• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Investigators search for cause that led 36 students to hospital

Snowy Owl

Retired in 2010, In Memoriam
Mystery illness strikes Radford
Investigators search for cause that led 36 students to hospital
http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149192752640&path=!news&s=1045855934842



<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>BY REX BOWMAN
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
</TD><TD align=right>Jan 20, 2007
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>


<!-- NO VIDEO CHILDREN -->Three dozen Radford University students were treated at a local hospital yesterday after a mysterious illness brought on stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhea.

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript><!--if (hasPhoto) document.write('
');//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript><!--if (typeof mgSiteID!='undefined' & mgSiteID=='RTD'){ DisplayOasAd("Top,Top1,Top2,Top3,Middle,Middle1,Middle2,Middle3,Left,Left1,Left2,Left3,Right,Right1,Right2,Right3!Left3");}// --></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://ads.mgnetwork.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_jx.ads/timesdispatch.com/news/1149192752640.htm/1658565448@Top,Top1,Top2,Top3,Middle,Middle1,Middle2,Middle3,Left,Left1,Left2,Left3,Right,Right1,Right2,Right3!Left3"></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
School spokesman Rob Tucker said three of the students were admitted to the Carilion New River Valley Medical Center for evaluation. The others were released after treatment.

The New River Valley Health District is trying to find the cause of the illness and could have results back from a Roanoke laboratory as early as today.

Bobby Parker, spokesman for the health district, said investigators don't know yet if the sickness is a foodborne illness or due to surface contaminants or a norovirus.

In the meantime, as a precaution, the school has closed two of the four restaurants in the campus' Dalton Hall food court.

Tucker said investigators interviewed six students and determined that a significant number of them had eaten at the two restaurants in the past two days.

The school also posted a note on its Web site notifying students and parents of the illness and encouraging students with symptoms to report to the school health center.

Parker said sick students started showing up at the hospital Thursday night. Yesterday's first case of sickness was reported at 2 a.m., and by noon 18 students had been treated at the hospital, Tucker said.

The number doubled to at least three dozen by yesterday evening, Parker said.
The health district is urging students to wash their hands and follow standard hygienic practices, Parker said, adding that the illness does not seem to be overly debilitating. "It's not as serious as one might imagine."
 
Back
Top