• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Indiana - Norovirus cases 2012

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
State Department of Health investigates viral outbreak in Blackford Co.

Dozens report similar symptoms in Central Indiana.

By Vanessa McClure
6:19 p.m. EST, January 10, 2012

Hartford City, Ind.

The State Department of Health is investigating a viral outbreak in Blackford County. Several people reported symptoms associated with the stomach flu or food poisoning.
...
State Epidemiologist Pam Pontones said the symptoms are consistent with Viral Gastroenteritis. The most common type of that virus is called the Norovirus.
...
"Unfortunately there is no vaccine to prevent against Norovirus so proper hygiene and prevention measures are important. Do not go to school or work if you're sick and do not prepare food for others if you're sick," Pontones said.

Full text:
http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-noro...eak-in-blackford-co-20120110,0,6297904.column
 
Re: Indiana - Norovirus cases 2012

More norovirus reports prompt new investigation in northern Ind.

Several people in Hartford City reported symptoms associated with the stomach flu or food poisoning after eating from a local restaurant.

1:18 p.m. EST, January 13, 2012

Valparaiso, Ind.

Days after the Indiana State Department of Health began investigating a viral outbreak in Hartford City, a new investigation launched this week in Valparaiso following a series of foodborne illness reports.

Several people in Hartford City reported symptoms associated with the stomach flu or food poisoning after eating from a local restaurant.

The Blackford County Health Department began working with state epidemiologists to pinpoint a cause. State Epidemiologist Pam Pontones told Fox59 the symptoms are consistent with viral gastroenteritis. The most common type of that virus is called the norovirus.

Now, an investigation is underway into a restaurant in Valparaiso. According to Food Safety News, approximately 60 area residents suffered from nausea, vomiting and indigestion. The web-based newspaper reported a train crashed near Valparaiso last Friday. The Red Cross provided meals for the rescue workers, which was partly catered by Jimmy John?s. Two days later, the Porter County Health Department received reports that approximately 20 of those workers were sick.

More...
http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-norovirus-investigation-20120113,0,3350551.column
 
Re: Indiana - Norovirus cases 2012

Norovirus blamed for Blackford illnesses

But was it spread by a Subway customer or an employee?

11:26 PM, Feb. 9, 2012

HARTFORD CITY -- Most of the 100-plus people infected with norovirus last month had eaten at a local Subway franchise.

But an investigation by the Blackford County Health Department was unable to determine whether a customer or an employee spread the virus, also known as a stomach bug and food poisoning.

"We don't know how it bounced in there," said Linda Briles, an environmental health specialist at the department. "We may never know. I use the term 'bounced in there,' either with an employee or a customer, I don't know. But it bounced in and went from there."

Briles interviewed two of the three people who were hospitalized with symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea) of acute gastroenteritis (inflammation of the stomach and intestines). The victims were treated for dehydration.
Both had eaten at Subway.

She said the virus could have been spread by a customer who failed to properly wash his or her hands after using the restroom. "A customer could have left it on a door knob," Briles said. "It (transmission) is fecal-oral. Or an employee could have caused it by poor hand washing."

More...
http://www.thestarpress.com/article...s-blamed-Blackford-illnesses?odyssey=nav|head
 
Re: Indiana - Norovirus cases 2012

News Releases >

Health department investigating cases of illness at local restaurant chain

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (March 30, 2012) ? The Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health is investigating a possible foodborne illness outbreak at a local restaurant chain.

The department has received multiple reports of illness from patrons who ate at the Cebolla?s Mexican Grill at 5930 West Jefferson Boulevard in Time Corners. About 20 people claim to have gotten sick after eating there on Sunday, March 25.

Although the investigation is ongoing and test results are pending, the symptoms are consistent with a type of viral gastroenteritis known as ?norovirus.?It will likely be weeks before the investigation is concluded and findings are known.

The management of Cebolla?s is fully cooperating with health officials in this investigation. The restaurant voluntarily closed on Thursday to thoroughly clean and disinfect. Any employees who have been sick recently will be tested for infection and excluded from work.

Gastroenteritis can be caused by a variety of viruses, one of which is norovirus. Because it so easily spreads in places such as restaurants, schools, nursing homes and cruise ships, norovirus is the leading cause of foodborne illness in the United States.

People often become infected by eating foods or drinking liquids that are contaminated with the virus, by touching surfaces or objects contaminated with the virus and then touching their mouth, or having direct contact with another person who is infected and showing symptoms.

Symptoms of gastrointestinal illness usually begin 24 to 48 hours after exposure and can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and stomach cramping. Anyone who develops symptoms should stay home and wash their hands frequently.

For more information, visit www.allencountyhealth.com or call 449-7561.

http://www.allencountyhealth.com/news/content/news_releases.html?ID=news_releases1333126514
 
Re: Indiana - Norovirus cases 2012

Another restaurant investigated for food-borne illness

Patrons first reported getting ill week of April 2

Updated: Tuesday, 17 Apr 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 17 Apr 2012, 4:52 PM EDT

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) The Fort Wayne Allen County Department of Health believes norovirus is to blame for the illness suffered by patrons of El Azteca restaurant in Fort Wayne earlier this month.

As of Monday, the health department had received 10 complaints involving 35 people who ate there the week of April 2, 2012.
...
In March, a similar incident took place at Cebolla's on West Jefferson. The health department believes both instances were the result of an employee who was sick that reported for work anyway.

http://www.wane.com/dpp/entertainment/food_and_dining/another-restaurant-investigated-for-food-borne-illness
 
Back
Top