Snowy Owl
Retired in 2010, In Memoriam
Health ministry warns public of more dengue fever outbreaks
http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailtoplatest.asp?fileid=20070214112720&irec=5
http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailtoplatest.asp?fileid=20070214112720&irec=5
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]JAKARTA (Antara): [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The Health Ministry has warned the public of more dengue fever outbreaks occurring[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]in the wake of floods that swept through several parts of the country recently. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
"The Health Ministry foresees an increase in the number of dengue fever patients in the wake of the floods," the ministry's director general of communicable diseases I Nyoman Kandun said onthe sidelines of a WHO meeting on minimizing tropical diseases Wednesday.
Dengue fever cases have so far occurred in the special region of Jakarta and in the provinces of Banten, Lampung, South Sumatra, Central Java, East Java and East Kalimantan.
Kandun said all regional governments across the country could declare a dengue fever outbreak in their respective jurisdictions an extraordinary occurrence (KLB).
"The KLB status must be declared after conducting relevant studies or surveillance," he said.
Data from the ministry suggested that there were 4,862 cases of dengue with 75 deaths as of Jan 30 compared to 18,941 cases and 192 deaths in a corresponding period last year. (***)[/FONT]