• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Ontario: 2021/2022 Covid Cases

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-aug-25-2022-7th-wave-1.6562465

Ontario's weekly reported COVID-19 deaths jump 59% from previous week
Province reports 89 deaths, up from 56 last week
CBC News · Posted: Aug 25, 2022 5:05 PM ET | Last Updated: 6 minutes ago

Ontario is reporting 89 more deaths linked to COVID-19 over the past seven days, a marked uptick from its seventh-wave high of 56 the week before and a 58.9 per cent increase.

Weekly deaths dropped last week from two weeks before when the number reported was 96. The fluctuation in reported deaths comes three weeks after Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Kieran Moore told reporters the latest wave of the virus, driven by the BA.5 Omicron subvariant, had peaked.

The province has said the seventh wave officially began June 19.

Deaths are considered a "lagging indicator," one of a number of severe outcomes that can continue to rise even after a wave peaks.

Newly released data from the Ministry of Health on Thursday shows the number of people in hospital with the virus has also increased slightly from 1,328 last week to 1,354 as of Thursday.

The number of people in intensive care also increased to 146, compared to 137 last week. Of those in intensive care, 62 patients are on a ventilator...
 
Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/bivalent-covid-vaccines-ontario-public-health-1.6577225

Ontario recieves 1st doses of bivalent COVID vaccines, reports 74 more deaths linked to virus
Updated Moderna vaccine targets original virus and first Omicron variant
CBC News · Posted: Sep 09, 2022 10:58 AM ET | Last Updated: 19 minutes ago

A first limited shipment of bivalent COVID-19 vaccines has arrived in Ontario, Minister of Health Sylvia Jones said Thursday, as the province reported 74 more people died with the illness over the last week.

In a brief post on Twitter, Jones said the new doses will be offered to especially vulnerable people, like long-term care residents, and to frontline health-care workers.

"More information about when others can book appointments will be available in the coming days," Jones added...

...Meanwhile, Public Health Ontario reported another 7,419 laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the province over the last week.

Some 1,248 people with the illness are currently in hospitals, three more than at the same time last week. Of those patients, 135 were being treated in intensive care, the same number as last Thursday. Forty-seven needed a ventilator to breathe.

The test positivity rate was 12.3 per cent, up from 11.3 per cent last week on roughly the same number of tests.

The additional deaths of people with COVID-19 over the last week push the province's official toll to 14,129.
 
Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-sept-15-2022-7th-wave-1.6584750

Ontario reports 85 new COVID-19 deaths as top doctor says 'risk of transmission will be going up'
Thursday's new reported deaths are an increase from 74 the week prior
CBC News · Posted: Sep 15, 2022 6:39 PM ET | Last Updated: September 15

Ontario is reporting 85 more deaths linked to COVID-19 over the past seven days as the province's top doctor says there is ample supply of the Omicron-targeted vaccine, even for those not eligible for the shot until later this month.

Thursday's new reported deaths are an increase from 74 the week prior.

The rise in deaths comes just two weeks after Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Kieran Moore announced those who test positive for the virus no longer need to isolate for a period of five days. Instead, the new guidelines ask people to stay home until their fever clears and their symptoms improve for at least 24 hours, wearing a mask in all settings for 10 days afterward.

Members of the now-scrapped science table have said they would have advised against the lifting of the isolation period had they been consulted on the move.

The most recent wave of the illness to hit Ontario — which started on June 19 — is being fuelled by other Omicron variants, BA. 4 and BA. 5. Moore has said the seventh wave peaked in early August.

Deaths are considered a "lagging indicator," one of a number of severe outcomes that can continue to rise even after a wave peaks...
 
Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-vaccine-children-ontario-uptake-1.6591216

Ontario reports 65 new COVID-19 deaths, with vaccine uptake for children lower than expected
Only about 6% of eligible children under 5 years old have had a shot
Allison Jones · The Canadian Press · Posted: Sep 22, 2022 9:10 AM ET | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

Ontario is reporting 65 new deaths linked to COVID-19, while the number of children under the age of five getting vaccinated against the virus is even lower than the relatively low number many experts had expected.

Newly released data from the Ontario Ministry of Health on Thursday shows the number of people in hospital with the virus dropped slightly to 1,141 from 1,167 this time last week.

The number of people in intensive care due to COVID-19 stayed relatively stable at 129 while last week's number was 130. Of those in intensive care, 57 patients are on a ventilator, up from 47 last week.

Test positivity on Thursday climbed slightly to 13.1 per cent, up from 12.2 per cent last Thursday...
 
Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-sept-29-2022-1.6600738

Ontario reports 72 new COVID-19 deaths as wastewater signals climb once again
Number of people in hospital with virus rises to 1,265
CBC News · Posted: Sep 29, 2022 3:00 PM ET | Last Updated: September 29

Ontario is reporting 72 new deaths linked to COVID-19, as wastewater signals are once again on the rise after trending downward for months, according to the latest report from Public Health Ontario.

