• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

NC Status

Re: NC Status

There are no confirmed cases in North Carolina, but there are reports that health officials are investigating an undisclosed number of cases, in various parts of the Tarheel State.
North Carolina Health Director, Dr. Jeffrey Engel said the suspected cases are related to travel, mostly to Mexico. He said nobody had been hospitalized, and the people who may be sickened by swine flu were ordered to in-home isolation.
http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_wavy_swine_flu_update_20090427
 
Re: NC Status

Some cases of swine flu suspected in N.C.

58957-dhhsbriefing-220x165.jpg


Posted: Apr. 27, 2009
Updated: Apr. 28, 2009
Raleigh, N.C. — The state's health director said Monday afternoon that there are suspected cases of swine flu in North Carolina, but declined to say how many cases or where they were located.

Dr. Jeffrey Engel said Monday evening that officials are involuntarily isolating patients who may have the virus. He declined to specifically say how many suspected cases were in the state, noting that the number is always changing, and he declined to say where they were located.

"We're working very closely with providers, and they are investigating cases on a daily basis," Engel said. "It's a very fluid situation and there will be suspect cases. People travel all the time."

Investigators were gathering specimens and hope to know whether the cases are "probable" some time Tuesday and will seek confirmations by Wednesday.

Federal health officials have confirmed 40 cases in the United States – in New York, Ohio, Kansas, Texas and California. Of those, only one person has been hospitalized and all have recovered. That's in contrast to Mexico, where the suspected death toll was at 149, with more than 1,600 cases reported.

Track swine flu cases across the globe.

Engel said the suspected cases are related to travel, mostly to Mexico. He said nobody has been hospitalized and that the suspected cases have been ordered to in-home isolation.

Along with the travel history, Engel said the suspected cases involve patients with severe flu symptoms. The state is encouraging providers to only report more severe cases – people with higher fevers or more prominent respiratory problems.

Engel said he expects the number of suspected cases to increase. "This is dynamic," he said.

At a news briefing Monday morning, Engel said the state is "better prepared" than ever to handle any potential outbreak of the virus in North Carolina. The state has a stockpile of 660,000 doses of treatment for the flu, if necessary.

He urged residents to take precautions by staying at home if they present with flu-like symptoms, wash their hands frequently with soap and water for at least 15 seconds, and see a doctor if flu symptoms become serious.

"To ward off any potential, just be prudent as you would during normal flu season," he said.

But, Engel said, there's one thing people don't have to stop doing in order to avoid the swine flu: eating pork.

"You can't catch the flu through eating any food item," he said.

That announcement was welcome news for those who profit from pork such as restaurants and grocery stores. "That would affect our business" if people were afraid to eat pork, said Worth Westbrook, co-owner of McCall's Bar-B-Que & Seafood in Clayton.

"I am not too concerned, because I love barbecue," said McCall's customer Glenn Hines, who filled up his plate at the buffet while updates on the swine flu played on television screens.

Gov. Bev Perdue, in a statement Monday morning, also advised people to be careful and take proper preventative measures and that she is confident in the state's readiness to handle a potential pandemic.

"North Carolina is equipped with a full supply of antiviral medications and personal protective supplies such as face masks," Perdue said. "We have public health teams ready to deploy to any community in our state that needs assistance."

Local hospitals, meanwhile reviewed emergency plans, many of which were put in place after the SARS epidemic in 2003 that infected more than 8.000 people and caused 74 deaths worldwide.

"We all have plans on how to deal with that," Dr. David Weber, an infectious diseases expert at UNC Hospitals. "The hospital has detailed 20-page plan."

Weber said it includes how to protect staff treating patients. He also said the hospital has enough protective gear to last up to six months.

"We have ability for rapid communications and to expand the number of both beds within the hospital and clinic availability, if wee need, too,' he added.

On the higher-education level, UNC System President Erskine Bowles asked universities to review their emergency plans and distribute basic information on flu prevention.

