• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Maine 2009-2010 Flu Season

Ronan Kelly

Retired 2020
Maine swine flu deaths increase
Ken Christian, Information Center Content Manager
AUGUSTA, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- The Maine Center for Disease Control is reporting the deaths of two more people from swine flu, or H1N1 influenza. Seven people have now died from H1N1.

Dr. Dora Mills, director of the Maine CDC says both patients had severe underlying conditions.

One of the victims was older than 65 and from Washington county. The other lived in Washington county and was between 25 and 65 years old. The Maine CDC does not identify people who die from H1N1.

Mills says, "...This news demonstrates how severe influenza can be, especially in those with underlying conditions, pregnant women, and children."
http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=111478&catid=2
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 2 more deaths in Maine - total 9

Re: 2 more deaths in Maine - total 9

Source: http://www.mpbn.net/News/MaineHeadlineNews/tabid/968/ctl/ViewItem/mid/3479/ItemId/9956/Default.aspx

Two More Die in Maine After Contracting Swine Flu
11/25/2009 12:46 PM ET

The latest victims were from Androscoggin County and Franklin County.

Two more deaths have been reported due to H1N1 influenza in Maine, bringing the total to nine since August, according to the Maine Center for Disease Control.

State health officials say the latest victims include an Androscoggin County resident and a Franklin County resident, both 25 to 65 years of age who have died this week. Maine CDC Director Dr. Dora Anne Mills says both had multiple serious underlying conditions.

This past week, 31 Maine people have been hospitalized after contracting the disease, including eight children. Three of these hospitalizations were to intensive care units, officials say.
 
Re: Maine--Week 48 (total 13 deaths)

Re: Maine--Week 48 (total 13 deaths)

Week 48:
"The Maine CDC in the Department of Health and Human Services reported two more deaths related to H1N1 Tuesday ? one a Mainer age 50-65 who died out of state and the other, a person older than age 65 from Penobscot County. Maine has now reported 13 deaths from H1N1 and multiple underlying medical conditions have been a factor in all cases."
http://www.maine.gov/tools/whatsnew/index.php?topic=DHS+Press+Releases&id=85923&v=cdc_article
 
Re: Maine--Week 50: No New Deaths (total 17)

Re: Maine--Week 50: No New Deaths (total 17)

Maine CDC/DHHS Update on 2009 H1N1 Influenza Virus
December 23, 2009 (Week 50)

"Flu Activity in Maine and the US Data indicate that H1N1 flu has been relatively mild in Maine compared with other states, and continues to decline. There have been no new deaths since the last update.

There were 9 new hospitalizations last week, down from 11 last week, and across all age groups. There were no new admissions to intensive care. Individuals were hospitalized in Cumberland, Franklin, Kennebec, Oxford, Penobscot, Washington, and York counties.

Outbreaks were reported in one long term care facility and two K-12 schools. The outbreaks occurred in Penobscot, Somerset, and York counties."

Deaths in Age-Groups:
18 and under: 0
19-24: 1
25-49: 2
50-64: 6
65&up: 8
Total: 17
http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/boh/index.shtml
 
Re: Maine--Week 51: No New Deaths (total 17)

Re: Maine--Week 51: No New Deaths (total 17)

"Maine CDC/DHHS Update on 2009 H1N1 Influenza Virus
December 30, 2009

Flu continues to decline in Maine and the rest of the United States, but it is important to be aware that flu comes in waves. Protect yourself and those you care about by getting vaccinated before the next wave.

No new deaths due to H1N1 have been reported this week. The 17 H1N1-related deaths since August have occurred in people with underlying health conditions, the vast majority with multiple serious underlying conditions.

There were 3 new hospitalizations last week, down from 9 the previous week, and all among those ages 50-64. Two of these were admitted to intensive care. One K-12 school outbreak was reported."
 
Maine Week 5- No New deaths (19 total)

Maine Week 5- No New deaths (19 total)

Maine H1N1 Outbreak No Longer Widespread

Classification Downgraded To Regional

POSTED: 12:14 am EST January 8, 2010
UPDATED: 8:26 am EST January 8, 2010

AUGUSTA, Maine -- Health officials said swine flu has declined to the point where it is no longer classified as widespread in Maine.

Last week, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Maine was one of four states where H1N1 was still formally classified as "widespread." On Thursday, the Maine CDC issued its new assessment, describing the incidence of H1N1 as "regional" in nature across the state.

State officials said people are still being hospitalized due to H1N1, but there were no new reports of deaths. All told, 17 Mainers have died from the H1N1 virus since August.

http://www.wmtw.com/health/22180174/detail.html
 
Re: Maine H1N1 Outbreak No Longer Widespread

Re: Maine H1N1 Outbreak No Longer Widespread

Week 52:

"An Aroostook County resident in the 50 to 64 age group died earlier this week in part due to complications related to H1N1. The deceased was diagnosed with H1N1 in mid-December and had multiple serious underlying conditions. (This death was reported to Maine CDC after the surveillance information at the end of this report was compiled, and therefore will not be reflected in that data at the end of this update.)

