• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Kent County announces second swine-flu related death

JimO

Well-known member
Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2009/10/kent_county_announces_second_s.html

Kent County announces second swine-flu related death
By Kyla King The Grand Rapids Press
October 30, 2009, 3:41PM

KENT COUNTY -- Kent County health officials say the passing of a 33-year-old man with no underlying health conditions is second death associated with the swine flu virus.

"This is the second time this month that influenza has caused a fatality, and this illustrates why we need to take the virus seriously," said Cathy Raevsky, county administrative health officer. "While the vast majority of people who catch the virus will recover fully and without complications, that's not always the case."

The man's name and details of his illness were not released.

Kent County's first H1N1-related death was announced last Friday. Cynthia Luke, 52, of Cutlerville, died Oct. 21 from heart disease and other health problems compounded by H1N1 flu.

This week, Ottawa County health officials reported that county's first swine-flu related death. Holland resident Ken Scholten, 54, was a developmentally disabled man with underlying health conditions.

So far, 10 H1N1-related deaths have been reported in Michigan, which is in the midst of an outbreak of the flu.

Health department officials say people with the flu do not need to see a doctor and should recover without medication unless their symptoms are unusually severe, or they are at increased risk because of other conditions.

People more likely to experience complications are children under 5, adults 65 and older, pregnant women, and those with cancer, blood disorders and other illnesses that weaken the immune system.

Emergency warning signs in children are trouble breathing, bluish skin, dehydration, lethargy, irritability and fever with a rash.

Health department officials say people should get a 2009 H1N1 flu vaccine as soon as it is available.

Though, supplies have arrived slower than expected and hampered immunization efforts beyond health care workers and emergency responders.

About 5,200 does arrived in Kent County this week and were distributed to doctors and will likely go to priority groups like pregnant women, children and those with health conditions. State officials said Thursday a shipment of 635,000 doses of the H1N1 vaccine had been ordered and was on its way to Michigan.

Kent County officials said as more vaccine becomes available, vaccine will be provided through doctors, pharmacies and public health clinics.

Check www.stickittotheflu.com or call the Flu Hotline at (616) 742-4FLU (4358) for frequent updates about vaccine availability.
 
Re: Kent County announces second swine-flu related death

Grand Valley student, 33, identified as Kent County's second flu victim

By Kyla King The Grand Rapids Press

October 30, 2009, 10:05PM

GRAND RAPIDS -- A Grand Valley State University student described as "unusually bright and talented" is the is Kent County's second death associated with the swine flu virus.

John David Prince, 33, of Grand Rapids, died Thursday according to the Kent County Health Department and the university.
Prince died in a local hospital, where he had been admitted with a flu-related illness, health department spokeswoman Bridie Bereza said.

The department learned of the death Friday, and the university posted an online note to students about the loss on a campus Web page.

"We are saddened by Mr. Prince's passing and we want to express our sympathies to his family, friends and those who had classes with him," GVSU President Thomas J. Haas said in a statement.

Grand Valley's Counseling Center staff will be available to visit classes to talk to students or to meet with them individually. The Campus Health Center is planning to distribute H1N1 vaccines at a clinic Tuesday, university spokesman Matt McLogan said.

"This is very, very sad," he said. "Mr. Prince is someone who returned to school after losing his job, and his professors told us he was unusually bright and talented."

The death comes as Kent County's number of flu-related illnesses rose to a statewide high of 8,895 last week, outpacing other counties in Michigan by more than 3,000 cases, according to a Michigan Department of Community Health report.

"Obviously this is going to stand out to people. It's scary to think of somebody otherwise healthy dying from this, but it just emphasizes flu can be very serious," Bereza said. "Death in flu is very rare, and in an otherwise-healthy person very rare, but it can be serious."
Kalamazoo, Jackson and Isabella counties also had growing tallies, while reports of flu-like illnesses in Ottawa County dropped from 1,186 in the week ending Oct. 17 to just 28 cases last week.

Bereza said even though flu vaccine still is in short supply, when it becomes available people should be get vaccinated and in the meantime take preventative measures.

"Stay away from sick people, and if you are sick, stay home," she said.

Cathy Raevsky, county administrative health officer, said this is the second time this month that influenza has caused a fatality and illustrates why people need to take the virus seriously.

"While the vast majority of people who catch the virus will recover fully and without complications, that's not always the case," Raevsky.
Kent County's first H1N1-related death was last week.

Cynthia Luke, 52, of Cutlerville, died Oct. 21 from heart disease and other health-related problems compounded by H1N1 flu.

This week, Ottawa County reported the county's first swine-flu related death. Holland resident Ken Scholten, 54, was a developmentally disabled man with underlying health conditions.

As of last week, 10 H1N1-related deaths had been reported in Michigan.
Health officials say people with flu symptoms do not need to see a doctor and should recover without medication unless those are are unusually severe, or they are at increased risk because of other conditions.

People more likely to experience complications are children younger than 5 years old, adults 65 years old and older, pregnant women, and those with cancer, blood disorders and other illnesses that weaken the immune system.

Emergency warning signs in children are trouble breathing, bluish skin, dehydration, lethargy, irritability and fever with a rash.
Health officials said people should get a 2009 H1N1 flu vaccine as soon as available.

However, supplies have arrived slower than expected and hampered immunization efforts beyond health-care workers and emergency responders.

About 5,200 doses arrived in Kent County this week and were distributed to doctors and will likely go to priority groups like pregnant women, children and those with health conditions.

State officials said Thursday a shipment of 635,000 doses of the H1N1 vaccine had been ordered for Michigan.

Kent County officials said as more vaccine becomes available, vaccine will be provided through doctors, pharmacies and public health clinics.

On Friday, Ottawa County cancelled a seasonal flu vaccine clinic schedled Tuesday at its Grand Haven office. Mercy Visiting Nurse Services, which supplies the clinic, said the vaccine doses were unavailable, spokeswoman Shannon Felgner said.

"We are disappointed about this announcement," she said. "We know that there are many people who are struggling to find " the vaccines.

For vaccine availability, check stickittotheflu.com for Kent County and miOttawa.org/flu for Ottawa County.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2009/10/grand_valley_student_33_identi.html
 
Back
Top