• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Haiti storm on September 24 - Six deaths confirmed and 67 injuries

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
24 September 2010 Last updated at 22:04 ET
<!-- Social media icons by Paul Annet | http://nicepaul.com/icons --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!--$render("page-bookmark-links","page-bookmark-links-head",{ position:"top", site:'News', headline:'BBC News - Haiti storm \'kills five\' and wrecks quake refugee camps', storyId:'11410639', sectionId:'99124', url:'http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11410639', edition:'US' }); --></SCRIPT>
Haiti storm 'kills five' and wrecks quake refugee camps

Five Haitian refugees have been killed as a storm overtook the impoverished country still recovering from the January earthquake, media report.

The rainstorm passed over the capital of Port-au-Prince on Friday, tearing down houses and power lines.

The dead had been in homeless camps inundated by rain and devastated by wind, officials told AFP news agency.

The January earthquake levelled the city, killing an estimated 250,000 people and leaving millions homeless.

The storm, which passed quickly over the capital, caused panic and terror among the estimated 1.3 million Port-au-Prince residents still homeless eight months after the earthquake.

Five people were killed in refugee camps, the AFP news agency reported, citing Haitian Civil Protection spokesman Edgard Celestin.

The wind blew away tarps, tent poles and tin roofs, opening family shacks to the elements, the Associated Press reported...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11410639
 
Re: Haiti storm 'kills five' and wrecks quake refugee camps

Re: Haiti storm 'kills five' and wrecks quake refugee camps

Sudden storm blasts through Haitian tent cities

JONATHAN M. KATZ, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: September 24, 2010 9:09 p.m.
Last modified: September 24, 2010 10:26 p.m.

Excerpt:

The storm passed quickly through the mountain-ringed bowl of the Haitian capital, exposing rubble-filled neighbourhoods to no more than a few minutes of wind and rain. But that was enough to provoke panic and chaos, especially in tent and tarp cities still home to more than 1.3 million people more than eight months after the Jan. 12 quake.

...

The sudden storm was not associated with any tropical system, Michael Lowry of the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami told The Associated Press. Meteorologists saw only a low-pressure system move across the Greater Antilles.

But for those living in this ravaged city, where reconstruction has barely begun, it was a forceful reminder of the danger still posed to a vulnerable country by an active Atlantic hurricane season months from being over.

.../
http://www.metronews.ca/vancouver/w...dden-storm-blasts-through-haitian-tent-cities
 
Re: Haiti storm 'kills five' and wrecks quake refugee camps

Re: Haiti storm 'kills five' and wrecks quake refugee camps

Haiti Storm Flash Report #1, 24 September 2010

<!--docTitle--><!--Attention ligne utilis?e pour l'impression-->Source: United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
Date: 24 Sep 2010

<!-- START BOTTOM Attachments links -->
Full_Report (pdf* format - 51.6 Kbytes)

<!-- END BOTTOM Attachments links -->
<!--Attention ligne utilis?e pour l'impression-->
This report was issued by OCHA Haiti . The next report will be issued on or around 25 September 2010.

I. Situation Overview

At approx 1500 local time on September 24th a storm with high winds and rain struck Port au Prince metropolitan area for about 30 minutes. The storm was not predicted and no warnings were therefore issued.

Thus far, five people were confirmed dead and there are several reports of injuries and people being trapped under fallen trees and collapsed shelters.

The camp management and camp coordination cluster (CCCM) currently estimates 2000 tents damaged or destroyed in camps across Port au Prince. Assessments of damage are ongoing and these numbers may well rise.

The Direction de la Protection Civile (DPC) have requested the distribution of shelter materials (100 tarpaulins) to affected populations in three camps. Planning for this is under way.
UNICEF has also mobilized 1000 blankets for camps at Caradeux where 931 children were affected.

While four hospitals have reported flood and other damage, most are functioning and have increased staff to deal with the incoming injuries. The MSF Holland hospital is damaged but functioning; the MSF Belgium facility is fully functional and reports an influx of patients. One hospital (Hospital de la Paix) has reported to be unable to function due to flooding.

Clinic tents at Petionville Golf Club camp were blown down. IFRC hospital in Carrefour reports no structural damage and has put extra staff on standby.

Minor damage is being reported in Leogane and Petit-Goave where the bridge at the entrance to the commune was affected, but the main area of concern is Port-au-Prince.

II. Humanitarian Response

The UN and humanitarian partners has convened an emergency response taskforce at OCHA, with the main clusters represented to ensure full coordination of assessments and response.

DPC have activated the Centre d'Operation d'Urgence Departmental to coordinate the response, and have activated their representatives at camp level.

Priority areas for the response have been identified as shelter and mitigation work in camps where water is not draining away.

All camp-leaders are being called across the affected area to gather information about the damage and needs and to determine appropriate response. MINUSTAH has deployed five battalions across town to assess camps and damage to the area. They have also responded to some reports of people trapped or medical emergencies.

Multi-sectoral assessment teams are being assembled by CCCM/IOM and will begin assessments at first light including teams from WFP among other agencies. A minimum additional five IFRC teams will also deploy, in coordination with CCCM. These are rapid assessment teams and will trigger rapid distributions of assistance. An aerial assessment of the affected area will also be conducted tomorrow.

The WASH cluster have field teams on standby to provide help where needed. A logistics cluster team is also on standby and coordinating with MINUSTAH.

