PAP that "the situation related to legionella infections will be discussed at the meeting"
As PAP learned, Deputy Minister of Health Waldemar Kraska , head of the Minister's Crisis Management Team, is to come to Rzeszów on Thursday.
The Minister of Health at a meeting at the Voivodship Office in Rzeszów
On the night from Wednesday to Thursday, the crisis team convened urgently was convened at the Podkarpackie Voivodship Office. The meeting was attended by the Minister of Health Katarzyna Sójka and the Deputy Minister of Health Marcin Martyniak, Ewa Leniart, the Podkarpackie Voivode, and Krzysztof Saczka, the head of GIS.
After the meeting, the Ministry of Health announced on social media that "the variant regarding the municipal water supply network as a source of infection is being verified. A strategy for further actions to extinguish the outbreak, necessary for immediate action by the competent authorities, has been established."
On Wednesday, the head of the Rzeszów Sanepid, Jaromir Ślączka, announced that the number of hospitalized people in the Podkarpackie Voivodeship with confirmed Legionella pneumophila infection had increased to 71. Four people died.
An epidemiological investigation is underway
An epidemiological investigation is underway to determine the source of infection, as well as other anti-epidemic measures, including inspections and water collection for laboratory tests. The first test results from the samples taken from the hot water installation from the municipal water supply points will be known on Monday. The waiting time for the results of Legionella pneumophila tests after sampling is up to 10 days.
First, samples were taken at water intake points in the city, and then samples were taken from the homes of infected people.
The city temporarily shut down all fountains, water curtains and drinking fountains.
...
https://tvn24.pl/krakow/rzeszow-pon...iec-zmarlo-zebral-sie-sztab-kryzysowy-7305208
Reuters
August 24, 20237:01 AM CSTUpdated an hour ago
WARSAW, Aug 24 (Reuters) - An outbreak of Legionnaires' disease in the southern Polish city of Rzeszow has killed five people so far, a doctor said on Thursday, as authorities scrambled to find the source of the bacterial infection, which they believed was in the water supply.
...
https://www.reuters.com/business/he...k-southern-polish-city-kills-five-2023-08-24/
------------------------------------------------
Translation Google
A fifth person with Legionella has died, and the number of infected is rising. There is an appeal to the people
TVN24 | Cracow
August 24, 2023, 8:44
Author: ms/current
Source: PAP, tvn24.pl
...
A 79-year-old patient died at night in the City Hospital in Rzeszów. She was infected with the Legionella pneumophila bacteria, Grzegorz Materna, director of the City Hospital at ul. Rycerska. This is the fifth person to die from Legionella infection.
The 79-year-old lived in Rzeszów. She was hospitalized a few days ago. "She was a patient with multiple diseases, including cancer. She was in the anesthesiology and intensive care ward. Tests confirmed the presence of bacteria" - said Grzegorz Materna. A 70-year-old man died in the same facility a day earlier.
Three other people died in the University Clinical Hospital at ul. Szopena and in the Podkarpackie Center for Lung Diseases at ul. Rycerska.
In the hospital at ul. Rycerska, there are currently 15 people with confirmed legionella. Two patients are in critical condition in the intensive care unit. Eleven patients are in the hospital at ul. Chopin, and nine - in the Podkarpackie Center for Lung Diseases at ul. Rycerska. "Three people are in a serious condition in the ICU" - said Andrzej Sroka, spokesman for the USK.
Legionella in Rzeszów. The president appeals to the people
On Thursday, a press conference was held at the Rzeszów town hall, during which the situation related to legionella infections was discussed.
According to Jaromir Ślączka, director of the Poviat Sanitary and Epidemiological Station in Rzeszów, the first confirmed notification about a person infected with legionella was received by the health department on Thursday, August 17. The infection was found in one of the patients of the University Clinical Hospital in Rzeszów.
- To date, the infection has already been confirmed in 76 people - he said. Most of them are elderly people. Patients are staying in hospitals in Rzeszów and in the Rzeszów poviat.
