KAYOVA VILLAGE FOOD POISONING INCIDENT CLAIMS 16 – PM CONVEYS CONDOLENCE
Posted by The Staff Reporter | Jun 2, 2023 | Community and Culture
The death toll in a food poisoning incident that occurred in the Kayova Village in the Kavango East on Thursday rose to 16 from the 9 reported on Tuesday, according to the Ministry of Health and Social Services, acting regional health director, Woita Kapumburu in a statement.
The total number of people involved was also revised from the initial 18 people to 24, with the youngest being a 1-year-old and the oldest 33 years old.
The household is said to have consumed a poisonous/toxic porridge made with pearl millet mahangu flour and an added dried and pounded fermented sediment from home-made beverage/beer, locally known as ‘mundevere...
https://economist.com.na/79648/comm...ing-incident-claims-16-pm-conveys-condolence/
----------------------------------------
Govt assists food poison families
2023-06-02 John Muyamba
RUNDU – With 16 people from the Kayova homestead having succumbed to suspected food poisoning they allegedly consumed unknowingly at dinner on Saturday, the government is pulling out all the stops to assist their families.
...
“Initially we received 13 patients as a referral from Nyangana, unfortunately they were in a critical condition, and we have lost all of them. The department took some specimen for toxicology testing and these were sent to NIP and some to South Africa and we will soon be getting the results that show exactly what was contained in the food they ate,” said the Rundu intermediate hospital superintendent Dr Jean Kalala Kabangu.
“Their livers were severely damage and the kidneys failed also, they were at an advanced stage that we could not save them,” he said.
“The total number of people involved has been revised from the initial 18 people to 24, with the youngest being one-year-old and the oldest 33 years old. Unfortunately, 16 have perished so far, two of them passed away at Nyangana district hospital,” said the health ministry’s acting regional director for Kavango East, Woyita Kapumburu.
“Currently, there is only one patient admitted at Rundu intermediate hospital, he was transferred from Nyanagana on Wednesday, he is (29) in a serious but stabilised condition, he is complaining of abdominal pain and diarrhoea,” he said.
At Nyangana district hospital, there is a one-year-old girl, two two-year-old boys, an 11-year-old girl, a 13-year-old and a 14-year-old boy along with a 27-year-old woman, said Kaspumburu.
“The two-year-olds were discharged, but they are being kept in the hospital for care. The rest of the cases are stable,” Kapumburu noted.
...
https://neweralive.na/posts/govt-assists-food-poison-families