• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Michigan: Warren woman state?s first swine flu death

theforeigner

Well-known member
http://www.candgnews.com/Homepage-Articles/2009/6-02-09/First-MI-swine-flu-death.asp


Officials: Warren woman state?s first ?swine flu? death
By Brian C. Louwers
C & G Staff Writer

WARREN ? A 53-year-old Warren woman has been confirmed as the state?s first death linked to the H1N1 ?swine flu? strain, state and county officials said on June 3.

According to James McCurtis, spokesperson for the Michigan Department of Community Health, the woman reportedly passed away at a hospital in Macomb County on June 1.

?She lived in Warren. She also had underlying illnesses, but she died from complications of H1N1,? McCurtis said.

According to the MDCH?s Web site, 298 cases of the HIN1 flu strain had been confirmed in Michigan across 34 counties as of 5 p.m. on June 2. Among that number, the site listed 20 cases in Macomb County, 68 cases in Oakland County, and 15 cases in Wayne County.

Nationwide, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 11,054 probable and confirmed cases of Novel Influenza A (H1N1) resulting in 17 deaths as of 11 a.m. on June 3.

?There?s no reason for anybody to panic or become alarmed. It?s unfortunate that we lost someone because of the H1N1 virus. At the same time, this is not something that?s unexpected,? McCurtis added. ?So far with this flu across the country we?ve had 17 deaths. Ten thousand people have been confirmed or probable. It isn?t out of the ordinary to see a death. It?s unfortunate, though.?

McCurtis said the woman, who was not further identified by officials, had been sick for approximately two weeks before she died.

?We already knew she had the strain,? he added.

McCurtis and Macomb County Public Affairs Director Phil Frame encouraged residents to follow common sense measures designed to prevent the spread of the influenza virus.

?Wash your hands as much as you can and cover coughs and sneezes. Stay at home when you?re sick. Don?t come to work and spread the germs around,? Frame said. ?The CDC says this is no more deadly than any other strain of flu.?

Citing statistics available to him, Frame said the county reported 62,000 cases of influenza-like illness in 2006. The number of deaths reported in that period was not readily available.

You can reach Staff Writer Brian C. Louwers at brianlouwers@candgnews.com or (586) 498-1089.
 
Back
Top