Gert van der Hoek
In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
Tepco now admits radioactive water entering the sea at Fukushima No. 1
Fisheries exec shocked by utility's flip-flop on groundwater's flow
JUL 22, 2013
Fukushima nuclear plant operator Tepco on Monday admitted for the first time that radioactive groundwater is flowing into the sea, fueling fears that marine life is being poisoned.
The admission came a day after voters handed the largely pro-nuclear Liberal Democratic Party of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe ? and ally New Komeito ? a handsome majority in the Upper House.
Earlier this month, Tokyo Electric Power Co. said groundwater samples taken at the battered plant showed that levels of cesium-134 had shot up more than 110 times in a few days.
Although unable to explain the increased readings, Tepco had nevertheless maintained the toxic groundwater was likely being contained, largely by concrete foundations and steel sheets.
?But now we believe that contaminated water has flowed out to the sea,? a Tepco spokesman said Monday.
However, the spokesman insisted the impact of the radioactive water on the ocean would be limited. ?Seawater data have shown no abnormal rise in the levels of radioactivity.?
Tetsu Nozaki, chairman of Fukushima Prefectural Federation of Fisheries Co-operative Associations, voiced deep concern.
?It was quite shocking,? he told NHK. ?(Tepco?s) explanation is totally different from the one in the past.?
More: Japan Times
thanks to Crof
Fisheries exec shocked by utility's flip-flop on groundwater's flow
JUL 22, 2013
Fukushima nuclear plant operator Tepco on Monday admitted for the first time that radioactive groundwater is flowing into the sea, fueling fears that marine life is being poisoned.
The admission came a day after voters handed the largely pro-nuclear Liberal Democratic Party of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe ? and ally New Komeito ? a handsome majority in the Upper House.
Earlier this month, Tokyo Electric Power Co. said groundwater samples taken at the battered plant showed that levels of cesium-134 had shot up more than 110 times in a few days.
Although unable to explain the increased readings, Tepco had nevertheless maintained the toxic groundwater was likely being contained, largely by concrete foundations and steel sheets.
?But now we believe that contaminated water has flowed out to the sea,? a Tepco spokesman said Monday.
However, the spokesman insisted the impact of the radioactive water on the ocean would be limited. ?Seawater data have shown no abnormal rise in the levels of radioactivity.?
Tetsu Nozaki, chairman of Fukushima Prefectural Federation of Fisheries Co-operative Associations, voiced deep concern.
?It was quite shocking,? he told NHK. ?(Tepco?s) explanation is totally different from the one in the past.?
More: Japan Times
thanks to Crof