Shiloh
Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=11&art_id=84590&sid=24502540&con_type=1
Man, 76, first swine flu victim at serious risk
Adele Wong
Thursday, July 09, 2009
A 76-year-old man has become the first human swine flu (H1N1) victim to slip into a serious condition.
More than 1,000 people have contracted the virus but in nearly all cases the symptoms have been mild.
Centre for Health Protection controller Thomas Tsang Ho-fai said the man was admitted to the Prince of Wales Hospital on Sunday and was confirmed to have H1N1 yesterday.
The patient, who is also suffering from a chronic pulmonary disease, had shown initial improvement following treatment on Monday, but his condition deteriorated yesterday.
The man's 74-year-old wife has shown no symptoms, but tests are being conducted to determine whether she has contracted the virus.
"Prior to being taken to hospital, the man had spent most of his time at home, and had not received visitors," Tsang said.
So far, only four senior citizens had contracted H1N1. Only four to five patients were still hospitalized.
Tsang confirmed H1N1 was now the most common form of flu in Hong Kong, accounting for 55 percent of all flu cases.
He said the summer flu season is currently hitting its peak but that the numbers have not been alarming when compared with previous years.
The number of cases were expected to increase through the summer, with possibly more serious cases or even deaths.
Tsang urged people with coughs or fever to consult a doctor. Laboratories would be checking to see if the virus had mutated. Meanwhile, the government would stock up on Tamiflu and Relenza, two medications to combat H1N1.
Currently, the Hospital Authority's stock of flu medications comprises 90 percent Tamiflu and 10 percent Relenza, but as new strains resistant to Tamiflu surface, the government would consider increasing the stock of Relenza, Tsang said.
He said with the number of swine flu cases now exceeding 1,000, the possibility of the first death in Hong Kong could not be ruled out.
The Hospital Authority announced the total number of H1N1 cases in Hong Kong had reached 1,055 as of 2.30pm yesterday with 41 new cases, including the 76-year-old man.
The total number of H1N1 cases globally is more than 94,000, with more than 400 deaths.
Man, 76, first swine flu victim at serious risk
Adele Wong
Thursday, July 09, 2009
A 76-year-old man has become the first human swine flu (H1N1) victim to slip into a serious condition.
More than 1,000 people have contracted the virus but in nearly all cases the symptoms have been mild.
Centre for Health Protection controller Thomas Tsang Ho-fai said the man was admitted to the Prince of Wales Hospital on Sunday and was confirmed to have H1N1 yesterday.
The patient, who is also suffering from a chronic pulmonary disease, had shown initial improvement following treatment on Monday, but his condition deteriorated yesterday.
The man's 74-year-old wife has shown no symptoms, but tests are being conducted to determine whether she has contracted the virus.
"Prior to being taken to hospital, the man had spent most of his time at home, and had not received visitors," Tsang said.
So far, only four senior citizens had contracted H1N1. Only four to five patients were still hospitalized.
Tsang confirmed H1N1 was now the most common form of flu in Hong Kong, accounting for 55 percent of all flu cases.
He said the summer flu season is currently hitting its peak but that the numbers have not been alarming when compared with previous years.
The number of cases were expected to increase through the summer, with possibly more serious cases or even deaths.
Tsang urged people with coughs or fever to consult a doctor. Laboratories would be checking to see if the virus had mutated. Meanwhile, the government would stock up on Tamiflu and Relenza, two medications to combat H1N1.
Currently, the Hospital Authority's stock of flu medications comprises 90 percent Tamiflu and 10 percent Relenza, but as new strains resistant to Tamiflu surface, the government would consider increasing the stock of Relenza, Tsang said.
He said with the number of swine flu cases now exceeding 1,000, the possibility of the first death in Hong Kong could not be ruled out.
The Hospital Authority announced the total number of H1N1 cases in Hong Kong had reached 1,055 as of 2.30pm yesterday with 41 new cases, including the 76-year-old man.
The total number of H1N1 cases globally is more than 94,000, with more than 400 deaths.