• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Japanese avoid NZ after swine flu

Sally Furniss

Well-known member
Japanese avoid NZ after swine flu

By ANDREW JANES - The Dominion Post Last updated 05:00 12/05/2009

Japanese tourists spooked by swine flu are pulling out of tours to New Zealand in droves, tour companies say.
Southern Travel chief executive Jacqueline Walshe said her company had nearly 700 Japanese bookings cancelled in the past week as a result of the swine flu fears, with the prospect of more to come.
Bookings from Japan for May and June were down by about 75 per cent, she said.
An advisory notice from Japan's Education Ministry to schools to reconsider trips to New Zealand had had a major impact, Ms Walshe said. The company had not seen the same effect in other markets.
The managing director of another big large inbound tour operator agreed that the Japanese market had been hit severely, with some groups cancelling and others postponing until later in the year.
Tourism New Zealand chief executive George Hickton said that, although there had been pockets of swine flu-related concern from other markets, Japan's reaction was the most significant.
Japanese travellers were more sensitive to health scares and government warnings, he said. "We see it every time."
The New Zealand tourism industry was working hard to allay Japanese concerns.
No new confirmed or probable cases of swine flu have been reported since Saturday, the Health Ministry says. The number of confirmed cases remained at seven and the number of probable cases stayed at 12.


http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/world/2402612/Japanese-avoid-NZ-after-swine-flu
 
Back
Top