Shiloh
Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/rwb.nsf/db900SID/RMOI-7HQVNX?OpenDocument
Date: 21 Aug 2008
More than 50,000 flee floods in southeastern Nepal
Nepal, Aug 21, 2008 - Nepali officials say that more than 50,000 people have now reportedly fled their homes after a dam collapsed in southeastern Nepal. At least four people have been killed in the flooding, according to local Kantipur Online (KOL). However, Nepalnews says that reports suggest that dozens may have lost their lives in the floods. The Chief District Officer (CDO) of Sunsari district says that a major rescue operation is under way, the BBC reported. He said that so far 19,000 people have been removed from the flood-affected area but thousands more still needed to be evacuated, the BBC reported. The flooding occurred after the Koshi dam on the Saptakoshi River in Sunsari district collapsed on Monday (August 18) after overflowing embankments. Hundreds of army troops and police officers are involved in the rescue mission, and local Neplanews.com reported that on Thursday (August 21) army helicopters were used to ferry 5,000 people in flooded villages to safer places. According to the BBC, the Sunsari CDO, Durga Nath Bhandari, said that negotiations are taking place between Indian and Nepalese officials on the rebuilding of the dam at Biranagar. He said that it would take at least three weeks for transport to get back to normal as the road which connects the southeast to the rest of Nepal is under water, the BBC reported. According to the BBC, health officials say that they are concerned about an outbreak of waterborne disease and say that six people have died so far. Police say that many people suffering from diarrhea and fever have been taken to the district hospital. According to KOL, that number is at more than 50. The local community health office said that a majority of the displaced children and elderly have succumbed to pneumonia and fever. Some aid workers also say that drinking water is scarce and some people have not eaten properly for three days, according to the BBC. KOL reported that relief distributions started Thursday and social workers are beginning to provide meals to the displaced.
Source: Center for Excellence in Disaster Management and Humanitarian Assistance
Date: 21 Aug 2008
More than 50,000 flee floods in southeastern Nepal
Nepal, Aug 21, 2008 - Nepali officials say that more than 50,000 people have now reportedly fled their homes after a dam collapsed in southeastern Nepal. At least four people have been killed in the flooding, according to local Kantipur Online (KOL). However, Nepalnews says that reports suggest that dozens may have lost their lives in the floods. The Chief District Officer (CDO) of Sunsari district says that a major rescue operation is under way, the BBC reported. He said that so far 19,000 people have been removed from the flood-affected area but thousands more still needed to be evacuated, the BBC reported. The flooding occurred after the Koshi dam on the Saptakoshi River in Sunsari district collapsed on Monday (August 18) after overflowing embankments. Hundreds of army troops and police officers are involved in the rescue mission, and local Neplanews.com reported that on Thursday (August 21) army helicopters were used to ferry 5,000 people in flooded villages to safer places. According to the BBC, the Sunsari CDO, Durga Nath Bhandari, said that negotiations are taking place between Indian and Nepalese officials on the rebuilding of the dam at Biranagar. He said that it would take at least three weeks for transport to get back to normal as the road which connects the southeast to the rest of Nepal is under water, the BBC reported. According to the BBC, health officials say that they are concerned about an outbreak of waterborne disease and say that six people have died so far. Police say that many people suffering from diarrhea and fever have been taken to the district hospital. According to KOL, that number is at more than 50. The local community health office said that a majority of the displaced children and elderly have succumbed to pneumonia and fever. Some aid workers also say that drinking water is scarce and some people have not eaten properly for three days, according to the BBC. KOL reported that relief distributions started Thursday and social workers are beginning to provide meals to the displaced.
Source: Center for Excellence in Disaster Management and Humanitarian Assistance