• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

NZ - 35 deaths from A/H1N1

Re: NZ - 16 deaths from A/H1N1

Re: NZ - 16 deaths from A/H1N1

17th death related to swine flu confirmed

<!-- UID: 8e17b483e2807d707113d23bf0898243886a9afa AID: 2050847 C: 2009-08-31 18:52:31 U: 2009-08-31 18:53:01 P: 2009-08-31 19:19:29 --> Updated at 6:53pm on 31 August 2009
The number of deaths in New Zealand linked to swine flu now stands at 17.
The Ministry of Health says a man, aged in his 30s, died in Auckland on Sunday. It says he had an underlying medical condition.
The ministry says the 17 deaths reported are those where swine flu was a primary cause of death.
Other deaths are being investigated by the Coroner's office.
 
Re: NZ - 17 deaths from A/H1N1

Re: NZ - 17 deaths from A/H1N1

http://www.canada.com/health/Latest+swine+victim+identified/1980274/story.html

Latest swine flu victim identified

By Sherri Zickefoose, Calgary HeraldSeptember 10, 2009

The New Zealand man who died of H1N1 influenza while in Calgary at WorldSkills has been identified.

Paul William Hartigan, 41, of New Plymouth, arrived in Calgary to support step-daughter Kirsty Lister, an army steward who competed in restaurant service, according to The Taranaki Daily News newspaper.

He died Thursday.

His wife, Roslyn, is in quarantine, the newspaper reports.

Hartigan is believed to have been suffering flu symptoms before arriving in Calgary. He began showing symptoms once in Canada and was admitted to a hospital on Tuesday, only to die of the illness two days later.

It can take up to a week for a patient to begin showing flu symptoms.

Many of the individuals to die from H1N1 have had some sort of pre-existing medical condition.

In the wake of Hartigan's death, New Zealand's deputy director of public health is calling on Alberta health officials to continue monitoring for flu symptoms before hundreds of WorldSkills competitors begin boarding flights for home.

Lister was initially quarantined after her stepfather's death as a precaution. She has not shown symptoms of illness, but withdrew from her event.

Hartigan was reported to be a runner who competed in marthons with his wife, according to the newspaper.

The New Zealand man is the eighth person with H1N1 to die in Alberta since it appeared earlier this year. The virus has infected more than 1,600 people in the province and Alberta Health expects a resurgence of cases as fall approaches.

In New Zealand, where the winter flu season is wrapping up, health officials are reporting 3,145 confirmed H1N1 cases and 17 deaths from the virus.

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service
 
Re: NZ - 17 deaths from A/H1N1

Re: NZ - 17 deaths from A/H1N1

An Auckland woman has died from swine flu this week, taking the death toll from the virus in New Zealand to 18.
The Health Ministry says the 67-year-old did not have the underlying health conditions normally associated with severe illness from swine flu.
The ministry says two people are still in hospital with swine flu or its complications.
Health officials say doctors' visits and calls to Healthline are back to normal levels for the time of year. Announcements about swine flu on flights have been suspended.
Officials say the medicines regulator Medsafe has approved a two-year extension to the expiry dates on boxes of the antiviral drug Tamiflu, following similar moves overseas.
Australia, which began offering a free vaccine against swine flu on Wednesday, has had 77 new hospitalisations with the virus this week. The death toll from swine flu stands at 180.


http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/stories/2009/09/30/1245c8c1b584
 
Re: NZ - 19 deaths from A/H1N1

Re: NZ - 19 deaths from A/H1N1

The total number of deaths in New Zealand attributed to swine flu is now 19 following a coroner's investigation of the September 21 death of a 35-year-old woman, with underlying medical conditions, in Waikato.

But the Ministry of Health expected the number to rise as the coroner completes investigations into a number of flu-related deaths over the last few months.

As at midday today there was no one in hospital with confirmed swine flu (H1N1) or its complications.

The outbreak among Japanese students in Christchurch served as a timely reminder, the ministry said.

Last weekend, some students among a group visiting from Japan developed influenza. Four students tested positive for swine flu and a number of others had influenza-like symptoms.

The ministry said it appeared that their illness originated in Japan.

Following treatment the group were all declared safe to travel and left New Zealand yesterday.

Levels of influenza activity were increasing in the northern hemisphere, and with international travel it was likely NZ would see further clusters of cases over coming months, the ministry said.
http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/6370580/swine-flu-deaths-in-nz-now-19/
 
Re: NZ - 20 deaths from A/H1N1

Re: NZ - 20 deaths from A/H1N1

Source: http://tvnz.co.nz/health-news/swine-flu-eats-away-woman-3141252

Swine flu "eats away" at woman
Published: 8:23AM Friday November 13, 2009

Source: NZPA

A 43-year-old South Canterbury woman has died after being ravaged by swine flu for three months.

She was the third worst case of swine flu in the world, because of the damage the disease had caused her otherwise healthy body, according to an Auckland doctor who had been treating her.

She had also made medical and scientific history by surviving so long, he has told the Timaru Herald.

The Waimate mother-of-four had no other health conditions when she was admitted to hospital on August 8 with flu-like symptoms.

In her 14 weeks in hospital, she was transferred from Timaru to Christchurch to Auckland as doctors struggled to save her.

In the intensive care unit there, one lung started to fail and she was left with only half of the second lung functioning.

The woman started to respond to medication which helped her blood circulation and was cleared of swine flu but it had "eaten away at her organs", the source says.
Advertisement

The family thought they were "on the home straight" but her condition deteriorated and she died at 10pm on Wednesday night.

New Zealand's official death toll from swine flu is now 20.
 
Re: NZ - 20 deaths from A/H1N1

Re: NZ - 20 deaths from A/H1N1

Woman, 43, dies after three-month swine flu battle

8:15 AM Friday Nov 13, 2009

A 43-year-old South Canterbury woman has died after being ravaged by swine flu for three months.

She was the third worst case of swine flu in the world, because of the damage the disease had caused her otherwise healthy body, an Auckland doctor who had been treating her said.

She had also made medical and scientific history by surviving so long, he told the Timaru Herald.

The Waimate mother-of-four had no other health conditions when she was admitted to hospital on August 8 with flu-like symptoms.

In her 14 weeks in hospital, she was transferred from Timaru to Christchurch to Auckland as doctors struggled to save her.

In the intensive care unit there, one lung started to fail and she was left with only half of the second lung functioning.

The woman started to respond to medication which helped her blood circulation and was cleared of swine flu but it had "eaten away at her organs", the source said.

The family thought they were "on the home straight" but her condition deteriorated and she died at 10pm on Wednesday night.

New Zealand's official death toll from swine flu is now 20.

source: nzherald.co.nz
 
Re: NZ - 20 deaths from A/H1N1

Re: NZ - 20 deaths from A/H1N1

The Ministry of Health has sharply upgraded the number of people who have died from swine flu.

Up to now, the ministry has reported 20 deaths associated with the H1N1 virus. But it says it is now including provisional findings by coroners, which adds 15 to the number.

In its latest update, the ministry says the cases were in Auckland, Counties-Manukau, Canterbury, Otago, South Canterbury, Southland, Taranaki and Waikato.

The 15 deaths occurred between June and August last year, five of them in hospitals.

The deputy director of public health, Fran McGrath, says the ages of the newly associated victims ranged from the late teens to the mid-50s.

Copyright © 2010 Radio New Zealand

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/stories/2010/04/28/1247fee1e85b
 
Back
Top