New data released Thursday from the Ontario Ministry of Health shows the number of people in hospital with the virus climbed from 1,141 this time last week to 1,265 this week.

The number of people in intensive care with COVID-19 also rose slightly from 129 to 133. Of those, 57 patients require a ventilator to breathe, about the same as last week's total of 58.

Test positivity on Thursday dropped slightly to 12.5 per cent, down from 13.1 per cent last Thursday.

Meanwhile, the latest report from Public Health Ontario, which is updated every Friday, shows the level of the novel coronavirus seen in Ontario's wastewater began creeping upward around the first week of September and is estimated to have been climbing since.

That's after a period of plateau and slow decline following a peak in early July...
 
Source: https://globalnews.ca/news/9184461/public-health-ontario-covid-cases-rising/

Public Health Ontario says COVID cases have gradually risen
By Staff The Canadian Press
Posted October 7, 2022 1:02 pm

Public Health Ontario says it’s noticed a gradual rise in COVID-19 cases over the past three weeks and expects that to continue.

The agency says there were 8,300 cases of COVID-19 detected from Sept. 25 to Oct. 1, compared to 8,106 the week before.

It says projections suggest case numbers may gradually increase over the next two weeks, though case counts are an underestimate of the actual number of COVID-19 cases since the province change testing eligibility late last year.

Public Health Ontario says hospital admissions are down 12 per cent, with 365 people admitted last week compared to 415 admissions the week prior...
 
Source: https://www.cp24.com/news/covid-19-...rns-of-complex-and-difficult-winter-1.6107971

COVID-19 hospitalizations in Ontario reach five-month high as top health official warns of 'complex and difficult winter'
Chris Fox, CP24.com Managing Digital Producer
Published Thursday, October 13, 2022 4:06PM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, October 13, 2022 4:06PM EDT

The number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 in Ontario has reached a five-month high and most public health indicators now point to a worsening wave of the pandemic.

The latest data released by the Ministry of Health suggests that there were 1,629 people hospitalized with COVID-19 as of Wednesday, up nearly 12 per cent from one week prior.

It is the highest number of people simultaneously in hospital with the virus since May 4.

The number of COVID patients being treated in intensive care also saw a similar jump over the last week, rising to 143 from 131.

Meanwhile, the positivity rate on PCR tests continued to tick upward.

Over the last seven days, 14.9 per cent of tests have come back positive, up from the 13.6 per cent the previous week and 12.4 per cent two weeks ago...
 
Source: https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...-evasive-covid-sub-variants-arrive-in-ontario

Health officials watching with concern as new, more evasive COVID sub-variants arrive in Ontario
“Right now, it is a kind of tsunami of variants coming at us and they all have the potential to be immune evasive."
Author of the article:
Elizabeth Payne
Publishing date:
Oct 17, 2022 • 4 hours ago • 3 minute read •

A new COVID-19 sub-variant that can evade antibody treatment is gaining a foothold in Ottawa and across Ontario.
Article content

Public health officials are watching that sub-variant, known as BF.7, closely. They are also watching other new variants, known as BQ.1 and BQ.1.1, which are just beginning to show up in Ontario but are causing concern around the world because of their ability to evade immunity from vaccines and past infections. BQ.1 is considered among the most immune evasive variants yet.

“Right now, it is a kind of tsunami of variants coming at us and they all have the potential to be immune evasive,” said Tyson Graber, research associate at CHEO Research Institute and co-lead investigator on Ottawa’s coronavirus wastewater testing program.

The new sub-variants are arriving at a time when COVID-19 case counts, outbreaks and hospitalizations are increasing across Ontario in the midst of a hospital staffing crisis that has seen hospitals increasingly overwhelmed. Many are predicting a bigger surge of COVID-19 cases in coming weeks.
Article content

In a recently published risk assessment, Public Health Ontario said the convergence of spike protein mutations in the sub-variant, known as BF.7, are of concern “due to their ability to escape neutralizing antibody therapeutics.”

That means the monoclonal antibody treatments that make up a key part of the toolkit to treat patients with severe COVID-19 would not be as effective, or effective at all, against cases of the new sub-variant...
 
Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-oct-20-2022-1.6623707

Ontario reports 109 new COVID-19 deaths, a number not seen since May
Number of dead in new provincial data a significant jump from 67 deaths reported last week
CBC News · Posted: Oct 20, 2022 4:40 PM ET | Last Updated: 1 hour ago
The new numbers paint a stark picture of the toll of the virus. Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Kieran Moore warned last month that the risk of transmission would increase during the colder months. (Evan Mitsui/CBC)

Ontario is reporting 109 new COVID-19 deaths over the past seven days — the single highest death count since early May during the sixth wave of the pandemic.

The weekly death toll comes from new data released Thursday by the province's ministry of health, which reported 67 deaths the week before.

Not since May 6, when deaths numbered 112 for the week, has the province reported a death toll this high.

The province's weekly data release normally includes seven individual days' worth of information spanning the number of newly reported COVID cases, hospitalizations, intensive care admissions and deaths. This week's release is missing three days of data — Oct. 15, 16 and 17.

