• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Shiloh

Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3145039

C. difficile outbreak at hospital
By MONIQUE BEECH Standard Staff
Posted 1 day ago

An outbreak of the superbug C. difficile was declared on Saturday at St. Catharines General Hospital, where 12 cases have been confirmed.

The first outbreak of the diarrhea-causing infection in the hospital's history was called by Niagara Health System and public health officials after the number of cases surpassed what is "normally experienced..."

...Eight of the 12 people who picked up C. diff ? which can lead to death in the most serious cases ? were infected in hospital. The patients were in different units.
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Source: http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3146239

Patient dies in C.diff outbreak at St. Catharines General
By Grant LaFleche, Standard Staff
Posted 19 hours ago

An elderly patient has died as a result of the C.difficile outbreak at the St. Catharines General Hospital.

Niagara Health Systems officials said Monday afternoon medical staff are reviewing the patient's case to determine what role the infection played in the death.

"This was a patient who had other serious medical issues, so at this point we cannot say for sure if it is solely because of C.difficile," said Frank Demizio, NHS vice-president of patient services. "That's why we have to do the chart review."

The patient was in their 80s, Demizio said, but he could not specify the age or gender of the patient, citing privacy regulations...
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Source: http://www.610cktb.com/news/local/story.aspx?ID=1426683

C.difficile not cause of patient death
Siobhan Morris, 610 CKTB News
5/31/2011

Doctors have determined C.difficile didn't cause the death of a patient at the St. Catharines General.

The 80-something year old patient died in hospital Monday.

The NHS says while the bug may have been a factor in the patient's death, other "acute health issues" played a bigger part...
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Source: http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3150271

Four more patients have C. difficile
By Grant LaFleche, Standard Staff
Posted 21 hours ago

Four more people were added to the list of C. difficile patients being treated at St. Catharines General Hospital.

"These are patients who were readmissions," said Frank Demizio, Niagara Health System vice-president of patient services. He said the patients had been at the hospital and discharged prior to the C. difficile outbreak being declared Sunday.

This brings to 16 the number of people confirmed with C. diff. Originally, there were 12 patients who were part of the outbreak. One was discharged and another passed away, although a review of the patient's case revealed C. difficile was not the cause of death...
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Source: http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3156273

Two more C. difficile patients die at hospital
Review will determine if infection led to deaths
By Grant LaFleche, Standard Staff
Posted 20 hours ago

Two more C. difficile patients at the St. Catharines General Hospital have died, triggering another round of case reviews by medical staff.

In a news release Sunday, the Niagara Health System said two elderly people diagnosed with the C. difficile infection passed away over the weekend, bringing the total to three with the infection who have died.

The latest review will determine if the infection was the cause of the two weekend deaths. Last week, a review of the first patient death determined C. difficile was not the fatal factor.

Since the outbreak was declared May 29, 19 people have tested positive for C. difficile, a so-called superbug that causes diarrhea. There are 15 people currently admitted at the hospital suffering from it...
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ca...qM5jYmDk7rES4mH2C6hELlJm_49JeQw?docId=7073468

C. difficile hits 22 at St. Catharines, Ont., hospital; 16 are in isolation

(The Canadian Press) ? 1 hour ago

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. ? Twenty-two patients at St. Catharines General have now tested positive for hospital-acquired C. difficile.

Of the 22 patients who tested positive, 16 are in isolation in hospital...
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Source: http://www.610cktb.com/news/local/story.aspx?ID=1438176

Update on C. difficile outbreak at St. Catharines General
Stephanie Sabourin, 610 CKTB News
6/8/2011

The Niagara Health System says there have been no new hospital-associated cases of C. difficile for 11 days now.

An outbreak was declared at the St. Catharines General Hospital May 28th.

Since then there have been two hospital-associated cases, 25 people diagnosed in all with 19 remaining in hospital.

2 deaths have been linked to the outbreak, the Regional coroner is now looking into them....

*********************

Source: http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3161638

Still safe to come to the General ER despite outbreak, NHS says
By Grant LaFleche, Standard Staff
Posted 20 hours ago

The phone calls have become more frequent as news is reported on the C. difficile outbreak at the St. Catharines General Hospital.

Each day, the Niagara Health System tries to assure worried residents it is still safe to come to the hospital if they need medical help.

"If you need emergency medical help, please, we want you to come to the emergency room," said Anne Atkinson, NHS vice-president of patient services.

People worried about the outbreak and who are staying away from the ER could endanger themselves, she said.

Atkinson said the ER has changed patient intake methods in order to cope with the outbreak, now in its 13th day.

