Swine flu assessment by phone
As the death toll from swine flu continues to climb, doctors are considering assessing flu patients over the phone for medical certificates.
Chief coroner Judge Neil MacLean confirmed yesterday that autopsy tests on two South Island men were positive for influenza A H1N1, bringing the number of fatal New Zealand swine flu cases to five.
One of the men, a Blenheim resident who died at home on July 1, was found by a relative. Health authorities haven't named him, but family confirmed he was Mongrel Mob member and father-of-five Brian Te Whiti Harmer, 46.
He had pre-existing health problems, including obesity, and had not seen a doctor for some time.
Mr Harmer was buried on Monday after a tangi at Kahuranaki Marae in Te Hauke, Hawke's Bay.
Nelson-Marlborough medical officer of health Ed Kiddle said the cause of death would not be determined till the full autopsy findings were reviewed but it was likely swine flu was "a contributing factor".
"It is sad to hear of any death in our community and our thoughts are with the family at this time," Dr Kiddle said.
The body of a 49-year-old Christchurch man with a history of asthma, who died at home on Saturday or Sunday, also tested positive for the virus.
Deputy director of public health Fran McGrath said people with other significant health conditions were at higher risk of more serious illness from influenza.
"However, there is growing evidence that some previously healthy people can also develop a more serious illness."
The first reported death was 19-year-old Hamilton asthmatic Zachary Wilson, who died at home on June 28.
A Christchurch man, 42, died at home last Thursday, and an eight-year-old girl with cerebral palsy died in Wellington Hospital on Saturday.
The coroner's office is waiting for test results on four other people.
The total number of confirmed cases in New Zealand yesterday reached 1272, up from 1195 the day before.
Meanwhile, health authorities are considering whether doctors should be allowed to issue medical certificates on the basis of telephone consultations.
Medical Association spokesman Mark Peterson said some employers were insisting on medical certificates from workers sick with swine flu, which was creating a problem for health clinics.
"Most people can self-manage their illness and the key public health message has been to stay home and not spread it around," he said. "But this unravels if we have employers insisting on medical certificates."
GPs have been criticised previously for issuing medical certificates over the phone but the Medical Council and Health Ministry are considering relaxing the rules during the pandemic.
Dr Peterson said he was concerned some people particularly the elderly might take advice to isolate themselves too literally.
"Certainly if there is any indication the illness is becoming more serious, especially if there is difficulty breathing, people must seek medical advice."
Since news of the deaths broke on Sunday, Healthline has received high volumes of calls, with more than 2000 answered every day this week.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/swine-flu/2576885/Swine-flu-assessment-by-phone-possible
As the death toll from swine flu continues to climb, doctors are considering assessing flu patients over the phone for medical certificates.
Chief coroner Judge Neil MacLean confirmed yesterday that autopsy tests on two South Island men were positive for influenza A H1N1, bringing the number of fatal New Zealand swine flu cases to five.
One of the men, a Blenheim resident who died at home on July 1, was found by a relative. Health authorities haven't named him, but family confirmed he was Mongrel Mob member and father-of-five Brian Te Whiti Harmer, 46.
He had pre-existing health problems, including obesity, and had not seen a doctor for some time.
Mr Harmer was buried on Monday after a tangi at Kahuranaki Marae in Te Hauke, Hawke's Bay.
Nelson-Marlborough medical officer of health Ed Kiddle said the cause of death would not be determined till the full autopsy findings were reviewed but it was likely swine flu was "a contributing factor".
"It is sad to hear of any death in our community and our thoughts are with the family at this time," Dr Kiddle said.
The body of a 49-year-old Christchurch man with a history of asthma, who died at home on Saturday or Sunday, also tested positive for the virus.
Deputy director of public health Fran McGrath said people with other significant health conditions were at higher risk of more serious illness from influenza.
"However, there is growing evidence that some previously healthy people can also develop a more serious illness."
The first reported death was 19-year-old Hamilton asthmatic Zachary Wilson, who died at home on June 28.
A Christchurch man, 42, died at home last Thursday, and an eight-year-old girl with cerebral palsy died in Wellington Hospital on Saturday.
The coroner's office is waiting for test results on four other people.
The total number of confirmed cases in New Zealand yesterday reached 1272, up from 1195 the day before.
Meanwhile, health authorities are considering whether doctors should be allowed to issue medical certificates on the basis of telephone consultations.
Medical Association spokesman Mark Peterson said some employers were insisting on medical certificates from workers sick with swine flu, which was creating a problem for health clinics.
"Most people can self-manage their illness and the key public health message has been to stay home and not spread it around," he said. "But this unravels if we have employers insisting on medical certificates."
GPs have been criticised previously for issuing medical certificates over the phone but the Medical Council and Health Ministry are considering relaxing the rules during the pandemic.
Dr Peterson said he was concerned some people particularly the elderly might take advice to isolate themselves too literally.
"Certainly if there is any indication the illness is becoming more serious, especially if there is difficulty breathing, people must seek medical advice."
Since news of the deaths broke on Sunday, Healthline has received high volumes of calls, with more than 2000 answered every day this week.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/swine-flu/2576885/Swine-flu-assessment-by-phone-possible