• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

New Brunswick flood damage 'beyond imagination': Premier David Alward

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
N.B. flood damage 'beyond imagination': Alward

Number of flooded N.B. roads down to 70 from 120 earlier this week

Last Updated: Friday, December 17, 2010 | 4:31 PM AT CBC News



The damage left behind by this week's flood that hit parts of southwestern New Brunswick is "beyond imagination," Premier David Alward said on Friday.​

Many communities along stretches of southern and western New Brunswick saw extensive damage to roads, bridges and houses following the floods, with Charlotte County the hardest-hit place in the province, according to the Emergency Measures Organization.​

The destruction inflicted on many of the communities is "sad," Alward said.​



"It is really beyond imagination especially in parts of southwestern New Brunswick and Charlotte County. Many homes covered up to their rooftops, vehicles under water, many people displaced," Alward said.​

"Throughout much of the St. John River Valley and southwestern New Brunswick and Charlotte County, many roads and the rail system has been breached."​

At one point during the flood, 120 roads were partially or fully flooded, but that is now down to 70.​



 
Re: New Brunswick flood damage 'beyond imagination': Premier David Alward

Recovery program for flood victims announced

15 December 2010

Media Contact(s)

New Brunswick Emergency Measures Organization, 1-800-561-4034.

FREDERICTON (CNB) ? The provincial government has announced a recovery program for victims of the storm surges of Dec. 5-6 and the extreme rainfall event of Dec. 13-14.

The program will allow residents to receive information and register their flood-related damage with a single phone call. It will also put health and safety inspection teams into flood-affected areas to allow residents to return to their homes more quickly.

Registering is the first step in the recovery process, which includes three elements:

? complementary assistance, including water testing, electrical re-connections and electrical permits, if necessary;
? health and safety inspections, to assess damage and determine what repairs are required for residents to safely return to their homes; and
? Disaster Financial Assistance, which will be available to cover the costs of repairs.

"We understand how important it is for affected New Brunswickers to get back to their homes as quickly as possible, particularly given the time of year," Premier David Alward said. "We will work with our partners to begin the recovery process and we will provide assistance to help New Brunswickers through this event."

The provincial recovery call centre is being run through Service New Brunswick and is now in operation.

In addition, health and safety inspection teams will begin work in flood-affected areas as soon as possible. These teams will assess whether a home or place of business is safe enough for residents or owners to return. Each team will be comprised of members specialized in electric, gas and fire prevention, structural housing and public health. The specialization of these teams will allow them to effectively determine if repairs are needed before residents return home.

Public Safety Minister and Solicitor General Robert Trevors urged residents to be patient as this process is put into place.

"We understand that people are anxious to get back to their homes as quickly as possible," he said. "We will do our best to provide the right kind of assistance to those affected by this severe weather."

Residents in flood-affected areas should call Service New Brunswick at 1-888-298-8555 to report damage and register for disaster financial assistance. Once registered, residents will be provided with an information package and any required paperwork to initiate an assistance claim.

Once approved for disaster financial assistance, advance payments of up to $4,000 will be available. The deductible amounts will be $1,000 for individual homeowners, and $5,000 for small businesses. The deductible is automatically waived for social services clients. Requests for waiver may also be considered from those who are experiencing severe financial hardship.

The Service New Brunswick call centre can be reached at 1-888-298-8555 and will operate Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Residents can also apply online.

LINK:

● Service New Brunswick (form): www.snb.ca/emo

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/news/public_alerts/public_alert.2010.12.1888.html
 
Re: New Brunswick flood damage 'beyond imagination': Premier David Alward

Donations wanted for flood victims

Last Updated: Sunday, December 19, 2010 | 12:21 PM AT CBC News

Relief organizations are asking people to donate money, gift cards ? and even firewood ?to help victims cope with the aftermath of flooding in southwestern New Brunswick.

Volunteers are pumping out floodwater from people's homes in Bonny River and St. George, some of the areas hardest hit by Monday's deluge of rain.
Chuck Brown, head of communications for the volunteers, said they're reporting homeowners are in dire need of firewood.

"We're asking for anyone that has any to spare to drop them off at 23 Magaguadavic Dr. in St. George and we'll make sure that it will get out to people who need it," said Brown.

Brown said a lot of the flooded homes are heated by wood alone, but the firewood piles were no match for the torrential rains.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunsw...s-wanted-for-flood-victims.html#ixzz18aXgYByp
 
Back
Top