At triage, where patients are first directed, they are...
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Source: http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3167039

Two more C. difficile patients die at General
By Peter Downs/QMI Agency
Posted 23 hours ago

ST. CATHARINES ? Two more patients with C. difficile died at St. Catharines General Hospital over the weekend, the Niagara Health System has reported.

Five deaths have now been connected with an outbreak that began at the hospital May 28 ? meaning the patients acquired the infection at the hospital. A sixth C. difficile patient who died contracted the infection outside the facility.

The two latest deaths both happened Saturday and were reported to the regional coroner and Niagara Region's public health department.

"What we don't know is what, if any, part C. difficile played in the deaths," Anne Atkinson, NHS vice-president of patient services, said Sunday...
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Source: http://www.610cktb.com/news/local/story.aspx?ID=1440240

Numbers steady in C difficile outbreak at St. Catharines General
Stephanie Sabourin, 610 CKTB News
6/13/2011

The Niagara Health System says numbers associated with the C difficile outbreak at the St. Catharines General have remained steady.
In an update Monday afternoon, the NHS says since the outbreak was declared 17 days ago there have been two hospital-associated cases of C. difficile. There have been no new cases since May 28...
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Update on C. difficile Outbreak at St. Catharines General
Sunday, June 12, 2011
Proper Handwashing
(High Quality PDF ? 300 KB)

As part of the C. difficile outbreak protocol, the Niagara Health System (NHS) informed the Regional Coroner?s office of the death of a fifth patient yesterday at the St. Catharines General Site associated with the C. difficile outbreak at the site.


?We all recognize the loss the family and friends are experiencing, and we would like to extend our sincere condolences to them,? says Anne Atkinson, Vice President, Patient Services. ?This patient had serious health issues and also tested positive for C. difficile. The patient?s death will be reviewed to determine the role C. difficile played or did not play in the death.?

The Regional Coroner is being notified of all deaths of patients with C. difficile until the outbreak is declared over. The Coroner will determine whether to conduct its own medical review on a case-by-case basis. The hospital also conducts a review of every patient death related to the outbreak to determine whether C. difficile was the cause of death, a contributing factor, or unrelated. All of these deaths are also reported to Niagara Region Public Health under provincial legislation.

The NHS is working hand-in-hand with Niagara Region Public Health to ensure all outbreak containment measures are in place and monitored. Containment efforts are working. There were two hospital-associated cases early on in the C. difficile outbreak when it was declared 16 days ago on May 28. There have been no new cases since May 28.

?We appreciate the ongoing support and cooperation of patients and visitors. Compliance with hand washing and other measures is essential to bring the outbreak to conclusion. As well we would like to publicly thank all of our staff and physicians for their hard work and exceptional commitment to patient care and safety,? said Mrs. Atkinson.

As of Sunday, June 12, there are 20 patients with C. difficile hospitalized at the St. Catharines General ? 14 of which have hospital associated C. difficile and six of which are community associated. Since the outbreak was declared on May 28, the total number of patient cases of C. difficile associated with the outbreak is 29.
...

http://www.niagarahealth.on.ca/news...c-difficile-outbreak-at-st-catharines-general
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Source: http://www.610cktb.com/news/local/story.aspx?ID=1441559

Another case confirmed in the St. Catharines General C. difficile outbreak
Stephanie Sabourin, 610 CKTB News
6/14/2011

At the St. Catharines General, the Niagara Healthsystems says there are now a total of 30 cases associated with the C. difficile outbreak.

One new hospital-associated case confirmed Tuesday from before the outbreak was declared May 28th.

Of the 30 cases, 19 are still in hospital...
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Source: http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3172200

Outrbreak update: Three more patients die, hospital bans flowers, pets
C. difficile
By Grant LaFleche, Standard Staff
Posted 20 hours ago

The Niagara Health System introduced a new round of infection-control measures at St. Catharines General Hospital Wednesday as it announced three more C. difficile patients have died.

The deaths, all reported to the regional coroner and public health department, bring the total number of C. difficile patients who have died to nine. Eight of those were outbreak patients and the other contracted the bacteria infection from outside the hospital.