CBC News has contacted the Ministry of Health to inquire about the missing information.

The new numbers paint a stark picture of the toll of the virus. Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Kieran Moore warned last month that the risk of transmission for the novel coronavirus would increase during the colder months.
Hospitalizations rise

According to the data, the number of people in hospital with the virus climbed to 1,663 Thursday, from 1,629 the week before.

The number of people in intensive care with COVID-19 also rose to 158 from 143 this time last week. Of those, 65 patients require a ventilator to breathe, up from 56 the week prior...
 
Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-oct-27-2022-1.6631924


Ontario's COVID-19 hospitalizations highest in 8 months; 121 new deaths reported
Not since February has the province seen hospitalizations of those with virus this high
CBC News · Posted: Oct 27, 2022 3:34 PM ET | Last Updated: 32 minutes ago

Ontario is reporting 121 new COVID-19 deaths and 1,921 hospitalizations over the past seven days — the highest reported hospitalization rate since February.

The newly reported hospitalizations from the Ministry of Health's weekly data are a jump from 1,663 at the same time last week when the province reported 109 deaths.

Not since Feb. 9 has Ontario seen COVID-19 hospitalizations this high. On that day, the province reported 2,059 people in hospital with the virus.

The province's weekly data release normally includes seven individual days worth of information spanning the number of newly reported COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations, intensive care admissions and deaths. Last week's release did not include three days of data from Oct. 15, 16 and 17 — which the ministry attributed to "technical difficulties."

The new numbers paint a stark picture of the growing toll of the virus, particularly amid an expected rise in hospitalizations beginning in the fall. Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Kieran Moore warned last month that the risk of transmission for the novel coronavirus would increase during the colder months...
 
Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-november-3-2022-1.6639625

Another 120 people died from COVID-19 in Ontario this week. Here's what you need to know
New numbers come as province's top doctor says mask mandates not out of question amid 'triple threat'
CBC News · Posted: Nov 03, 2022 3:36 PM ET | Last Updated: November 3

Another 120 people have died as a result of COVID-19 in Ontario over the past week, while the province's reported hospitalizations linked to the virus dipped slightly but remain higher than they've been in eight months.

The newly reported data from the Ministry of Health shows the number of people in hospital with the virus dropped from 1,921 last week to 1,842 this week. Not since February has the province seen numbers of hospitalizations this high.

Of those in hospital, 140 are in intensive care, a slight drop from the 148 reported last Thursday.

Ontario's official COVID-19 death toll is now 14,844, inching closer to the 15,000-mark. Earlier this year, the province changed its reporting to exclude deaths not directly attributed to the virus.

The new numbers come as Ontario faces with its top doctor has called a "triple threat" of a bad flu season, COVID-19 and the resurgence of a viral illness in children known as RSV...
 
Source: https://www.cp24.com/news/covid-19-death-toll-in-ontario-surpasses-15-000-1.6157826

COVID-19 death toll in Ontario surpasses 15,000
Chris Fox, CP24.com Managing Digital Producer
Published Thursday, November 17, 2022 4:47PM EST
Last Updated Thursday, November 17, 2022 4:50PM EST

The number of Ontarians whose deaths have been linked to COVID-19 has surpassed 15,000.

The grim milestone was reached late last week but was not confirmed publicly at the time, as Ontario only updates its COVID-19 data on Thursdays.

The latest data suggests that another 105 net new deaths were added to Ontario’s pandemic over the last week, bringing the total number of fatalities linked to COVID-19 over the nearly three year life of the pandemic to 15,087.

Ontario previously reached 10,000 deaths on Nov. 30 of last year.

It should be noted that while a surge in respiratory infections has overwhelmed pediatric intensive care units in Ontario, the number of adults testing positive for COVID-19 in hospitals could be on the decline.

The latest data from the ministry reveals that there 1,390 people in hospital testing positive for COVID-19 as of Wednesday, down about 17 per cent from one week prior.

The number of those patients needing treatment in intensive care was also down about 17 per cent week-over-week and now stands at 119.

That is the lowest that number has been since Sept. 24...
 
Source: https://www.cp24.com/news/data-cont...en-as-influenza-and-rsv-cases-surge-1.6167557


Data continues to point to reduction in COVID-19 viral activity, even as influenza and RSV cases surge
Published Thursday, November 24, 2022 4:09PM EST
Last Updated Thursday, November 24, 2022 4:09PM EST

Most public health indicators continue to point to a reduction in COVID-19 viral activity, even as Ontario’s pediatric hospitals struggle to manage an influx of patients with other upper respiratory infections, such as influenza and RSV.

The latest data released by the Ministry of Health on Thursday showed that the number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 has fallen to 1,166, with 130 of those people requiring treatment in intensive care.

That is down 16 per cent from this time last week when 1,390 people were testing positive for COVID-19 in Ontario hospitals, including 119 in intensive care...
 
Back
Top