• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Omaha officials report 1 more death tied to flu

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
Home / News / State and Regional News / Nebraska News

Omaha officials report 1 more death tied to flu

By the Associated Press | Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 3:25 pm |

<DL class=moz-border id=story-font-size done24="95" done23="95" done15="95" done14="95" done13="95" done10="95" done7="95" done27="0" done26="0"><DT>OMAHA -- Douglas County health officials say another person sickened by the H1N1 flu has died.Health officials said Monday that a Douglas County man who was more than 50 years old has died. The man had been hospitalized for six days and tested positive for the flu last week. He also had a pre-existing health condition.<DT><DT>No other details were immediately released.</DT></DL>Seven other deaths connected to the flu strain have been reported by state and local health officials. All seven had underlying medical conditions that officials said may have contributed to their deaths.

http://www.journalstar.com/news/sta...cle_7748e1ba-c7f6-11de-83a9-001cc4c03286.html
 
Re: Omaha officials report 1 more death tied to flu

Douglas County Reports 3rd Swine Flu Death

Posted:<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>var wn_last_ed_date = getLEDate("Nov 2, 2009 4:31 PM EST"); document.write(wn_last_ed_date);</SCRIPT> Nov 2, 2009 03:31 PM CST

Omaha, NE - A third person has died from H1N1 in Douglas County. 58-year-old John Bernardi tested positive for H1N1 last week and had been hospitalized for six days when he died. Bernardi was the branch manager of the Charles Washington Library at 28th and Ames.

"This is another very sad day for our community and this family," Health Director Dr. Adi Pour said. "Unfortunately, we know that H1N1, like the seasonal flu, can sometimes lead to serious health complications."

Library co-workers credit Bernardi for making the Washington Branch the center of the North Omaha community, organizing the annual Kwanzaa celebration, the June Family Fair. the Friday Night Youth Summer Jumpoff for teens and Thrilling Thursdays.

John is remembered as a tireless worker for literacy and the library community. He served on the board of the Literacy Center of the Midlands, was editor of the Nebraska Library Association's quarterly publication NLAQ and was on numerous committees for the statewide Nebraska Library Association.

The funeral is Wednesday at 1:00 p.m. at Korisko Larkin Staskiewicz Funeral Home. Visitation is Tuesday night beginning at 7:00.
The county's first swine flu death was in late August, the second in October.

Douglas County will open it's first public H1N1 vaccine clinic Thursday, November 4 from 9:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m at First United Methodist Church, 70th and Cass. The vaccine will be available to persons in the high risk group, including children six months to 24-years old, caregivers of infants younger than six months, emergency and health care workers, pregnant woman and adults up to 64-years-old with chronic health conditions.

http://www.kmtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11428804&nav=menu550_1
 
Re: Omaha officials report 1 more death tied to flu

Library Manager Dies From H1N1 Complications

John Bernardi, 58, Reportedly In Good Health Before Infection

UPDATED: 6:27 pm CST November 2, 2009


OMAHA, Neb. -- KETV Newswatch 7 has learned that the branch manager at the Omaha Public Library's Washington branch died from complications of the H1N1 virus.

John Bernardi, 58, became ill on Oct. 25 and died Saturday. He's the eighth person in the state to die from H1N1 complications.

A loved one said Bernardi had high blood pressure but otherwise was in good health. Bernardi died after the virus attacked his lungs and spurred a secondary infection.

His family said the symptoms hit while he was on vacation in Missouri.

Bernardi was taken to a hospital on Oct. 25 with breathing problems. He was put on oxygen. On Wednesday, an H1N1 infection was confirmed. On Saturday, he suffered cardiac arrest and died at a hospital.

Family and friends said they're in shock because the death was so sudden.

"As soon as I walked past his office it just ... I just broke down," said coworker David Bishop.

Bishop said Bernardi immersed himself into the community and was dedicated to helping others.

"Everything he did was with kids in mind because a lot of times there is not a lot of things to do in this neighborhood," he said. "There's not a lot of community centers and this library was actually a community center."

Bernardi has been with the Omaha Public Library system for the past 25 years and was well-known in the community the library served.

Coworkers said he was best known for his Saturday reading program called Primetime. It was designed to get parents and children reading together. A session was scheduled on the same day he died.

"His staff was strong and rallied together and continued with that

Saturday program," said coworker Mary Griffin. "We knew that he would not want that program to be canceled and so it went forward."

They said Bernardi's legacy won't be forgotten.

"He was loved and he's going to be missed a lot. The kids around here are going to miss him," Bishop said.

Bernardi's funeral has been scheduled for Wednesday.


Virus Kills By Attacking Damaged Cells

Doctors said infections like the one Bernardi suffered are why the H1N1 virus should be taken seriously.

Doctor: Virus Kills By Attacking Damaged Cells

When a person suffers from influenza, however mild it is, the lungs and respiratory system are being damaged. Doctors said that damage makes it easier for bacteria to get inside and cause potentially life-threatening infections.

The H1N1 flu is relatively mild for thousands of people. But University of Nebraska Medical Center's Dr. Mark Rupp said some people, for no apparent reason, will get a bad case of influenza or an extra infection.

If you come down with an infection, Rupp advised drinking fluids and avoiding any extra stress on the body.

If you start feeling better and then worse, or if you have trouble breathing, go to the hospital, Rupp said.

He said even people who take all the right steps can acquire a secondary infection.

"We think it's because the virus damages the respiratory cells and damaged cells are much easier for bacteria to come into and invade," he said.

The seasonal flu kills 20,000 to 40,000 people each year, as a result of either complications or secondary infections.

http://www.ketv.com/news/21497748/detail.html
 
Back
Top