• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Muskegon County reports 2nd H1N1-related death

JimO

Well-known member
Source: http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.aspx?storyid=116282&catid=14

Muskegon County reports 2nd H1N1-related death
WZZM 13 ONLINE
Updated:12/2/2009 3:47:10 AM

MUSKEGON (Grand Haven Tribune)- A 58-year-old man has become the second death in Muskegon County that's been linked to the H1N1 virus, health officials said Tuesday.

The Muskegon County public health office says it was notified Monday by Great Lakes Specialty Hospital in Muskegon that the man died after contracting the flu strain.

"Our sincere condolences are extended to the family at this difficult time," said Ken Kraus, health officer for Public Health Muskegon County.

The first H1N1-related death in Muskegon County was reported Nov. 23 when doctors at Hackley Hospital in Muskegon said a 43-year-old woman died after contracting the virus. The woman had other chronic health conditions, officials said.

Michigan health officials say influenza has killed 59 people in the state since April 1 and 49 since Sept. 1, when H1N1 began gaining steam. So far, no deaths from the virus have been reported in Ottawa County.

The Michigan Community Health Department said Monday that 25,074 flu cases were reported in the state from Nov. 15-21. Since Sept. 1, officials say 1,660 people have been hospitalized in Michigan for the flu.

The state department said 16 flu-like illness cases were reported in Ottawa County during the week of Nov. 15-21, the same number as the prior week. In Muskegon County, the number of flu cases dropped from 2,069 to 1,033 in the same time period, while Kent County cases jumped from 2,089 to 4,996.

State medical epidemiologist Dr. Eden Wells said the department has received fewer reports of influenza during the past two weeks, but it's too early to say the state has "peaked."

The department said Michigan authorities have allocated at least 2.2 million doses of the vaccine for the H1N1 virus, which causes swine flu. That means medical personnel have received permission to receive that number of doses.

"We encourage everyone to continue to practice preventive methods and to consider taking the vaccine as it becomes more available," Kraus said. "If you or a loved one does become ill, seek immediate medical care if life threatening symptoms occur."

The Ottawa County Health Department has scheduled several H1N1 vaccine clinics for certain "priority groups" over the next two weeks. A clinic will be held at Grand Haven High School from 4-8 p.m. Wednesday. Other clinics are scheduled for West Ottawa High School, Hudsonville High School and Coopersville Middle School.

The Health Department is accepting reservations for the free H1N1 vaccine clinics online at www.miottawa.org/flu, or by calling 211 or 1-877-211-5253. No walk-ins will be accepted. Reservations will be taken on a first-come first-served basis.

Priority groups include pregnant women, people age 6 months to 24 years, people age 25-64 who are at higher risk for novel H1N1 because of chronic health disorders or compromised immune systems, people who live with or care for children younger than 6 months of age, and health care and emergency medical services personnel with direct patient care.
 
Back
Top