• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

NON H5N1 infection rise in deadly flu outbreak

T. ModestoPhD

In Memoriam
Infections rise in deadly flu outbreak<o:p></o:p>
Cath Hart<o:p></o:p>
November 20, 2006
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20786753-23289,00.html
<o:p> </o:p>
HEALTH officials in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Canberra</st1:place></st1:City> suspect another person has been infected in an influenza outbreak which has swept through a nursing home and already killed six elderly residents.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The powerful strain has infected 57 people, including at least seven nursing home staff.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Tests were still being conducted yesterday to determine if the latest respiratory illness was part of the same strain, a spokeswoman for ACT Health Minister Katy Gallagher said.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The latest victim was a 90-year-old man who passed away at the Jindalee Nursing Home in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Canberra</st1:place></st1:City>'s south on Thursday night. Staff notified authorities on November 1 that an unknown illness had swept through the residence.<o:p></o:p>
 
Re: NON H5N1 infection rise in deadly flu outbreak

November 23, 2006 03:14pm
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...-1702,00.html#
Deadly influenza outbreak eases
A FLU outbreak which has killed eight elderly residents of a Canberra nursing home appears to be easing.
A total of 68 residents and staff at Jindalee Nursing Home have been infected with the deadly type A influenza strain, which was first detected on October 10. The ACT health department today released details of the most recent victim, a 75-year-old man who died on Tuesday night.
While it could not rule out further deaths given the age and health of residents, the department said they all appeared to have recovered.
?All residents are currently all reporting well and only one staff member is still unwell,? ACT Health Minister Katy Gallagher's spokeswoman said.
All residents have been given the influenza vaccine and last week received a dose of the powerful anti-viral Tamiflu, while the nursing home had been separating the sick from the fit. The ACT Government has talked down fears of a pandemic, and says the operators of Jindalee had acted appropriately.

Now November 27, 2006
I went to the ACT Health Ministry web site and could not find any information on the outbreak. http://health.act.gov.au/c/health
I conducted a google search for updated news. The articles now seem to pursue a blame game on immunization rates.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200611/s1798747.htm

Going back to the article above I have a few questions I hope that ACT will address -
1. They report 6 of 10 samples were positive for influenza A. Were all the samples from different residents? How did they arrive that 10 samples total from an outbreak afflicting 68 people was sufficient?
2. They report that in serotyping an H1N1 was found. Were other serotypes found?
3. They reported that they expected to have the virus sequenced by Nov20. Is that sequence now available?
4. They reported on the vaccinations rates at the NH. Was the vaccination complete 2 weeks prior to the outbreak or after the outbreak?
5. A Tamiflu dose was provided to residents and staff. Was this administered only to those sick or prophylactically to all. Was it really a single dose or a course of treatment of Tamiflu?
6. Where else in the community is the influenza? Are any family members of the residents or workers affected? Did they do contact tracing on all cases?
7. Was Tamiflu provided to contact cases? How much Tamiflu was distributed?
8. The sick and well residents were separated. What were the screening criteria? What protective measures were taken by staff and visitors? E.g. any masks?

The news report indicated the ACT was utilizing this event as a test of the pandemic plan. I agree that is excellent strategy. I hope ACT will apply the risk communications plans that emphasize transparency.

I sent the above material as email to HealthACT@act.gov.au and hope for a response.

Joe Thornton, M.D.
Florida, USA
 
Back
Top