While the hospital reviews the deaths to determine if C. difficile was the cause, new infection-control measures are putting greater restrictions on patients and visitors...
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Source: http://chch.com/index.php/home/item/4043-c-diff-death-toll-climbs-to-9-at-st-catharines-general
(Click above to access video)

Thursday, June 16, 2011
C-diff death toll climbs to 9 at St Catharines General

Less than three weeks into the declared C-difficile outbreak at St Catharines General Hospital, 9 people have died.
All of them were elderly with other medical problems.
But as Lauran Sabourin reports, the daughter of one of those victims was expecting her mother to be treated at hospital and leave in much better health.
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Source: http://chch.com/index.php/home/item/4291-stronger-strain-of-c-diff-in-st-kitts-general

(Click above for link to video re[port)

Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Stronger strain of C-diff in St Kitts General

The C-difficile outbreak at St Catharines General Hospital is a stronger strain than originally thought.
The NAP1 strain is known to spread faster -- and is deadlier than other forms of the superbug.
But as Kate Carnegie reports, only a small percent of people who are prone to c-diff-- will actually get it.
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Source: http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3198757

10th outbreak patient dies at St. Catharines hospital
By Grant LaFleche
Updated 3 hours ago

The C. difficile outbreak at the St. Catharines General Hospital has claimed a 10th victim, the Niagara Health System reported Monday.

The NHS said the outbreak patient died Monday morning, bringing the total number of C. difficile patients who have died at the General since the May 28 outbreak was declared to 11. Ten were outbreak patients ? meaning they acquired the infection while in hospital ? and one contracted C. difficile elsewhere.

With outbreaks now declared at Greater Niagara General Hospital in Niagara Falls, where four patients have died, and the Welland hospital, where two have died, 17 C. difficile patients have passed away.

In the most recent case, as with the others, the death was reported to the public health department and the regional coroner's office...
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/07/08/cdifficile-hospitals.html

C. difficile superbug linked to 3 more deaths
The Canadian Press
Posted: Jul 8, 2011 3:22 PM ET
Last Updated: Jul 8, 2011 5:03 PM ET

Three more deaths have been linked to C. difficile infections in Ontario as eight hospitals continue efforts to contain outbreaks of the infection.

Niagara Region health officials say two patients in St. Catharines and one in Niagara-on-the-Lake died Thursday night.


The bacterial disease, which causes severe diarrhea, has now been tied to 20 deaths since late May.
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Source: http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3208667

Four new C. diff cases at St. Catharines hospital
By Grant LaFleche, Standard Staff
Posted 29 minutes ago

The C. difficile outbreak has spread to four new patients at the St. Catharines General Hospital, despite stepped-up infection control measures.

The cases, the last of which was detected July 7, brings the total of new hospital-acquired cases since the outbreak was declared May 28 to 10. This means the outbreak status will remain in effect at least until early next month...
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Source: http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3214579

Infected hospital worker from St. Catharines General
Gaps found in infection control training
By Grant LaFleche QMI Agency
Updated 1 hour ago

ST. CATHARINES ? The bad news for the NHS did not stop with the MRSA outbreak at the Greater Niagara General Hospital that was declared Thursday. The NHS released a report issued by the Ministry of Labour, which was investigating a St. Catharines General Hospital care provider who contracted C. difficile. The report found hospital staff were not participating in safety education.

NHS interim CEO Sue Matthews said she could not say the exact job the care provider has at the General, citing confidentiality rules. However, she said the person became symptomatic at home on May 23, five days before the outbreak was declared at the St. Catharines hospital. The care provider has not been back to work since...
 
Re: Ontario: C. difficile outbreak at St. Catherines hospital

Source: http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3219057

C. difficile deaths up to 24, NHS pledges 'new corporate culture'
Interim CEO says effort to block information was wrong
By BRETT CLARKSON Niagara Falls Review
Updated 2 hours ago

As another patient who had acquired C. difficile died Monday at the St. Catharines General Hospital, local health officials announced that a new infection control manager has been brought in from Hamilton to help the Niagara Health System manage the ongoing outbreaks.

Andrea Iacurti, a registered nurse with a certification in infection control based at St. Joseph's Healthcare in Hamilton, started with the NHS on a secondment Monday and will be reviewing NHS practices, cleaning schedules, and sharing strategies until the NHS hires a full-time infection control manager.

"Andrea started today and will report to Kim Stephens-Woods, our vice-president of patient services," said Dr. Sue Matthews, interim president and CEO of the NHS.

The death of the patient in St. Catharines early Monday raises the total number of deaths associated with the outbreak reported by the NHS to 24 since the first outbreak was declared on May 28.

"This patient had multiple health issues and passed away this morning," Matthews said.

The total number of cases reported by the NHS for the three outbreaks in St. Catharines, Welland and Niagara Falls was at 75 on Monday.

So far there has been 13 deaths at the St. Catharines General, six at Welland County General Hospital, and four at Greater Niagara General Hospital in Niagara Falls...
 
Back
Top