WFP reports sufficient stocks of high energy biscuits and humanitarian daily rations in the affected area and is standing by to provide emergency food assistance immediately if required. Medical teams from IFRC will begin camp visits tomorrow to provide medical assistance where necessary.

http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/rwb.nsf/db900sid/MUMA-89M8NR?OpenDocument&RSS20&RSS20=FS
 
Haiti storm killed 10 people and injured several dozen

Haiti storm killed 10 people and injured several dozen

Haiti - News Flash : Partial assessment 10 dead and many injured
25/09/2010 10:18:00

autotranslated.gif


<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>
g-1276.jpg
</TD><TD>
tr.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Excerpt:
...The assessment shows the fragility of Port-au-Prince face of weather events, we dare not imagine the results if it had been a hurricane.

The authorities announce this midday the death of ten people who were in the emergency camps.

Several dozen people were injured, some seriously in several localities.

Many wounded were cared for by members of NGOs or carried in makeshift hospitals, said a foreign doctor refusing to submit a assessment of the victims of bad weather "We are currently compiling information before making a final statement" said the coordinator of the Haitian Civil Protection.

The cellular telephone communications were disrupted for several hours after the storm, making difficult contacts with local authorities. Some antennas and relays have been destroyed

"We evacuate people to schools and other shelters. People need blankets and clothes", said Nadia Lochard, from the Haitian civil protection.

HL/ HaitiLibre

/.../
http://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-1...tial-assessment-10-dead-and-many-injured.html
 
Re: Haiti storm killed 10 people and injured several dozen

Re: Haiti storm killed 10 people and injured several dozen

Haiti - News Flash : Details of damage and loss of lives confirmed
25/09/2010 17:41:38

autotranslated.gif


<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>
g-1279.jpg
</TD><TD>
tr.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>According to the National Meteorological Centre of Haiti (Centre National de M?t?orologie d?Ha?ti CNM), the weather phenomenon that has suddenly struck Haiti on Friday lasted 30 minutes. In addition to Port-au-Prince, the phenomenon has affected the surrounding areas of Thomazeau, Ganthier, Fond Verettes, Gressier and southern regions, like Petit Goave and Cayimites Islands.

The assessment would be of 5 deaths confirmed by the report of Civil protection sent to theUnited Nations and not 10 as had indicated we in a preceding bulletin, a great confusion reigns on the ground and informations [fortunately] was not confirmed until now. Marie Alta Jean-Baptiste chief of civil protection mentions several hundreds of people wounded to differing degree.

Preliminary estimates from the UN there would be 2,000 tents damaged or destroyed but the number could increase to over 5,000, when assessments are completed. Moreover Nadia Lochard said "a structure will be established to accommodate the victims, until arrangements are made to distribute 5,000 new tents" suggests that the figure of 2,000 tents is a minimum.

/.../

http://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-1...ls-of-damage-and-loss-of-lives-confirmed.html
 
Haiti storm on September 24 - Six deaths confirmed and 67 injuries

Haiti storm on September 24 - Six deaths confirmed and 67 injuries

Haiti: Storm Situation Report #1, 25 September 2010


<!--docTitle--><!--Attention ligne utilis?e pour l'impression-->Source: United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
Date: 25 Sep 2010

<!-- START BOTTOM Attachments links -->
Full_Report (pdf* format - 149.2 Kbytes)

<!-- END BOTTOM Attachments links -->
<!--Attention ligne utilis?e pour l'impression-->
This report was issued by OCHA Haiti. The next report will be issued on or around 26 September 2010.

I. HIGHLIGHTS/KEY PRIORITIES
- Six deaths confirmed and 67 injuries
- Assessments carried out in 172 camps with 21 priority sites identified
- Shelter needs identified as key priority: distributions of 5,240 tarpaulins, 150 tents and 785 shelter kits ongoing
- Security situation remains calm

II. Situation Overview

On Friday 24 September at approximately 15h00 a strong storm hit Port-au-Prince metropolitan area, lasting for 30 minutes.

Six deaths and 67 injuries have been reported by Direction de la Protection Civile (DPC).

To date 172 camps have been assessed and 21 priority sites have been identified. The priority need is shelter, with no major food or medical needs reported as a result of this storm. Half of shelter needs have been met with distributions so far and the rest will be met with distributions tomorrow (September 26).

Shelter cluster partners are distributing 5,240 tarpaulins, 150 tents and 785 shelter kits to those affected by the storm. Shelter cluster reports that these distributions will meet half of shelter needs and rest will be met tomorrow with further mobilization of stockpiled resources.

Roads across the affected area are now clear and no serious logistical problems have been reported, although fallen trees have proved a minor problem in some cases.

For further information on the response to this storm please go to: https://sites.google.com/site/ochahaiti24septstormresponse/

http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/rwb.nsf...itReps+(ReliefWeb++-++OCHA+Situation+Reports)
 
Re: Haiti storm on September 24 - Six deaths confirmed and 67 injuries

Haiti: Storm Situation Report #4, 27 September 2010

<!--docTitle--><!--Attention ligne utilis?e pour l'impression-->Source: United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
Date: 27 Sep 2010

<!-- START BOTTOM Attachments links -->
Full_Report (pdf* format - 221.9 Kbytes)

<!-- END BOTTOM Attachments links -->
<!--Attention ligne utilis?e pour l'impression-->
I. HIGHLIGHTS/KEY PRIORITIES

- 14,611 families in need of shelter assistance have now been identified, meaning demand for shelter now exceeds supplies available in country by approximately 2,500. Shelter cluster partners are identifying supplies in the pipeline that can be most readily accessed to fill this gap.

- Less than 10% of sites report damage to WASH facilities including latrines, showers and bladders.
- Plastic sheeting to repair showers and toilets is required.

http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/rwb.nsf...itReps+(ReliefWeb++-++OCHA+Situation+Reports)
 
Back
Top