At the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, students preparing for final exams said they were concerned about the swine flu because of the number of people in the college environment who travel.

"I guess there are a lot of people coming in and out, so it could be more likely to happen here," sophomore Jill Zartman said.

 
Re: NC Status

N.C. looks into possible swine flu cases

The state lab expects answers soon, plus testing materials from the CDC in Atlanta.


<!-- /components/story/story_default.comp -->By Sarah Avery, Staff Writer Comment on this story
A small number of people in North Carolina have suspected cases of the new strain of swine flu that has killed more than 100 in Mexico, but the cases have not been confirmed with laboratory tests.
State health leaders said the number of suspected cases was fewer than 10. They would not give an exact number because several are likely to be ruled out, while others may come to light. Only confirmed cases will be announced, they said.
"We had a suspected case this weekend that turned out to be regular seasonal flu, so that's why we aren't announcing numbers yet," said Dr. Jeffrey Engel, state health director. Confirmation of the virus will likely not occur until Wednesday at the earliest, after additional laboratory analysis in Atlanta. The virus is so new that only scientists at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have the material to detect it. Engel said that testing agent will be shipped to the state's lab and others across the nation Wednesday, but until then the labs will need to rely on federal authorities for confirmation.
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/health_science/story/1504010.html
 
Re: NC Status

RALEIGH, N.C. -
State health officials said Wednesday at 4 p.m. that they tested 41 samples. Of those, 20 were negative, 17 are pending and three have a type of seasonal flu.
The 17 pending cases will remain on isolation until test results are confirmed.
Results from the first 15 suspected cases came back negative on Tuesday
State Health Director Jeff Engel said the state expects to receive reagents for swine flu testing from the Centers for Disease Control on Thursday and can begin running its own validation tests by Friday. The state lab expects to be using the reagents for its own testing by the weekend. Until then, final confirmation of swine flu can only be done by the CDC.
http://wake.mync.com/site/Wake/news...ps-17-on-isolation-so-far-no-swine-flu-in-nc/
 
Re: NC Status

15 possible swine flu cases in NC, three in Charlotte

Posted:<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>var wn_last_ed_date = getLEDate("Apr28, 2009 4:23 PM EST"); document.write(wn_last_ed_date);</SCRIPT> April 28, 2009 04:23 PM EDT
Updated:<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>var wn_last_ed_date = getLEDate("Apr28, 2009 4:25 PM EST"); document.write(wn_last_ed_date);</SCRIPT> April 28, 2009 04:25 PM EDT
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Health officials say there are possibly 15 suspect cases of swine flu in North Carolina and three of the cases may be in Mecklenburg County.
The Mecklenburg County Health Department released information about the suspected cases during a press conference Tuesday afternoon.
One of the cases involves a person who traveled to Mexico and had a layover at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport on a return flight to Richmond, Virginia.
In the second case, a person from Texas was around a sick family member and came to Charlotte to visit friends or family. While in Charlotte, the visitor became sick and was taken to a local hospital emergency room.
The third suspect case involves a person from Charlotte-Mecklenburg who recently traveled to Mexico and later got sick.
Health officials have issued isolation orders for all three of these individuals.
The first two are now in isolation at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte. The third person is in isolation at home.
Test results on each of the three people are pending. The health department is expecting to receive results on one of the individuals as early as Tuesday afternoon.
Information about the flights in which these people were on will be publicized by the health department if any of the three test positive. In that case, all the passengers who were on the plane will be contacted by their local departments.
People with close contact to the person from Texas and the individual from Charlotte-Mecklenburg who traveled to Mexico will be quarantined.
Health officials say isolation orders are reserved for sick individuals. A quarantine is issued for healthy people who have been exposed. They must remain quarantined for a maximum of 7 days or until a test is found negative.
Carolinas Medical Center has dozens of rooms ready if more people need to be isolated.
http://www.wistv.com/global/story.asp?s=10265744&ClientType=Printable
 