All 18 deaths due to H1N1 since August have been among people with underlying health conditions, which emphasizes the importance of getting vaccinated if you have a high-risk condition, including asthma, emphysema, diabetes, heart disease, kidney and liver disorders, neurological disorders, blood disorders, cancer, HIV or AIDS, and others.

There were 5 new hospitalizations due to H1N1 last week, up from 3 the week before. Two children under age 18 were hospitalized, with one in intensive care; one young adult under age 24 was hospitalized and in intensive care; and two adults under age 65 were hospitalized. Hospitalizations occurred in Aroostook, Hancock, and Penobscot counties."
http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/boh/maineflu/flu-news.shtml.
 
Re: Maine Week 3 (18 deaths total)

Re: Maine Week 3 (18 deaths total)

week 3

Sporadic
• No new confirmed and probable cases of H1N1 this week
o No new hospitalizations
• No new outbreaks

There were no new confirmed cases of H1N1 influenza reported in Maine last week. However, 10 people in Maine have been hospitalized due to H1N1 since the beginning of this month, including four children. Of those hospitalized, three required admission to an intensive care unit, including one child and one young adult. Only one of those hospitalized was fully vaccinated and only two had received early antiviral medicines, despite risk factors for severe disease.

Maine CDC issued a health advisory last week to health care providers on an increase in the number and severity of invasive Group A Streptococcal (GAS) infections seen in January in Maine. Since then, additional cases have been identified, bringing the total thus far this month to ten, with an age range of 15 – 90 years-old. Four of these have resulted in Streptococcal Toxic Shock Syndrome (STSS), of which three have died. Although GAS is a common bacteria in the throat and skin, often causing strep throat or impetigo, invasive GAS disease is rare, with the five-year median in Maine being 19 cases per year.
http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/boh/maineflu/flu-news.shtml
 
Re: Maine Week 4- 1 New death (19 total)

Re: Maine Week 4- 1 New death (19 total)

Week 4: Regional

There has been another death due to H1N1, bringing the total to 19 reported since August. This death occurred in an adult in the 25-49 age group in southern Maine. All deaths related to H1N1 in Maine have occurred among people with underlying health conditions.

Maine CDC has now received 11 reports of cases of invasive Group A Streptococcal (GAS) infections seen in January in Maine. Four of these have resulted in Streptococcal Toxic Shock Syndrome (STSS), of which three have died.
http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/boh/maineflu/flu-news.shtml

18.1% percent positive and rising
 
Re: Maine Week 4- 1 New death (19 total)

Re: Maine Week 4- 1 New death (19 total)

Flu death in Southern Maine brings total to 19

By Ellen W. Todd
Sanford News Writer


Thursday, February 11, 2010
YORK COUNTY ? A recent flu death in southern Maine is a reminder that H1N1 influenza A, also called the "swine flu," is still active in the state.

The death brings to 19 the total of reported flu deaths in Maine since August.

The recent death occurred in an adult in the 25-49 age group in southern Maine, according to a press release from the Maine Center for Disease Control (CDC).
-snip-
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100211/GJNEWS03/702119796/-1/SANNEWS
 
Re: Maine Week 4- 1 New death (19 total)

Re: Maine Week 4- 1 New death (19 total)

Source: http://www.mpbn.net/News/MaineNewsArchive/tabid/181/ctl/ViewItem/mid/3483/ItemId/10957/Default.aspx

H1N1 Claims Another Maine Life
02/11/2010 04:40 PM ET

Maine CDC head Dr. Dora Anne Mills says the latest victim was a southern Maine adult with underlying medical conditions.

The H1N1 virus has claimed another life in Maine, bringing the total number of deaths to 19. The head of the Maine Center for Disease Control, Dr. Dora Anne Mills says the latest victim, who died February 4, was a southern Maine adult between the ages of 25 and 49 who had underlying health conditions.

In addition, Mills says the virus has sent a total of 11 people to the hospital in the past month, including four children. Four of those admitted to the hospital have ended up in the intensive care unit.

Mills says the death and hospitalizations highlight the need for Mainers to get vaccinated against H1N1, which she says is still circulating in Maine and has an unpredictable tendency to surge. She says plenty of vaccine is available in Maine, and clinics that offer vaccinations can be found by calling the state's information hotline at 2-1-1, or by going to the state's Website at www.maineflu.gov.
 
Re: Maine--Week 11 & 12 (total 19)

Re: Maine--Week 11 & 12 (total 19)

Maine decided to update 2 weeks today:
Week 11: sporadic (increase)
Week 12: Local(increase)

Week 11:
• No new confirmed cases of H1N1 this week
o No new hospitalizations
o No new deaths
• No new outbreaks

Week 12:
• No new confirmed cases of H1N1 this week
o One confirmed case of Influenza B
o No new hospitalizations
o No new deaths
• No new outbreaks
ILI: near baseline (increase)
P&I: jumped
Percent positive: jumped from 0% to about 8%
http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/boh/influenza_surveillance_weekly_updates.shtml
 
Back
Top