Confirmed H1N1 Virus Cases Climb in Province
June 24, 2009
There are now two dozen confirmed cases of the H1N1 virus or swine flu in the province. Eastern Health has also confirmed that a case has been diagnosed at the Hoyles Escasoni Complex in St. John's. Medical Officer of Health, Dr. David Allison, says a man with complex medical problems, residing at the facility has the virus, and is in stable condition. Visitor restrictions are in place and if you must visit a resident you are asked to call the nurses station first, and not to visit if you have flu-like symptoms yourself. The health board says staff are using infection control practices and movement between floors is restricted. This is the first reported case in any of Eastern Health's facilities. The province's Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Faith Stratton, says the virus has only shown up in the Eastern and Central Health regions so far. There have been no cases in the Western Health region or in Labrador. Dr. Stratton says the public should always remember that the best way to prevent the spread of all infection is to wash hands frequently and to cover coughs and sneezes.
http://www.vocm.com/news-info.asp?id=37001
I don't think that anything dramatic has happened here. It is likely a case of poor journalism. On the weekends here local news stations work only with skeleton crews. All the same its shoddy journalism. The accurate case numbers are NOW easily available from Department of Health and Community Services @ http://www.health.gov.nl.ca/health/. Some people in the public blame it on the Health Minister not knowing his job and reporting the numbers himself. But in light of the huge mistakes done in accounting by the government and health boards, over botched cancer tests, no one is really surprised.
June 24, 2009
There are now two dozen confirmed cases of the H1N1 virus or swine flu in the province. Eastern Health has also confirmed that a case has been diagnosed at the Hoyles Escasoni Complex in St. John's. Medical Officer of Health, Dr. David Allison, says a man with complex medical problems, residing at the facility has the virus, and is in stable condition. Visitor restrictions are in place and if you must visit a resident you are asked to call the nurses station first, and not to visit if you have flu-like symptoms yourself. The health board says staff are using infection control practices and movement between floors is restricted. This is the first reported case in any of Eastern Health's facilities. The province's Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Faith Stratton, says the virus has only shown up in the Eastern and Central Health regions so far. There have been no cases in the Western Health region or in Labrador. Dr. Stratton says the public should always remember that the best way to prevent the spread of all infection is to wash hands frequently and to cover coughs and sneezes.
http://www.vocm.com/news-info.asp?id=37001
I don't think that anything dramatic has happened here. It is likely a case of poor journalism. On the weekends here local news stations work only with skeleton crews. All the same its shoddy journalism. The accurate case numbers are NOW easily available from Department of Health and Community Services @ http://www.health.gov.nl.ca/health/. Some people in the public blame it on the Health Minister not knowing his job and reporting the numbers himself. But in light of the huge mistakes done in accounting by the government and health boards, over botched cancer tests, no one is really surprised.