Re: Indonesia, Tangerang - Man, 18, Suspected H5N1 Bird Flu Died - H1N1 positive
http://www.promedmail.org/
Published Date: 2012-01-27 16:57:35
Subject: PRO/AH/EDR> Avian influenza, human (15): Indonesia (JA), NOT
Archive Number: 20120127.1024070
AVIAN INFLUENZA, HUMAN (15): INDONESIA (JAKARTA), NOT
*****************************************************
A ProMED-mail post
http://www.promedmail.org
ProMED-mail is a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases
http://www.isid.org
Date: Fri 27 Jan 2012
Source: The Jakarta Post [edited]
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2012/01/27/tangerang-man-positive-swine-flu-health-ministry.html
Tangerang man positive for swine flu: Health Ministry
---------------------------------------------
The 18-year-old man in Tangerang, who was suspected of being infected with bird flu [avian influenza H/(H5N1) virus infection] and who died on Wednesday [25 Jan 2012], has tested positive for swine flu [influenza A/(H1N1)pdm virus infection], the Health Ministry said. The Ministry's head of research and development, Trihono, told The Jakarta Post on Thursday [26 Jan 2012] that the man had contracted the H1N1 virus which caused a pandemic in 2009.
Trihono said, however, that it was unlikely that the man had died of swine flu. "[Although] swine flu was deadly in 2009 and 2010, it is no longer a harmful disease." He added that the disease is a lot like a more common seasonal flu. "The sufferer does not even need to be isolated," he said.
The World Health Organization announced in 2010 that the H1N1 swine-flu pandemic had passed, but made clear that "this does not mean that the H1N1 virus has gone away." Trihono suspected that the patient might have suffered from another, deadlier disease, which led to his death. "That disease killed him rather than the swine flu."
Officials from Tangerang General Hospital and the regency's health authority declined to comment on the swine-flu infection, telling the Post that only Health Ministry officials were authorized to make such comments. The hospital's spokesman, Achmad Muchlis, had earlier said that the patient died from respiratory problems. The man, a resident from Panongan district in Tangerang, died after being treated for 5 days. The hospital had conducted polymerase chain reaction tests to confirm whether he had bird flu but they came back negative. It said it would conduct more tests.
"The research and development department has not yet received the patient's complete medical record. We cannot reveal his cause of death just now," Trihono said. The Ministry said it would examine the case further as there was a possibility, no matter how small, that the swine flu could transform into a more threatening virus to human beings. "The test that we are about to conduct is aimed at ensuring that the swine-flu threat is still under control," he said. In 2009, the Health Ministry reported that at least 4 Indonesians died from swine flu.
--
Communicated by:
ProMED-mail Rapporteur Mary Marshall
[This press report confirms that influenza A/(H5N1) virus infection was not the cause of death of one of the 2 patients in Jakarta, who had previously been assumed to have died as a result of avian influenza virus infection despite lack of confirmatory laboratory diagnostics [see: Avian influenza, human (14): Indonesia (JA) susp. 20120126.1023044].
This patient, however, has tested positive for influenza A/(H1N1)pdm virus infection [swine flu]. Nonetheless some believe that this infection is not the cause of the patient's death. Others are suggesting that a more aggressive form of the swine flu virus may have made an appearance. It will be interesting to learn how the 2nd suspected avian influenza virus fatality is being evaluated now. - Mod.CP