• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Mauritania - Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic Fever (CCHF) outbreak 2023

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
Translation Google

Mauritania: One death from Crimean-Congo fever

Sahara Media 10 hours ago

Mauritania's health ministry announced on Friday the death of a person with Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever after the disease was diagnosed at his home in a neighboring country.

The director general of public health, Mohamed Mahmoud O. Ely Telmoud said that the epidemiological surveillance and investigation services identified the people who had been in contact with the deceased and placed them under control, affirming however that they are in good health and their condition is normal”.

He added that this is the first human case recorded in a Mauritanian during this year.

He further said that the ministry has dispatched investigative missions to the cattle that may have been the source of the disease in order to treat it and take the requested measures in this regard.

Mauritania had announced the discovery of the first case of this fatal haemorrhagic fever in February last year, but the ministry had mentioned in its time the appearance of non-worrying cases of the disease recorded annually in Mauritania.

Mauritania had reported the discovery of 5 cases of the disease, three of which were cured and the other two died.

Crimean Congolese fever is one of the most dangerous haemorrhagic fevers known, and the World Health Organization says the virus that causes the disease is transmitted to humans by ticks and animals. breeding, while it is transmitted from person to person through contact with blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of the infected person.

The WHO notes that despite the early onset of this hemorrhagic fever, “there is no vaccine against the virus, either for humans or animals”.

The treatment protocol is limited to the treatment of only the symptoms that appear, and the permanent care of the patient.

https://fr.saharamedias.net/mauritanie-un-deces-consecutif-a-la-fievre-crimee-congo/

---------------------------------------------

Ministry of Health 12h

The Director General of Public Health, Mr. Mohamed Mahmoud Ould Ell Mahmoud, speaking about the new epidemiological situation in the country and the measures taken by the sector after announcing the infection of a 69-year-old Mauritanian with Congolese Crimean fever by the health authorities in a neighboring country, where he was being treated for a medical condition before That his death be announced, may God Almighty have mercy on him.
The Director General confirmed that immediately after announcing the case, the epidemiological monitoring and investigation services began researching the matter, and identified contacts of the deceased, and they are now being monitored regularly, and their condition is normal and reassuring, praise be to God.
The Director-General also explained that this is the first human case of this disease to be recorded with a Mauritanian citizen during the current year (2023), and in the same context, missions have been dispatched to investigate animals that could be a source of fever, to treat them and take the required measures in this regard. .

https://www.facebook.com/MSMauritanie/
 
Translation Google

Senegal: a Mauritanian victim of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever

July 30, 2023 - 13:41

A human case of Crimean Congo hemorrhagic fever was confirmed on July 28, at the Pikine National Hospital Center in the suburbs of Dakar, informs the head of the WHO Senegal office, Dr Dossou Vincent. He is a 69-year-old Mauritanian national, trader by profession. The results revealed a recent infection with the Crimean Congo hemorrhagic fever virus, confirms the Pasteur Institute.

The information collected on his arrival showed that the onset of the disease dated back to July 17 and that the first consultation for medical care took place in a health facility in Mauritania on July 18, indicates the notification published by the Senegalese Ministry of Health.

The patient died the same day, shortly after admission. The CHN of Pikine was supported for a secure management of the body.


http://lecalame.info/?q=node/14848
 
Translation Google

Mauritania: discovery of a case of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever

Sahara Media 41 minutes ago

The Mauritanian Ministry of Health revealed on Saturday the discovery of a case of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever in a 23-year-old woman.

According to a press release from the Mauritanian Ministry of Health, the epidemiological monitoring services, on the basis of analyzes carried out on Saturday evening in the virus laboratory at the national institute for research in the field of public health, discovered a new case of fever Crimea-Congo hemorrhagic.

The victim is a 23-year-old woman who arrived at the national hospital two days ago suffering from fever, headache and fatigue.

The press release adds that the patient is currently being followed in the infectious diseases department at the national hospital, by a specialized team from the newly created emergency unit for this type of illness.

Her condition, according to the press release, is satisfactory clinically and biologically.

https://fr.saharamedias.net/mauritanie-decouverte-dun-cas-de-la-fievre-hemorragique-crimee-congo/

-------------------------------------------------

Ministry of Health: detection of a new case of Congolese fever

The Ministry of Health indicated that epidemiological monitoring and investigation services revealed, on Saturday evening, a new case of Congolese fever from Crimea.

