• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

One third of Victorians may have flu

kiwibird

Editor, Senior Moderator
One in three Victorians may have flu

By JULIA MEDEW and CONRAD WALTERS - SMH Last updated 10:01 15/06/2009


2501171.jpg

EXTRA MEASURES: Australia is looking at ramping up its swine flu measures with news that as many as one in three Victorians could have the virus.
<!-- Begin relevant offers adspace--> <script>add_batch_ad('adRELEVANTOFFER1', '240x45_SPECIALOFFER','RELEVANTOFFER1');</script>


<!--story_features(_empty)--> <!-- -normal_story_landing- --> <!--start components/story/common_content--> Australia is getting set to ramp up its response to the swine flu virus, as estimates show up to a third of Victorians could now be infected.
As the number of Australians known to be infected hits 1515, the Health Minister, Nicola Roxon, said all states and territories would move to the "sustain" phase of the Government's pandemic plan this week.
The shift would mean fewer tests and quarantine measures to contain the H1N1 virus and a greater focus on those most at risk of serious illness, such as the elderly, the very young, and those with health conditions.
In South Korea yesterday, 23 members of an Australian lacrosse team were being held in a quarantine facility after a player tested positive for the virus.
A professor from Queensland's University of Technology emailed media outlets on Saturday to say he and a group of his students had been quarantined in Beijing for a week because of the presence of swine flu in Australia.
Professor Alan Knight, who leads the journalism program at the university, said the group had been ordered to move to a new hotel from today.
Ms Roxon said seven people were being treated in intensive care units, four in Victoria, two in South Australia and one in Tasmania.
"Those who have been hospitalised generally have had other conditions or complications, such as ? respiratory conditions," she said.
Greg Tannock, a virologist from the Burnet Institute in Melbourne, said although it was difficult to estimate, up to one in three people could have picked up the virus by now. "But that's based on sheer gut feeling ? we need hard data," the professor said.
The president of the Australian Medical Association Victoria, Harry Hemley, said doctors had been overwhelmed with people suffering respiratory infections in recent weeks.
"I would say about one-third of the population has some sort of upper respiratory infection right now, but I can't say how many of those have swine flu," he said.
Dr Hemley said many GPs had been exposed to the virus while caring for patients because protective equipment released from the Federal Government's stockpile had not yet arrived.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/2501142/One-in-three-Victorians-may-have-flu
 
Back
Top