kiwibird
Editor, Senior Moderator
One in three Victorians may have flu
By JULIA MEDEW and CONRAD WALTERS - SMH Last updated 10:01 15/06/2009
EXTRA MEASURES: Australia is looking at ramping up its swine flu measures with news that as many as one in three Victorians could have the virus.
<!-- Begin relevant offers adspace--> <script>add_batch_ad('adRELEVANTOFFER1', '240x45_SPECIALOFFER','RELEVANTOFFER1');</script>
<!--story_features(_empty)--> <!-- -normal_story_landing- --> <!--start components/story/common_content--> Australia is getting set to ramp up its response to the swine flu virus, as estimates show up to a third of Victorians could now be infected.
As the number of Australians known to be infected hits 1515, the Health Minister, Nicola Roxon, said all states and territories would move to the "sustain" phase of the Government's pandemic plan this week.
The shift would mean fewer tests and quarantine measures to contain the H1N1 virus and a greater focus on those most at risk of serious illness, such as the elderly, the very young, and those with health conditions.
In South Korea yesterday, 23 members of an Australian lacrosse team were being held in a quarantine facility after a player tested positive for the virus.
A professor from Queensland's University of Technology emailed media outlets on Saturday to say he and a group of his students had been quarantined in Beijing for a week because of the presence of swine flu in Australia.
Professor Alan Knight, who leads the journalism program at the university, said the group had been ordered to move to a new hotel from today.
Ms Roxon said seven people were being treated in intensive care units, four in Victoria, two in South Australia and one in Tasmania.
"Those who have been hospitalised generally have had other conditions or complications, such as ? respiratory conditions," she said.
Greg Tannock, a virologist from the Burnet Institute in Melbourne, said although it was difficult to estimate, up to one in three people could have picked up the virus by now. "But that's based on sheer gut feeling ? we need hard data," the professor said.
The president of the Australian Medical Association Victoria, Harry Hemley, said doctors had been overwhelmed with people suffering respiratory infections in recent weeks.
"I would say about one-third of the population has some sort of upper respiratory infection right now, but I can't say how many of those have swine flu," he said.
Dr Hemley said many GPs had been exposed to the virus while caring for patients because protective equipment released from the Federal Government's stockpile had not yet arrived.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/2501142/One-in-three-Victorians-may-have-flu
By JULIA MEDEW and CONRAD WALTERS - SMH Last updated 10:01 15/06/2009
EXTRA MEASURES: Australia is looking at ramping up its swine flu measures with news that as many as one in three Victorians could have the virus.
<!-- Begin relevant offers adspace--> <script>add_batch_ad('adRELEVANTOFFER1', '240x45_SPECIALOFFER','RELEVANTOFFER1');</script>
<!--story_features(_empty)--> <!-- -normal_story_landing- --> <!--start components/story/common_content--> Australia is getting set to ramp up its response to the swine flu virus, as estimates show up to a third of Victorians could now be infected.
As the number of Australians known to be infected hits 1515, the Health Minister, Nicola Roxon, said all states and territories would move to the "sustain" phase of the Government's pandemic plan this week.
The shift would mean fewer tests and quarantine measures to contain the H1N1 virus and a greater focus on those most at risk of serious illness, such as the elderly, the very young, and those with health conditions.
In South Korea yesterday, 23 members of an Australian lacrosse team were being held in a quarantine facility after a player tested positive for the virus.
A professor from Queensland's University of Technology emailed media outlets on Saturday to say he and a group of his students had been quarantined in Beijing for a week because of the presence of swine flu in Australia.
Professor Alan Knight, who leads the journalism program at the university, said the group had been ordered to move to a new hotel from today.
Ms Roxon said seven people were being treated in intensive care units, four in Victoria, two in South Australia and one in Tasmania.
"Those who have been hospitalised generally have had other conditions or complications, such as ? respiratory conditions," she said.
Greg Tannock, a virologist from the Burnet Institute in Melbourne, said although it was difficult to estimate, up to one in three people could have picked up the virus by now. "But that's based on sheer gut feeling ? we need hard data," the professor said.
The president of the Australian Medical Association Victoria, Harry Hemley, said doctors had been overwhelmed with people suffering respiratory infections in recent weeks.
"I would say about one-third of the population has some sort of upper respiratory infection right now, but I can't say how many of those have swine flu," he said.
Dr Hemley said many GPs had been exposed to the virus while caring for patients because protective equipment released from the Federal Government's stockpile had not yet arrived.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/2501142/One-in-three-Victorians-may-have-flu