• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

NZ health Minister "WHO has raised its pandemic alert level from phase three to four on a scale of six and is expected to lift it again"

Sally Furniss

Well-known member
The World Health Organisation has raised its pandemic alert level from phase three to four on a scale of six and is expected to lift it again, says Health Minister Tony Ryall.

Mr Ryall told a media conference in Wellington on Tuesday that the WHO has indicated that work will begin on a vaccine against swine flu but it is six to eight months away.


And in a statement to Parliament, Mr Ryall said all 356 passengers on a flight into Auckland on Saturday with Rangitoto College students suspected of having the swine flu had been asked to stay at home in quarantine.


The Government has warned against non-urgent travel to Mexico, the suspected source of the swine flu pandemic.


Mr Ryall told Parliament of the change in the Government's travel advisory on Tuesday afternoon. He told MPs there was cause for concern and caution, but not alarm.


Mr Ryall outlined the events that have led to its "code yellow" response, including the release of Tamiflu and the presence of doctors and nurses at international airports.


Mr Ryall said existing health measures were fully justified and that officials were ready for any escalation in the domestic or international swine flu situation.


The Government says a further 56 people have come forward with flu-like symptoms and are being tested for influenza A.


Three members of a Northcote College group were cleared of the flu on Tuesday, while nine Rangitoto College students and a teacher wait for a verdict on whether they have swine flu.


Mr Ryall says the world health body has asked countries to put their efforts into mitigating the effects of swine flu, rather than containing it.
Raising the level means the likelihood of a pandemic has increased, but is not inevitable.


Prime Minister John Key does not think New Zealand needs to follow the WHO and upgrade its response to the swine flu alert. Mr Key says a good plan is in place and he is confident health officials are doing everything they can.


Labour leader Phil Goff also says he is satisfied with the response from health officials, noting that stocks of the anti-viral drug Tamiflu are already in place.


The swine flu strain, known as H1N1, is a variant of influenza A. It is the same strain that causes seasonal flu outbreaks in humans, but the newly detected version contains genetic material from versions of flu that usually affect pigs and birds. It is spread mainly through coughs and sneezes.
Students wait impatiently

Rangitoto College principal David Hodge says his quarantined students are impatient as they wait for results that will tell them if they have swine flu.


Nine students and a teacher have tested positive for influenza A, but they will not know if it is swine flu until they get test results from a Melbourne laboratory.


A total of 20 more teachers and students are also off school because of contact with the group.
Mr Hodge says he has spoken to most of those who have been unwell and they are feeling much better.
More cases

Mr Ryall says eight of the the extra cases are in the Auckland region and the rest are around the country.


Mr Ryall says nose and throat swabs are being taken to confirm whether these people have influenza A and results should be available within 24 hours.


Test results from a WHO lab in Melbourne are still expected later this week confirming whether the 10 from Rangitoto College have swine flu.
Officials says they have traced all but 18 passengers on the flight with the Rangitoto students, and they are being given Tamiflu.


Public health director Mark Jacobs says the Northcote College group remains in quarantine, but officials are no longer tracing passengers on their flight from North America.


Public health officials are still meeting all flights from Mexico and North America at Auckland international airport, but no passengers have so far have had significant symptoms.


Officials say people who have travelled to Mexico or North America recently and has flu-like symptoms should phone their family doctor, but others with such symptoms have normal winter illnesses.


The Ministry of Health says people who have travelled to North and South America in the past fortnight should contact the Healthline.
Flu is characterised by a sudden fever, muscle aches, sore throat and dry cough. Victims of the new strain have also suffered more vomiting and diarrhoea than is usual with flu.


The Healthline number is: 0800 611 116.


http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/stories/2009/04/28/1245aad3d2fb
 
Back
Top