Re: NJ Update Dec 14 - 4 deaths - total 38
Re: NJ Update Dec 14 - 4 deaths - total 38
Source:
http://www.northjersey.com/news/121609_Two_North_Jersey_residents_die_of_H1N1.html
Two North Jersey residents die of H1N1
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
BY BOB GROVES
The Record
STAFF WRITER
A 3-year-old Bergen County girl and a Morris County man were among four recent H1N1 flu deaths in New Jersey, officials said Wednesday.
The unidentified girl was hospitalized on Nov. 27 and died Nov. 29, state Health Commissioner Heather Howard said in a teleconference with reporters.
The Morris County man, 55, was hospitalized Nov. 26 and died Dec. 5, Howard said. Both patients had underlying health conditions, she said.
Two other deaths from flu were a 21-year-old Warren County man hospitalized on Nov. 19, and a 46-year-old man in Middlesex County, hospitalized on Nov. 24. The dates of deaths for these two patients have not yet been determined, she said. The Warren County man had underlying health conditions, the Middlesex County man did not.
There have been 38 H1N1 flu-related deaths in New Jersey this year ? 20 since Sept. 1, and 18 during an outbreak in spring. However, most cases of the illness continue to be mild, Howard said. Nationally, flu activity declined during Nov. 29-Dec. 5, but flu-associated deaths increased, federal officials said.
Meanwhile, the state health department has told the nearly 1,400 vaccine providers in New Jersey to offer H1N1 flu shots to all who want it. The vaccine was previously restricted to at-risk target groups, including pregnant women, people six months to 24 years old, and adults with underlying health conditions.
Swine flu shots are now available to the general public because vaccine supplies in New Jersey have increased to 2.25 million doses from 1.4 million doses last month. Demand by target groups also had decreased at local and county levels, and federal officials recently recommended expanding the program.
Vaccine supplies are expected to increase through January, and there will be enough for all who want it, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.
Pediatric H1N1 flu vaccine remains safe and effective, despite a ?non-safety recall? by manufacturer Sanofi Pasteur this week of thousands of doses which were shown to have lost some strength, Howard said. Children do not need to be revaccinated, but those under 10 years old should get a second dose four weeks after the first one, she said.
For more information, visit the state health department web site at nj.gov/health, or call its H1N1 hotline at 1-866-321-9571.