• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

NZ: Hotels refuse quarantined passengers

kiwibird

Editor, Senior Moderator
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10569496

Big jump in suspected swine flu cases [Swine flu cases rise] [Swine flu cases in NZ]
8:08AM Thursday Apr 30, 2009
By Jacqueline Smith


The number of people with suspected swine flu in New Zealand jumped late last night to 96.

Official reports earlier in the day had put the number at 35.

They included five international travellers who landed in Auckland yesterday.

They were treated and are being kept in isolation at a secret location.

Deputy Director of Public Health Dr Fran McGrath said the rise in numbers reflected the increased effort being made to detect cases.

Health Minister Tony Ryall said those on the "suspected case" list included people who had returned from Mexico or the US within the past week and had developed flu-like symptoms.

They had been tested for influenza A, and if the tests were positive they would then be tested for swine flu.

One of the suspected cases was a person who returned from the United States on Wednesday last week.

Previously, the first cases had been thought to have arrived during the weekend.

Two hotels near Auckland Airport that were asked to take the five international travellers, who have mild flu-like symptoms, told the Herald they refused because of the risk to staff and other guests.


The clinical director of the Auckland Regional Public Health Service, Dr Julia Peters, said the five arrived yesterday morning - the fifth day of New Zealand's swine flu outbreak - on a Qantas flight.

Dr Peters said test samples were taken and the five were treated at Middlemore Hospital before being taken to isolation accommodation.

She did not know where they were being kept.

"They must have identified themselves as having symptoms and were assessed by our medical team."

Health authorities asked Centra Auckland Airport Hotel and Hotel Grand Chancellor Auckland Airport about taking the five patients.

The Centra's general manager, Geoff Haigh, said he could not put people with suspected swine flu in the same facilities as other guests.

Grand Chancellor general manager Brett Stuart also said housing the suspected cases at his hotel would be inappropriate.

The number of confirmed cases was last night reduced from 14 to 13.

They include 12 from the Rangitoto College group that returned on Saturday from Mexico, via Los Angeles. The other is a person who was on the same Air NZ flight as the college group.

In Mexico, health authorities say the virus is thought to have killed 159 people and infected more than 2000.

But the World Health Organisation said early yesterday that the death toll of confirmed cases was seven - all in Mexico, where it said there had been 26 confirmed human cases.

That number increased to eight late last night when the US Centres for Disease Control said a 23-month-old child in Texas had died - the first reported fatality outside Mexico.

The US government has also reported 91 laboratory confirmed human cases.

The WHO said Austria had confirmed one case of swine flu, Canada 13, Germany three, Israel two, Spain four and the UK five.

FLU FACTS

Annual figures for the various forms of influenza in NZ put the swine-flu alert in perspective:

* 47,700 estimated number who caught influenza between May and September last year.
* 42 per cent had the A strains of virus.
* 58 per cent had the B strains.
* 100 deaths a year are caused directly by flu.
* The number of flu cases and the A/B split vary greatly each year. Last year's flu season was considered moderate.
 
Re: Hotels refuse quarantined passengers

Re: Hotels refuse quarantined passengers

Hello Kiwibird, and my best health wishes to you and the other NZ.

The Hotels prudence to not allow the illnessed with others was good.

The right way to make quarantines at hotels is by requiring a hotel for a season (payed by the gov, and later to be decontaminated), equipt it for receiving quarantine patients, which that way would have an more confortable quarantine.

Or if this option is not good, than military field shelters (or special ones) would be used.

Dr. Niman was right, a phase 6 is a matter of days (or yester-days).

Now we are all (almost) on the same sinking boat.

My best health wishes to FT and to all worldwide.
 
Back
Top