Legadillo
Resident
BREAKING NEWS: Three 'swine flu' cases are confirmed in Maine
news@TimesRecord.Com
04/29/2009
By Christopher Cousins, Times Record Bureau
AUGUSTA ? State officials confirmed today that three adult Mainers have been infected with the so-called "swine flu" and that several more are being tested.Two of the infected people are from Kennebec County and the third is from York County. All three, whose illnesses at this point were classified as "mild," are at their homes recovering.
"Please stay informed," said Gov. John Baldacci today during a press conference. "People are worried. They're concerned about their family, their kids and their neighbors. Wash your hands frequently and stay home when sick."
Dr. Dora Anne Mills, director of the Maine Center for Disease Control, said little was known about the individuals who have been infected, whether they have been in contact with each other or whether they might have traveled to a common location.
"We are still on the phone with the physicians and talking with the patients," said Mills. "I don't know the full story on all of them."
The state has taken action to acquire antiviral drugs that help combat the symptoms of the illness. In addition to tens of thousands of courses of the drugs that are being shipped to Maine from the national Centers for Disease Control, Baldacci announced that he has authorized spending nearly $2.2 million in federal stimulus funding for approximately 500,000 more antiviral treatments.
Reports of swine flu have spread through several countries and numerous states in the United States. The symptoms of swine flu ? which Mills said is more accurately referred to as the H1N1 virus ? are similar to the common flu, including fever, lethargy, lack of appetite, coughing, runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. As of Wednesday afternoon, there had been one death attributed to H1N1 in the United States, a 22-month-old child in Texas, according to national reports.
The Maine Center for Disease Control has nurses and epidemiologists on call 24 hours a day and the Department of Education has alerted schools of the protocol to follow if a student becomes infected. Baldacci said in that event, schools will be closed aggressively, including schools that are linked by bus routes.
Mills recommended the following steps be taken:
Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or a sleeve;
Wash your hands often with soap and water or alcohol-based cleaners, especially after a cough or sneeze;
Avoid close contact with sick people;
If you're sick, stay home and limit contact with others;
If you're sick, call you health care provider with information about your symptoms and where you have traveled.
The Maine Center for Disease Control's Web site has more information at www.maine.gov/dhhs/boh/swine-flu-2009.shtml.
http://www.timesrecord.com/website/main.nsf/news.nsf/0/82A248A6CE726CE3852575A700628EEC?Opendocument
news@TimesRecord.Com
04/29/2009
By Christopher Cousins, Times Record Bureau
AUGUSTA ? State officials confirmed today that three adult Mainers have been infected with the so-called "swine flu" and that several more are being tested.Two of the infected people are from Kennebec County and the third is from York County. All three, whose illnesses at this point were classified as "mild," are at their homes recovering.
"Please stay informed," said Gov. John Baldacci today during a press conference. "People are worried. They're concerned about their family, their kids and their neighbors. Wash your hands frequently and stay home when sick."
Dr. Dora Anne Mills, director of the Maine Center for Disease Control, said little was known about the individuals who have been infected, whether they have been in contact with each other or whether they might have traveled to a common location.
"We are still on the phone with the physicians and talking with the patients," said Mills. "I don't know the full story on all of them."
The state has taken action to acquire antiviral drugs that help combat the symptoms of the illness. In addition to tens of thousands of courses of the drugs that are being shipped to Maine from the national Centers for Disease Control, Baldacci announced that he has authorized spending nearly $2.2 million in federal stimulus funding for approximately 500,000 more antiviral treatments.
Reports of swine flu have spread through several countries and numerous states in the United States. The symptoms of swine flu ? which Mills said is more accurately referred to as the H1N1 virus ? are similar to the common flu, including fever, lethargy, lack of appetite, coughing, runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. As of Wednesday afternoon, there had been one death attributed to H1N1 in the United States, a 22-month-old child in Texas, according to national reports.
The Maine Center for Disease Control has nurses and epidemiologists on call 24 hours a day and the Department of Education has alerted schools of the protocol to follow if a student becomes infected. Baldacci said in that event, schools will be closed aggressively, including schools that are linked by bus routes.
Mills recommended the following steps be taken:
Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or a sleeve;
Wash your hands often with soap and water or alcohol-based cleaners, especially after a cough or sneeze;
Avoid close contact with sick people;
If you're sick, stay home and limit contact with others;
If you're sick, call you health care provider with information about your symptoms and where you have traveled.
The Maine Center for Disease Control's Web site has more information at www.maine.gov/dhhs/boh/swine-flu-2009.shtml.
http://www.timesrecord.com/website/main.nsf/news.nsf/0/82A248A6CE726CE3852575A700628EEC?Opendocument