Re: NC Status

A couple of comments on the content of the news articles.
Test results on each of the three people are pending. The health department is expecting to receive results on one of the individuals as early as Tuesday afternoon.[the article was written on Tuesday - do they mean next week?]
Information about the flights in which these people were on will be publicized by the health department if any of the three test positive. In that case, all the passengers who were on the plane will be contacted by their local departments.People with close contact to the person from Texas and the individual from Charlotte-Mecklenburg who traveled to Mexico will be quarantined.
Health officials say isolation orders are reserved for sick individuals. A quarantine is issued for healthy people who have been exposed. They must remain quarantined for a maximum of 7 days or until a test is found negative.
1. Doctors must treat patients, not lab tests. In the US seasonal flu essentially subsided in April. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm
To manage this epidemic we need clinical epidemiologic data on the syndrome and not pending lab tests.
2. The purpose of case tracking and quarantine is to prevent the spread of illness. That is done while the infected person is incubating and then possibly infectious - thus within 8 days of exposure. If no action is taken until 3 to 7 days later because of waiting for a lab test result, the opportunity to limit the spread of infection is lost.
Joe Thornton MD
 
Re: NC Status

NC now has 4 'probable' swine flu cases

03:48 PM EDT on Saturday, May 2, 2009

Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- North Carolina has two more "probable" cases of swine flu, bringing the total number of likely cases to four.

The state announced the two additional cases Saturday, but said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has not confirmed any of them are swine flu.

State health officials say confirmation could come any time.

Authorities say one of North Carolina's new cases is someone who lives with a case that was already known about in Onslow County.

The family recently traveled to Texas.

The second new case is in Craven County, and officials are still investigating how that person could have gotten the disease.

State lab technicians are working around the clock and have tested 334 specimens, with 258 coming back negative and 76 still pending.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/stories/wcnc-050209-sjf-swineflucases.11b18ad9.html?npc
 
Re: NC Status

Swine flu closes North Carolina elementary school

08:09 PM EDT on Monday, May 4, 2009

By MIKE BAKER | Associated Press Writer

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- State health officials on Monday closed a North Carolina elementary school because a student likely has swine flu, and officials are encouraging students who may have been exposed not to visit public places.

Arthur W. Edwards Elementary School in Havelock will be closed for a week, said Dr. Jeffrey Engel, the state health director. He said the student was at school on Friday and likely exposed some peers.

"We don't take (the decision) lightly," he said. "We realize it's extremely disruptive to parents, to the community. Yet, on the other hand, we had to weigh it on the other side of the scale, with the dangers to an outbreak in a school setting of a new flu virus that we don't yet understand."

Engel said there are five people in Carteret and Craven counties have probable flu cases, and the student was a child of one of four adults in the cluster. The four work together and one of them recently traveled to New York City, he said.

Health investigators have confirmed only one case of swine flu in North Carolina -- an Onslow County man who recently traveled to Texas. Engel said he expects the man's wife will also have a confirmed case of the virus.

State lab testers have now processed or received 433 suspect specimens, and 382 have tested negative.

Because the state has been swamped with specimens to test -- with signs that the virus only has a minor presence in the state -- Engel is encouraging medical providers only to report certain cases.

Health investigators only want to test cases that have forced someone to the hospital or a cluster in a high-transmission environment, such as a school or a nursing home.

Engel expects the state's Sentinel Provider Surveillance Network, a program that tracks flu cases and coordinates with state and federal officials, to provide sufficient samples for the state to continue monitoring the virus. But he warned that it could lead to higher numbers of cases in the state.

"We do run the risk that, because of this change in definition, that disease might increase in this state," Engel said. "But we do feel that we do have surveillance systems in the state to detect that and shift back if necessary."


Last week, a clinician in the Sentinel network treated one patient as if the person had the seasonal flu. But after the person returned home to Canada, the state labs determined it was likely a swine flu case.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/stories/wcnc-050409-sjf-schoolshutdown.1cf237b4.html?npc#
 
Back
Top