Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster.
The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website.
By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.
Published: 5:51PM Wednesday January 16, 2013 Source: ONE News
Cases of a new Norovirus variant have now been reported in New Zealand.
Previously, cases of the GII 4 Sydney 2012 variant had been seen in Australia, Japan, and the United Kingdom.
Today, the Ministry of Health's Fran McGrath said that New Zealand has had an increase in notifications of Norovirus outbreaks in October and November, with most being confirmed in the laboratory as the Sydney 2012 variant.
The increase resulted in 226 notified outbreaks of Norovirus for the 2012 year, compared to 152 in 2010, and 181 in 2011.
...
The last time there was a significant mutation was in 2009 with the New Orleans variant when 270 outbreaks were notified in New Zealand.
...
Severe norovirus warning to public <!--start of components/story_attributes--><!--end of components/story_attributes-->
<!-- google_ad_section_end(name=storyheadline) --><!--start of components/story_star_rating--><!--end of components/story_star_rating--> COLLETTE DEVLIN<!--end of components/story/credit--><!--start of components/toolbox-->
Last updated 05:00 17/01/2013
Southerners are being urged to take precautions to prevent infection by a new strain of norovirus.
A world pandemic of the virus, dubbed Sydney 2012, is spreading across the country because no-one has immunity against it.
Otago-Southland medical officer of health Marion Poore said everyone in the community could be exposed to the virus, which causes vomiting and diarrhoea.
"Public Health South has responded and are investigating outbreaks in the Southern District Health Board area and are waiting on final laboratory results to see if it is the new strain," she said.
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 6:25p.m.
...
ESR Environmental Health general manager Dr Fiona Thompson...
?The strain is widespread throughout New Zealand now.?
The Sydney 2012 mutation, which causes severe vomiting and diarrhoea, first crept in here early last year. But it really took off in October and November with 67 outbreaks - which can each be hundreds of cases - around the country, compared to 14 outbreaks of all strands of norovirus in 2011, and 23 in October and November 2010.
...
And while contained spaces like rest homes and cruise ships have been widely reported as breeding grounds, Dr Thompson says there's a lesser known carrier in the sea.
?Norovirus can be acquired through consumption of contaminated shellfish as well, where shellfish may have been subject to overflow from sewage systems.?
...
New norovirus strain linked to NZ death
By Mike Dinsdale
11:21 AM Friday Jan 25, 2013
A new strain of the norovirus stomach bug that has hit New Zealand has been linked to a death in Northland...
... Dr Jarman said of the five confirmed Sydney-strain norovirus cases reported in Northland between September and last month, all were in rest homes and affected residents and staff.
He confirmed the death was that of a rest-home patient.
There were 17 outbreaks of the new strain nationally and a total of 177 norovirus cases in Northland last year...