• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Kenya - US Ebola treatment center, cases/deaths - none yet - June 4+

sharon sanders

Editor-in-Chief & President
US equipment, experts arrive at Kenya Ebola facility despite court order, protests

By Ammu Kannampilly and David Lewis
June 3, 20261:23 PM EDTUpdated 1 hour ago​


https://www.reuters.com/business/he...lity-despite-court-order-protests-2026-06-03/


-----------------------------------------------------------------

Please see:

DRC - 17th Ebola outbreak : Completely unreliable case and death counts by DRC gov. - May 2026+

Uganda - 15 confirmed Ebola cases, incl. 1 death - May 15+

Discussion - Ebola outbreaks 2026 (DRC & Uganda)
 
Translation Google

Kenya: At least one dead during protests against the Ebola center

By Ali Bamba (with AFP)
Last updated: 4 hours ago

At least one person was shot and wounded Tuesday during violent clashes between Kenyan police and protesters opposing the construction of an Ebola quarantine center for American citizens in a tourist town.

The center, located at Laikipia Air Base in Nanyuki, at the foot of Mount Kenya, is intended to quarantine Americans arriving from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), which is facing a serious Ebola epidemic.

Kenya has never recorded a case of Ebola and many oppose the idea of ​​allowing people who may be carrying this highly contagious disease into the country.

Clashes broke out around Nanyuki, where protesters lit fires and threw stones at law enforcement, who responded with tear gas and water cannons, as observed by AFP journalists.

Gunshots were heard, and AFP saw a man lying motionless after being shot in the head. The Red Cross reported that another person was injured by a tear gas grenade.

AFP was able to confirm that dozens of people had been arrested, including by plainclothes and armed police officers.

"Laikipia is not a dumping ground... I do not appreciate the United States' decision to build a quarantine center in our country," said Priscilla Waimani, 47, a protester wrapped in a Kenyan flag.

The center, which is expected to have 50 isolation beds and be run by American staff, was nearing completion at the end of last week.

The work continued despite a provisional suspension order issued by the High Court of Kenya and opposition from local political leaders in Laikipia.

According to a human rights organization, two people died during the June 1st protests, although the circumstances of these deaths remain unclear.

President William Ruto's government has pledged to continue implementing this project, stating that it owes Washington a debt for all these years of aid.

The United States has also pledged $13.5 million in aid to support Kenya's Ebola preparedness efforts.

"The American people and the American government have been our partners in healthcare for almost 25 to 30 years," Ruto said last week.

"It would be truly regrettable if we refused a request from the Americans to set up a facility at their own expense. That would give us a very inhumane image."

The Kenyan health minister stated that the facility would be intended for both Kenyans and Americans, although this was not the message conveyed by Washington.

But the protesters insist that she resolve the problems within her own territory.

"We are telling the Americans to take their Ebola and go back to their country," Mwangi Wangai, 30, told AFP during the demonstration, wearing personal protective equipment.

- Health offer -

The news about the quarantine center has already had repercussions for tourism in Kenya, even in Nairobi, the capital, located some 200 kilometers (125 miles) away.

Eva Mwangi, sales manager for the luxury hotel group Tribe in Nairobi, said that about 10% of corporate bookings had been cancelled since the announcement of the quarantine center's creation.

"The government must reiterate the measures it is implementing to ensure safety. If this is done proactively, it can only be beneficial," she said.

The construction of this center follows a controversial agreement reached last year between the United States and Kenya in the field of health, under which the East African country agreed to transmit considerable amounts of health data in exchange for multi-billion dollars in aid.

The World Health Organization has declared an international health emergency following the outbreak in the DRC, where 550 cases have been confirmed, including 101 deaths.

Abdirahman Mahamud, director of health emergency alert and response operations at the WHO, said the center was the result of "local bilateral collaboration" between the United States and Kenya, and stressed that dialogue was essential.

"It is impossible to put in place effective preparation or intervention without the support of the community," he told reporters in the city of Bunia, in northeastern DRC.

Despite fears of the virus spreading to neighboring countries, only Uganda has recorded cases. The country has confirmed 19 to date, almost all of them Congolese nationals who crossed the border.

https://fr.africanews.com/2026/06/0...ifestations-contre-le-centre-americain-dedie/
 
Kenya minister halts construction of US-backed Ebola quarantine centre

1 hour ago
Wycliffe Muia, Akisa Wandera, BBC Africa,Peter Mwai, BBC Verify, Nairobi and Natasha Booty

Kenya's Health Minister Aden Duale has halted the construction of a controversial US-funded Ebola quarantine facility in the country a day after he was found in contempt of court for ignoring a judge's ruling.

Appearing in court on Tuesday, Duale apologised and said he had "directed the immediate and complete cessation" of building work at a military base in the town of Nanyuki.
...
"I sincerely regret any action or omission, misunderstanding or misinterpretation that may have resulted in non-compliance of the order of this court or created the perception thereof," Duale added.

He stated that he would be "the last person to defy a court order," highlighting his long public service career and involvement in legislative processes in the country.

High Court Judge Patricia Nyaundi accepted Duale's apology saying the minister was "discharged with a stern warning".
...
Talking about what should happen next, Duale said that both the Kenyan and US governments had agreed to suspend the proposed collaboration concerning the Ebola facility following the court order.
...

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c4gy6vk44pwo
 
Aid group says seven Americans quarantining at Kenya Ebola facility after US travel ban

By Emma Farge
July 17, 20262:27 AM CDTUpdated 6 hours ago

GENEVA/NAIROBI, July 17 (Reuters) - Seven American aid workers who had been in Congo to fight the Ebola outbreak are quarantining at a new isolation facility in Kenya ‌after the U.S. government introduced travel restrictions, the head of a U.S. charity employing them told Reuters.

The aid workers are the first known people to quarantine at the facility, which has sparked huge opposition in Kenya and is at the heart of a legal case in which a court has ordered the work to be suspended. Construction continued however, according to U.S. officials and satellite imagery reviewed by Reuters.
...
"Samaritan’s Purse has ​seven American Disaster Assistance Response Team staff members there," Franklin Graham, president and CEO of Samaritan’s Purse, told Reuters in response to questions.

"None of them have any symptoms, but they are being quarantined by the Kenyan government for 21 days," Graham said.
...

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...ya-ebola-facility-after-us-travel-2026-07-17/
 
Back
Top