• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Nigeria: Doctors Shun Call Duties -Begins Strike, FG Appeals

Snowy Owl

Retired in 2010, In Memoriam
Nigeria: Doctors Shun Call Duties -Begins Strike, FG Appeals
http://allafrica.com/stories/200702270551.html
Daily Champion (Lagos)
February 27, 2007
Posted to the web February 27, 2007
Florence Udoh, Raymond Gukas, and Akor Sylvester
Maiduguri and Abuja

MEDICAL doctors working in Federal Government hospitals yesterday made good their threat of embarking on a seven-day partial strike for the non-restoration of their old-salary structure, even as the government has pleaded with the doctors to suspend their action.

Our correspondents from various states report that the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) ordered for the partial strike action to press home their demand for a reversion to their old salary structure.

The Federal Government had early this month introduced a new salary structure for doctors in its employment.

Known as the Consolidated Tertiary Institution Salary Structure (CONTISS), the government had through a letter dated February 11, 2007 withdrawn call allowances and other fringe benefits of doctors.

In Lagos State, the affected doctors all complied with the directive of the national leadership of the NMA by refusing to resume their call duties.

The chairman of the NMA in Lagos, Dr Hakim Akinlade in a chat with Daily Champion yesterday said "henceforth all call duties are suspended till further notice."

Call duties is a work schedule which doctors take turns to go on 24 hours shift of duty to attend to all emergencies that may arise at any time of the day or night.

Dr Akinlade said that the one-week partial strike was a directive from the association's national president, Dr Daniel Gana at a meeting in Abuja yesterday.

He said by that directive, their members will only work from 8.00 am to 4.00 pm daily till further notice."

This partial strike will last till Sunday March 4, 2007 and then as from Monday 5, 2007, if we are not listened to by government, which has so far demonstrated insensitivity to our plight, we will commence a complete strike to drive home our demands", Akinlade said.

But the Federal government yesterday appealed to the NMA to shun the planned strike action for the well being of the nation.

Addressing a press conference in Abuja yesterday, the Minister of State for Health Mrs. Halima Alao said that government was ready to negotiate with the association but worried that the earlier attempt to make peace with the medical doctors did not work.

She called on NMA to reverse its decision to embark on nationwide strike, promising that the Ministries of Health and Labour would meet soonest to resolve the issue.

She said, "we do not believe that sticking to its ultimatum which was issued in the first place without following due process was the appropriate strategy to adopt.

"The doors of dialogue and consultation are still wide open and we therefore appeal to NMA to shelve its planned "work to rule" and give peace a chance.

"In the meantime, the ministry wishes to convey to the NMA its willingness, at all times, to continue with dialogue between the ministries of health and labour, salaries, income and wages commission, head of service, secretary to the government of the federation, Bureau of public service reform and NMA in the ultimate interest of our people," she said.

In Borno State, medical doctors in government hospitals joined their colleagues in other parts of the country, suspending night call duties..

The doctors, who were seen in various hospitals in Maiduguri, the state capital and other parts of the state wearing black bans on their left arms, vowed that the suspension of the night calls duties will continue for the next one week.

Investigations revealed that the news of the suspension of the night calls by the medical officers has since sent fears amongst residents of the state, especially patience currently on admission.

Speaking to reporters in Maiduguri, the state Chairman, of the NMA, Borno state branch, Dr. Abdulkarim Garba Mairiga stated that, "if after one week, government does not respond positively to our demands, we would have no choice than to down tools indefinitely"
<!-- end story layout piece here -->
 
Back
Top