He added that an epidemiological investigation is underway to determine the source of infection. Samples have been taken, the results are expected on Monday, August 28. The source of the infection has not yet been located.
When asked by journalists, he said that in recent years no legionella infections have been found in Rzeszów and the Rzeszów district.
The Mayor of Rzeszów, Konrad Fijołek, assured that the city has been monitoring the situation from the beginning. - We ordered the involvement of city services to look for potential sources of bacteria in the city and the surrounding area - he said. He added that samples for testing were taken from the municipal network and water intakes on the same day.
He reminded that the next weekend (August 26-27) the water supply system will be disinfected. He stressed that these are preventive measures. - A dose of chlorine will be introduced into the network on Saturday, it should spread throughout the network on Sunday and decontaminate it - said Konrad Fijołek.
- When, especially on Sunday, we fill the tank with water, be it a kettle or a jug, it is worth draining the water a little earlier, and if we notice a larger amount of chlorine, we need to let the water cool down a bit and boil it best - he appealed.
The number of infected people is growing, the health department has already detected legionella in 76 people
Jaromir Ślączka, head of the Rzeszów Sanitary Inspectorate, announced on Thursday morning that legionella had already been confirmed in 76 patients hospitalized in Rzeszów, in the Rzeszów poviat, Dębica and Przemyśl. "Five new confirmed test results for Legionella pneumophila concern patients hospitalized in hospitals in Rzeszów and the Rzeszów district" - said Jaromir Ślączka.
The largest number of people with confirmed legionella causing legionellosis, i.e. acute pneumonia, are residents of Rzeszów - 54, Rzeszów poviat - 15, Dębica poviat - 3 and one case each from the following poviats: Ropczycko-Sędziszów, Nizański, Stalowowolski and Przemyśl.
Sanepid also informed that so far 56 water samples have been collected for testing from installations in Rzeszów, Rzeszów and Ropczyce-Sędziszów poviats.
The crisis team meets in the town hall
The meeting of the crisis staff was attended by Mayor Konrad Fijołek, Jaromir Ślączka, director of the Poviat Sanitary and Epidemiological Station, Zbigniew Sowa, director of the municipal crisis management department and directors of municipal and environmental companies.
Bartosz Gubernat from the Chancellery of the President of Rzeszów told PAP that "the situation related to legionella infections will be discussed at the meeting"
As PAP learned, Deputy Minister of Health Waldemar Kraska , head of the Minister's Crisis Management Team, is to come to Rzeszów on Thursday.
The Minister of Health at a meeting at the Voivodship Office in Rzeszów
On the night from Wednesday to Thursday, the crisis team convened urgently was convened at the Podkarpackie Voivodship Office. The meeting was attended by the Minister of Health Katarzyna Sójka and the Deputy Minister of Health Marcin Martyniak, Ewa Leniart, the Podkarpackie Voivode, and Krzysztof Saczka, the head of GIS.
After the meeting, the Ministry of Health announced on social media that "the variant regarding the municipal water supply network as a source of infection is being verified. A strategy for further actions to extinguish the outbreak, necessary for immediate action by the competent authorities, has been established."
On Wednesday, the head of the Rzeszów Sanepid, Jaromir Ślączka, announced that the number of hospitalized people in the Podkarpackie Voivodeship with confirmed Legionella pneumophila infection had increased to 71. Four people died.
An epidemiological investigation is underway
An epidemiological investigation is underway to determine the source of infection, as well as other anti-epidemic measures, including inspections and water collection for laboratory tests. The first test results from the samples taken from the hot water installation from the municipal water supply points will be known on Monday. The waiting time for the results of Legionella pneumophila tests after sampling is up to 10 days.
First, samples were taken at water intake points in the city, and then samples were taken from the homes of infected people.
The city temporarily shut down all fountains, water curtains and drinking fountains.
...
https://tvn24.pl/krakow/rzeszow-pon...iec-zmarlo-zebral-sie-sztab-kryzysowy-7305208

