• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Ontario: two cases of C. difficile at the Niagara-on-the-Lake Hospital, 1 fatality

Shiloh

Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://www.niagaraadvance.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3193691

Two c. diff cases at NOTL
Both are patients transferred from St. Catharines General
By Penny Coles
Posted 5 hours ago

There are currently two cases of C. difficile at the Niagara-on-the-Lake Hospital.

Both are patients who were transferred from the St. Catharines General.

The first person to be transferred was on April 27, and had been confirmed as suffering from c. difficile, says Frank Demizio, the Niagara Health System's vice-president of patient services.

The second was in June, after the outbreak was declared at the St. Catharines site. That patient was suspected to have the infection but it had not been confirmed at that point.

Both were kept in isolation when transferred and precautions to prevent the spread of the disease were taken.

He told the Advance Tuesday that the two patients at the NOTL site were community-related.

But when questioned again Wednesday, he said both had been transferred from St. Catharines.

The majority of the patients in the 22 beds at the NOTL Hospital are elderly, with complex conditions, he said, and agreed that those are the patients most vulnerable to c. difficile, which causes diarrhea and has proven deadly in elderly patients with other conditions. But the precautions that have been taken to prevent the spread of the disease at the NOTL site are working, he said?there have been no new cases since the transfer of the two patients.

The patients were transferred because they no longer needed the acute care they were receiving in St. Catharines...
 
Re: Ontario: two cases of C. difficile at the Niagara-on-the-Lake Hospital

Re: Ontario: two cases of C. difficile at the Niagara-on-the-Lake Hospital

24 dead in Canada C. difficile outbreak
Published: July 9, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Comments (1)EmailPrintListen TORONTO, July 9 (UPI) -- At least 24 people have died in Ontario hospitals during an outbreak of the so-called superbug C. difficile, Canadian health officials say.

The Globe and Mail reported the Niagara Health System said Friday one patient had died in its Niagara-on-the-Lake facility and two more at its St. Catharines General site, bringing the C. difficile death toll in its seven hospitals to 20.

The outbreak, which began in May, has claimed the lives of at least four more people in other Ontario hospitals, the Toronto newspaper said.

...

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2011...le-outbreak/UPI-93611310252351/#ixzz1RhGIkMIx
 
Back
Top