• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

More H1N1 flu vaccine in Minnesota recalled (FluMist)

Shiloh

Editor, Senior Moderator
More H1N1 flu vaccine in Minnesota recalled

The latest recall involves the FluMist nasal vaccine. Officials said there is no danger to those who got the vaccine and they do not need to be revaccinated.

By MAURA LERNER, Star Tribune

Last update: December 23, 2009 - 1:40 PM

Another 63,500 doses of H1N1 flu vaccine in Minnesota have been recalled by the manufacturer because tests found it was losing effectiveness, state officials reported Wednesday.

That?s almost seven times the number of weakened doses recalled in Minnesota last week. In both cases, officials said, there is no danger to those who got the vaccine and they do not need to be revaccinated. The latest recall involves shipments of FluMist, the nasal-spray vaccine, which was distributed to 188 clinics and sites throughout Minnesota, said Buddy Ferguson, a spokesman for the Minnesota Department of Health.

Ferguson said the latest vaccine voluntary recall, by manufacturer MedImmune, affected 4.7 million doses nationwide, and that it?s unclear how much of the vaccine was given to patients.


?It had lost potency, but not to the extent that it?s necessary to revaccinate anybody who received it,? he said. ?But they didn?t want to leave it in circulation.?

Last week, Sanofi Pasteur recalled 800,000 weakened doses of its H1N1 flu vaccine, including 9,300 in Minnesota.

By next week, an estimated 2 million doses of H1N1 vaccine will have been ordered in Minnesota, Ferguson said.

The health department also announced that another Minnesotan has died of the H1N1 flu, bringing the statewide total to 51. The latest victim was identified only as a person between the ages of 70 to 79 from Dakota County who had underlying medical problems and died Dec. 2.


However, there were no H1N1 outbreaks in schools or nursing homes in the week ending Dec. 19, the health department said. The outbreaks have dropped dramatically since the peak in late October.

Maura Lerner ? 612-673-7384
 
Back
Top