• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Ireland - Norovirus cases 2011

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
The Irish Times - Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Events shelved after hotel vomiting outbreak

KITTY HOLLAND

A LARGE hotel in Dublin has had to cancel a number of Christmas events and suspend its food and beverage service after a suspected outbreak of the winter vomiting bug in its catering services.

John Glynn, manager of the Regency Hotel in Drumcondra, said he had received ?between 50 and 100? calls from people who had dined there last week complaining of being ill afterwards.

The HSE had also received a number of complaints.

?The hotel was exceptionally busy last week at lunch, dinner, cabarets and Christmas parties,? Mr Glynn added.
...
?We have had to cancel two events, affecting about 500 people, which is a pity but the people are very grateful and understanding of the stance I have taken.

?The suspicion is, I am told, that the bug is the norovirus, which is the virus that brings on the symptoms of the winter vomiting. That will have to be confirmed in the next day or so.?

Full text:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1214/1224309043543.html
 
Re: Ireland - Norovirus cases 2011

Winter vomiting bug outbreak at Beaumont

Updated: 19:10, Tuesday, 27 December 2011

Beaumont Hospital in Dublin is urging members of the public not to visit unless it is essential and unavoidable.

The warning is due to an outbreak of the winter vomiting bug, or norovirus.

A hospital spokesperson said today that 42 patients had symptoms of the virus, including severe abdominal cramps, vomiting and diarrhoea.

38 beds are currently unavailable in the hospital as a result of quarantine arrangements.

More...
http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1227/bug.html
 
Re: Ireland - Norovirus cases 2011

The Irish Times - Thursday, December 29, 2011

Winter vomiting outbreak one of worst in recent years

STEVEN CARROLL and MARTIN WALL

AN OUTBREAK of the winter vomiting virus which has led to visiting restrictions being introduced in two of Dublin?s main hospitals has been described by doctors as one of the worst seen here in recent years.

Beaumont and St Vincent?s hospitals said the virus had affected some 100 staff and patients in recent days. Symptoms of the virus include abdominal cramps, vomiting and diarrhoea.

About 40 beds were unavailable at Beaumont Hospital yesterday as a result of quarantine arrangements put in place to deal with the outbreak.

A further 19 beds were out of commission at St Vincent?s. A spokesman for Beaumont Hospital said ?only truly essential visits should be made? and that there should be no more than one visitor per patient.

Dr Edmond Smyth, consultant microbiologist at Beaumont, said the outbreak was one of the worst in recent years. He said 153 patients and staff had shown symptoms of the virus at Beaumont since the start of the month. There were 45 patients being treated in the hospital for the illness yesterday, with 30 new cases emerging overnight. ?We really are quite concerned about it and despite taking all the appropriate measures, the outbreak continues.?
...
St Vincent?s said it had identified 59 cases and was asking the public to attend only the emergency department when necessary, and not to bring children to the hospital.
...
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/1229/1224309593630.html
 
Back
Top