According to a statement published on the Facebook account of the Ministry of Health, the case was confirmed based on the results of analyzes carried out by the virus laboratory of the National Research Institute in the Field of Public Health.

The file confirms that the case belongs to a 23-year-old woman who "presented to the National Hospital two days ago for treatment, as she complained of fever, headache and fatigue."

He added: “The woman concerned is currently being treated at the Department of Infectious Diseases of the National Hospital by a specialist team within the newly established emergency cell to deal with such cases.”

...

https://arriyada.net/fr/ministere-de-la-sante-detection-dun-nouveau-cas-de-la-fievre-congolaise/
 
WEEKLY BULLETIN ON OUTBREAKS
AND OTHER EMERGENCIES

Week 37: 11 - 17 September 2023
Data as reported by: 17:00; 17 September 2023

...

Mauritania

Crimean-Congo haemorrhagic fever


2 cases
1 death
50% CFR


ungraded

EVENT DESCRIPTION

On 09 September 2023, the Directorate of Strategic
Information and Epidemiological Surveillance of
the Ministry of Health in Mauritania was notified by
the National Institute of Public Health Research of a
confirmed case of Crimean-Congo haemorrhagic fever
(CCHF).

The case-patient is a 23-year-old housewife residing
in Libheir locality in Barkeol district located in Assaba
region of the southern part of the country. She had no
history of tick bite. She had onset of symptoms of highgrade
fever, fatigue, headache, vomiting, diarrhoea,
abdominal and joint pain on 05 September 2023 and
received symptomatic treatment at home.

With the persistent high-grade fever, she was taken
the following day to the National Hospital Center in
Nouakchott where she presented with ecchymosis and
started bleeding from the nose. A blood sample was
collected and sent to the National Institute of Public
Health Research where it underwent PCR testing for
CCHF, Dengue, and Rift Valley fever. The patient was
confirmed positive for CCHF virus on 09 September
2023.

Two suspected viral haemorrhagic fever cases,
grandmother and aunt to the confirmed case were
evacuated to Kiffa Regional Hospital on 28 August 2023
and subsequently died. The blood specimen collected
from the aunt tested negative for CCHF, Dengue, and Rift
Valley fever on 2 September 2023 while the grandmother
was not tested. An epidemiological link has not been
clearly established between the confirmed case and the
two deaths, although they are in the same family.

This is the second confirmed CCHF case recorded
in Mauritania since the beginning of 2023. The first
case was a 58-year-old male from Tevarett district of
Nouakchott North region who had reportedly been
infected in the Ouad Naga district of Trarza region. He
was tested and died in Dakar, Senegal, on 26 July 2023.
His results returned positive for CCHF on 27 July 2023.
No epidemiological link was established between the
two confirmed cases.

Between week 1 and week 37 (week ending 17 September
2023), over 70 suspected cases of CCHF were reported
in Mauritania of which two tested positive.

PUBLIC HEALTH ACTIONS

The incident management system put in place in July
2023 after confirmation of the first case in Dakar has
been reactivated and the first emergency coordination
meeting was held on 11 September 2023 to organize
the response to the outbreak;

Further investigations and active case search are
ongoing in the affected area;

Forty contacts to the case have been identified and
are being monitored;

Samples have been collected from domesticated
animals and ticks for testing at the National Bureau
of Research and Development of Breeding and
Pastoralism (ONARDEP), results are pending.

SITUATION INTERPRETATION

Crimean-Congo haemorrhagic fever outbreaks are
recurrent in Mauritania and this case is the second
reported event in 2023. In a country that relies mainly on
agriculture and animal husbandry, the reoccurrence of
CCHF outbreaks is expected if control measures are not
reinforced. There is need to maintain continued education
to the populations on the preventive measures including
wearing protective and light-coloured clothing in areas
where ticks are active, controlling tick infestations with
approved acaricides, wearing protective clothing when
handling animals, etc. In addition, it is crucial to bolster
infection prevention and control protocols in healthcare
facilities and provide support for the implementation of
One Health interventions at community level.


https://www.afro.who.int/countries/...gencies-bulletin-week-37-11-17-september-2023
 
Back
Top