• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

NZ - 27 died, MOH onfirmed swine flu was the Primary cause of death in 16 cases so far.

Sally Furniss

Well-known member
A man in his 50s is seriously ill in Wellington Hospital's intensive care unit with complications from swine flu.

The man, who is believed to have had no prior underlying health problems, was admitted on Friday and was in a "serious but stable" condition last night, Capital and Coast District Health Board said.

The Dominion Post understands he is in an induced coma and on dialysis for kidney failure.

Twenty-seven New Zealanders with the virus have died and the Health Ministry confirmed swine flu was the primary cause of death in 16 cases so far.

The coroner is investigating the deaths of another 11 people suspected to have the virus.


http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...with-swine-flu
 
Re: NZ - 27 died, MOH onfirmed swine flu was the Primary cause of death in 16 cases so far.

Hi Sally, I'm in Christchurch/New Brighton. Kudos to all your long hard work here.
So far I'm impressed with the way Dr. Ozimek and the Christchurch / Canterbury District HB have handled the H1N1 first wave. How well do you think we're going?
When I studied nursing 10 yrs ago I did a paper on the 1918 NZ response to the Spanish Influenza pandemic. I concluded that though overwhelmed early on, the nurses and health authorities fought a brave war with the virus and saved many lives.

I wonder if you or others here consider that quarantines and shutdowns would or wouldn't help if a more severe second wave erupts?

Also, does this post mean that 27 are confirmed dead from H1N1 (primary or secondary causation) in NZ currently? Wouldn't it be better if the MOH simplified the coroner's findings such that it posted all deaths from either cause as H1N1 and H1N1-related deaths added together for public information purposes?
 
Re: NZ - 27 died, MOH onfirmed swine flu was the Primary cause of death in 16 cases so far.

Hello Roehl_JC and welcome to the group of Southern Hemisphere Flutrackers! I will leave Sally to comment on your questions!
 
Re: NZ - 27 died, MOH onfirmed swine flu was the Primary cause of death in 16 cases so far.

Welcome Roehl_JC.

I´m impressed too. A lot work preparation and testing went in to the planning.

I wonder if you or others here consider that quarantines and shutdowns would or wouldn't help if a more severe second wave erupts?
Quarantines and shutdowns are planned for if deemed necessary (NZ pandemic Plan http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/indexmh/nz-influenza-pandemic-action-plan-2006.)

Through the MOH, media, DHB, businesses, govt, schools there has been a clear consistent message about hand washing, social distancing and staying home if sick. Messages to increase social distancing/isolation/quarantining could be piggy backed on to those existing messages. Appropriate household food and medical preparations would be needed to allow increased social distancing.

John Barryś White Paper on the Novel H1N1 discusses npi used. http://esd.mit.edu/wps/2009/esd-wp-2009-07.pdf

Wouldn't it be better if the MOH simplified the coroner's findings such that it posted all deaths from either cause as H1N1 and H1N1-related deaths added together for public information purposes?
I like to see both set of numbers published. It allows a better evaluation of the data.
 
Back
Top