Pathfinder
Editor, Senior Moderator
Haiti aid needs better coordination: president
Wed Jan 27, 3:03 PM
By Patricia Zengerle and Jackie Frank
PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) - International charities pouring a jumble of aid into Haiti must work better together to reach and help survivors of the catastrophic earthquake, President Rene Preval said on Wednesday.
Aid groups and troops from around the world have struggled to distribute food, water and medical care to an estimated 3 million Haitians injured or left homeless in the magnitude-7 earthquake that wrecked much of Haiti's capital on January 12, killing as many as 200,000 people.
"I am not in a position to criticize anybody, not in the least people who have come here to help me," Preval said. "What I am saying is, what everybody is saying is, that we need a better coordination."
Some food handouts have turned ugly, with U.N. peacekeepers using teargas and warning shots to control jostling crowds. Other people living in ragtag encampments around Port-au-Prince have complained that no food has reached them.
Preval said he was grateful for fund-raising efforts around the world and tried to ease concerns that government corruption might siphon off aid meant for desperate Haitians.
"The Haitian government has not seen one cent of that money that has been raised for Haiti. I presume that that means the money is going to NGOs," he said, referring to non-governmental aid groups.
He said a Puerto Rican group had presented him with a shipping receipt showing it donated $3.5 million of food aid to feed Haitians. Preval said he asked, "Where is the food?" and was told it had already been given to aid groups.
Read more at:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/100127/world/international_us_quake_haiti1
Wed Jan 27, 3:03 PM
By Patricia Zengerle and Jackie Frank
PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) - International charities pouring a jumble of aid into Haiti must work better together to reach and help survivors of the catastrophic earthquake, President Rene Preval said on Wednesday.
Aid groups and troops from around the world have struggled to distribute food, water and medical care to an estimated 3 million Haitians injured or left homeless in the magnitude-7 earthquake that wrecked much of Haiti's capital on January 12, killing as many as 200,000 people.
"I am not in a position to criticize anybody, not in the least people who have come here to help me," Preval said. "What I am saying is, what everybody is saying is, that we need a better coordination."
Some food handouts have turned ugly, with U.N. peacekeepers using teargas and warning shots to control jostling crowds. Other people living in ragtag encampments around Port-au-Prince have complained that no food has reached them.
Preval said he was grateful for fund-raising efforts around the world and tried to ease concerns that government corruption might siphon off aid meant for desperate Haitians.
"The Haitian government has not seen one cent of that money that has been raised for Haiti. I presume that that means the money is going to NGOs," he said, referring to non-governmental aid groups.
He said a Puerto Rican group had presented him with a shipping receipt showing it donated $3.5 million of food aid to feed Haitians. Preval said he asked, "Where is the food?" and was told it had already been given to aid groups.
Read more at:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/100127/world/international_us_quake_haiti1
