• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

NZ, Invercargill Hospital Rehab Unit - norovirus suspected

alert

Senior Moderator
http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert_read.php?glide=EH-20091217-24199-NZL&cat=dis&lang=eng

Southland Hospital has locked down its rehabilitation unit after an outbreak of an unknown gastro virus. Fourteen patients in the hospital's Assessment, Treatment and Rehabilitation Unit fell ill with vomiting and diarrhoea this week. Southland District Health Board chief operating officer Lexie O'Shea said tests were being carried out to determine if the illness was the highly infectious norovirus and staff were taking infection control measures. Staff were alerted on Monday after several patients fell ill and the situation was monitored. The unit was closed on Tuesday after more patients became ill, Mrs O'Shea said. The virus had not affected any other part of the hospital, she said. The unit would remain closed to the public "until we feel we are past the worst of the virus", she said. She urged all visitors who had been ill with vomiting or diarrhoea or who had been in contact with someone with those symptoms, to stay away from the hospital until 48 hours after symptoms stopped. It was also essential people remembered the importance of good hand hygiene to prevent the virus spreading further, she said. Mrs O'Shea said this was the first time part of the hospital had been closed this year. The children's ward was closed in December 2007 after an outbreak of the antibiotic resistant bug methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).
 
Back
Top