Pathfinder
Editor, Senior Moderator
Norovirus closes two rest homes
<!-- google_ad_section_end(name=storyheadline) -->
IAN ALLEN
Last updated 11:30 20/04/2012
Two Blenheim rest homes were forced to close their doors this month to prevent an outbreak of vomiting and diarrhoea spreading into the wider community.
Waterlea Rest Home and Bethsaida Retirement Village restricted movement in and out of their premises for several days as residents and staff were struck down by the virus.
Nelson Marlborough District Health Board medical officer of health Ed Kiddle confirmed the bug at Waterlea Rest Home as norovirus.
The outbreak at Bethsaida Retirement Village had all the symptoms of norovirus without being confirmed, Mr Kiddle said.
Waterlea Rest Home manager Kathy Hargreaves said the building was in complete lockdown for nine days until yesterday.
However, precautions remained in place and the rest home would not return to normal until Monday, she said.
Waterlea Rest Home clinical manager Penny Tuckerman said masks and gloves were being provided for family members wanting to visit.
Nearly 50 residents and eight members of staff had been infected, which is 80 per cent of residents, she said.
...
http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/news/6777732/Norovirus-closes-two-rest-homes
<!-- google_ad_section_end(name=storyheadline) -->
IAN ALLEN
Last updated 11:30 20/04/2012
Two Blenheim rest homes were forced to close their doors this month to prevent an outbreak of vomiting and diarrhoea spreading into the wider community.
Waterlea Rest Home and Bethsaida Retirement Village restricted movement in and out of their premises for several days as residents and staff were struck down by the virus.
Nelson Marlborough District Health Board medical officer of health Ed Kiddle confirmed the bug at Waterlea Rest Home as norovirus.
The outbreak at Bethsaida Retirement Village had all the symptoms of norovirus without being confirmed, Mr Kiddle said.
Waterlea Rest Home manager Kathy Hargreaves said the building was in complete lockdown for nine days until yesterday.
However, precautions remained in place and the rest home would not return to normal until Monday, she said.
Waterlea Rest Home clinical manager Penny Tuckerman said masks and gloves were being provided for family members wanting to visit.
Nearly 50 residents and eight members of staff had been infected, which is 80 per cent of residents, she said.
...
http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/news/6777732/Norovirus-closes-two-rest-homes