• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Health authorities say New Zealand is in a containment phase

Sally Furniss

Well-known member
<headline>NZ confident of containing swine flu</headline>

<!-- Class 'push-0' just right-aligns the element so that the main content comes first. --> <!-- cT-storyDetails --> <cite>May 5, 2009 - 7:34PM</cite>
Health authorities say New Zealand is in a containment phase with swine flu, with international travellers being monitored as they arrive in the country.

The numbers of confirmed swine flu cases in New Zealand remained at six on Tuesday, though at least four of them have recovered from the disease.

There are 15 probable cases, up from 11 on Monday, the NZ Ministry of Health said.

There were 92 suspected cases on Tuesday, up 23 from Monday, and 335 people in isolation or quarantine who are being treated with Tamiflu, down 26 since Monday.

Deputy director of public health Fran McGrath said there was still no evidence the disease had been transmitted within the community - all the people being monitored have recently returned from travelling to affected areas or are close contacts of cases.

"New Zealand is in the containment phase," she said.

"We are continuing to maintain our emphasis on limiting the spread."
Dr McGrath said the number of suspected cases, and those receiving treatment and in isolation, would fluctuate as more suspected cases were found and others were ruled out.

Attention continued to be paid to international travellers arriving from the United States and Mexico upon arrival at Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Queenstown airports.

"A group of six passengers who arrived at Auckland on flight QF26 from Los Angeles this morning have been assessed as suspected cases. They and their 16 close contacts are being treated in isolation in Auckland," she said.

"By Thursday evening, passengers on all international flights arriving in New Zealand will be asked to fill in a passenger locator form. The forms are used by public health staff to trace contacts if required."


http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/nz-confident-of-containing-swine-flu-20090505-atoh.html
 
Re: Health authorities say New Zealand is in a containment phase

http://www.odt.co.nz/58063/ministry-difficult-to-keep-swine-flu-out-of-nz
Difficult to keep swine flu out of NZ: Health Ministry
Home ? News ? National
Tue, 26 May 2009
News: National

As the numbers of swine flu cases spread across the world, the Ministry of Health says it will become increasingly difficult to keep the virus out of New Zealand.

Fran McGrath, deputy director of public health, said today case numbers of influenza A, or H1N1, remained stable but strengthening the messages to overseas travellers was being planned as the number of overseas cases being notified to the World Health Organisation continued to increase.

Dr McGrath said New Zealand was continuing its efforts to contain the virus and prevent community transmission.

"There remains no evidence of community spread of the virus in New Zealand," she said.

"All of New Zealand's cases had recently returned from travel in affected areas or were close contacts of cases.

"But as more countries report cases and more see local spread of the virus, it will become increasingly difficult to keep influenza A out of New Zealand," she said.

Health authorities were working closely with Tourism New Zealand to look at ways of getting more information through to travellers arriving in New Zealand over the winter.

There were no new cases of the infection in New Zealand.

Dr McGrath said the cumulative total of known past infections remained at nine, with all cases fully recovered. The cumulative total of past probable cases remained unchanged at 10.

There were currently 25 suspected cases (up from 19 yesterday).

"The numbers of suspected cases fluctuate as more people with symptoms arriving from affected areas are assessed (treated and isolated), and as laboratory testing rules out some suspected cases," she said.

There were 10 people in isolation or quarantine and being treated with Tamiflu, up from seven yesterday. The numbers of people in isolation vary according to when they complete 72 hours of the five-day course of Tamiflu.

So far 46 countries have officially reported 12,515 cases of influenza A (H1N1) infection, including 91 deaths.

Meanwhile a cleaning specialist is urging employers to pay even closer attention to workplace hygiene to stop the spread of the virus in this country.

Grant McLauchlan, from Crest Commercial Cleaning, said that sickness already cost businesses around $2 billion a year, and a potential flu epidemic could see that figure rise even further.

"Employers need to be proactive in providing employees with basic hygiene practices to reduce the risk of spreading sickness among workers."

*

NZPA
 
Back
Top