Translation Google
Crisis in Niger: a first French evacuation plane is on its way to Niamey
By Le Figaro with AFP
Published 7 hours ago, updated 15 minutes ago
After the violence against the French embassy in Niamey that emerged following the putsch last week, the Quai d'Orsay announced that it was chartering planes for French and Europeans wishing to leave the country.
France is preparing this Tuesday, August 1 to begin evacuating its nationals to Niger during the day, where a putsch overthrew President Mohamed Bazoum , while Burkina Faso and Mali, neighboring countries also led by soldiers, have put in guard against armed intervention . A first plane took off from Paris on Tuesday at midday, said a source informed of the evacuation operation.
Italy has also announced that it is ready to evacuate by specially chartered plane its nationals from Niamey, some 90 people out of a total of just under 500 Italians in Niger, most of whom are soldiers. Germany, too, advises its nationals to leave Niger.
"Coordination with the Nigerien forces"
Faced with the deterioration of the security situation in Niger, and taking advantage of the relative calm in Niamey, an evacuation operation by air is " under preparation " , wrote the French Embassy on Tuesday in Niger, stressing that it is the subject of “coordination with the Nigerien forces ”. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs added that France could also evacuate “ European nationals who would like to leave the country ”. He justifies this decision by the " violence that took place against our embassy the day before yesterday and the closure of the airspace which leaves our compatriots without the possibility of leaving the country by their own means.".
Some 600 French people are currently in Niger. The French government was unable to say whether the operation would take place over several days, not yet knowing how many nationals wanted to leave the country. The evacuation will take place on a voluntary basis, and via small, unarmed military transport planes. In Niamey, after heavy rains in the morning, activities gradually resumed and few security force vehicles were visible.
Several French people told AFP that they did not want to leave Niger for the moment. “ For now, I stay! », Indicated by message one of them, anonymously because kept silent by the humanitarian organization for which he works.
France as a target
Others, on a one-off mission in Niger, are already packing their bags. Many permanent resident nationals in Niger are also outside the territory, especially those with children, during this school holiday period.
France, a former colonial power in the region and staunch supporter of President Bazoum, who has been detained since July 26 in his presidential residence, appears to be the preferred target of the soldiers who overthrew him, led by General Abdourahamane Tiani.
"Declaration of war"
They accused her on Monday of wanting to " intervene militarily ", which was denied by the head of French diplomacy, Catherine Colonna, who denounced the anti-French slogans which notably flourished during a demonstration in front of the embassy of France in Niamey on Sunday.
Thousands of demonstrators in favor of the military putsch wanted to enter the embassy, before being dispersed by tear gas canisters. The Nigerien putschists claimed that the tear gas fire had left " six injured, treated by hospitals " in the capital.
French President Emmanuel Macron threatened on Sunday to respond “immediately and intractably” to any attack against French nationals and his interests in Niger.
Monday evening, Ouagadougou and Bamako affirmed that any military intervention to restore Mohamed Bazoum would be considered " as a declaration of war " on their two countries and " would lead to the withdrawal of Burkina Faso and Mali from ECOWAS (Economic Community of West Africa), as well as the adoption of self-defence measures in support of the armed forces and the people of Niger ”.
They added, in a joint statement, that they “ refuse to apply ” the “ illegal, illegitimate and inhuman sanctions against the people and the authorities of Niger ” decided by ECOWAS in Abuja.
Anti-jihadist struggle
This warning comes the day after the threat of the use of " force " made by West African leaders, supported by their Western partners, including France.
On Sunday, ECOWAS leaders meeting in Abuja set a one-week ultimatum to the military junta in Niger for a " full return to constitutional order " , saying they did not rule out a " use of force " if not. was not the case.
They also decided to " suspend all commercial and financial transactions " between its member states and Niger, and to freeze the assets of military officials involved in the coup.
Pressure to push the perpetrators of the July 26 coup to quickly restore " constitutional order is accumulating, coming from all of Niger's Western and African partners ", a country considered essential in the fight against jihadist groups that have been ravaging parts of the Sahel countries for years.
France and the United States, in particular, deploy there respectively 1,500 and 1,100 soldiers who participate in the anti-jihadist fight.
'No risk' for EU uranium supply
Niger is one of the poorest countries in the world, despite its uranium resources. The European Commission estimated on Tuesday " that there was no risk " for the EU's uranium supply after the putsch in Niger, a country representing a quarter of European supplies, due to stocks already constituted.
Undermined by attacks from groups linked to the Islamic State and Al-Qaeda, Niger is the third country in the region to suffer a coup since 2020 after Mali and Burkina Faso.
https://www.lefigaro.fr/internation...vont-etre-evacues-tres-prochainement-20230801