• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

More army cadets being treated for symptoms of H1N1 flu

Shiloh

Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/front/article/742380

More army cadets being treated for symptoms of H1N1 flu
Published Tuesday July 28th, 2009

FREDERICTON - A group of army cadets have been placed in isolation following an outbreak of the H1N1 influenza virus at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown last week.

Forty-eight cadets between the ages of 12 and 18 were receiving medical attention Monday for flu symptoms at the base near Fredericton.

That's a significant increase from Friday, when it was announced that 27 cadets were being treated for the flu symptoms.

Tests have been conducted and sent to the provincial laboratory in Moncton. So far, only two test results have been returned and both confirmed the pandemic influenza.

Captain Doug Keirstead said Monday the base is taking precautions to prevent further spread of the virus.

"Anyone who has symptoms is receiving medical supervision," he said.

He said the outbreak appears to be subsiding and that many of the infected cadets are approaching the end of the seven-day period of contagion.

The Argonaut Army Cadet Summer Training Centre at the base hosts about 600 cadets at a time throughout the summer; some for two weeks, some for three weeks and about 300 for six weeks.

Officials decided last week not to go ahead with the second two-week intake of cadets.

Keirstead said a decision would be made shortly on the third group of two-week cadets and the second group of three-week cadets set to attend in early August.

Keirstead said additional medical personnel have been brought in to assist with the increased volume of illness, and the flu sufferers are being provided with 24-hour nursing supervision and daily physician checks.
 
Back
Top