• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Hospitals stick with H1N1 restrictions

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
Hospitals stick with H1N1 restrictions

Published : Thursday, 31 Dec 2009, 6:43 PM MST
Reporter: Kim Vallez
Web Producer: Bill Diven

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - The H1N1 scare has tapered off and the number of vaccinations available has jumped, but visitor restrictions at local hospitals will remain in effect until at least May.


The New Mexico Department of Health has recommended that anyone 15 years old or younger not be allowed to visit patients in the hospital because of the chance of spreading H1N1. People in this age group are considered the most likely carriers of the virus.

Presbyterian and University of New Mexico hospitals have both followed this recommendation. Lovelace follows a stricter policy by not allowing anyone 18 or younger in the hospital.

News 13 has now learned that these restrictions are set to stay in place until late April or May.

"Of course there is the potential of another surge coming up in springtime or middle of winter here so we are concerned about seasonal flu and H1N1 flu," President and CEO Jeff Dye of the New Mexico Hospital Association told KRQE News 13. "The thought is to continue precautions and err on the side of safety if anything."

The DOH has reported 50 deaths linked to the H1N1 flu strain this year, many of those involving people already dealing with chronic health issues. No H1N1-related deaths have been reported in the last week.

Right now most hospitals are only making an exception to the rule for terminally ill patients. That has many people including a mother-to-be upset.

"I think it's absolutely ridiculous because when I have my baby in March my daughter can't be up there and visit me," Alana Davis said. "She'll have to stay in the waiting room.

"She has her shots up to date. They should take into account that she is good."

Presbyterian officials said they are not making exceptions in the maternity wing because of the especially high risk to pregnant women and newborns. Pregnant women have been identified as among the most at-risk for deadly consequences from the virus.

While they say it's a hard policy for everyone to deal with they believe it's in everyone's best interest.

Many support the decision including Jessica Torres.

"For everybody's health I think they should not allow you in," Torres said.

"What if you have cancer? Your immune system is shot, and if you go in with H1N1, then you could infect somebody else."

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/health...:+krqe-topstories+(KRQE+News+13+-+Top+Stories)
 
Back
Top