• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

H1N1 continues to march across - More people admitted to hospital

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%"></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD background=images/dash.gif height=1>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=10>Last updated at 8:42 AM on 06/11/09 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>H1N1 continues to march across province
More people admitted to hospital

BY JAMES MCLEOD
The Telegram



</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>
lineup-H1N1.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=photoCaption vAlign=top width="100%" height="100%"><TABLE height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=photoCaption>People line up at the Eastern Health flue assessment clinic on Ropewalk Lane in St. John's Thursday. ? Photo by Barb Sweet/The Telegram</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

In what has become a grim daily event, Health Minister Jerome Kennedy and Faith Stratton, the province?s chief medical officer of health, again updated the public on the spread of the H1N1 flu outbreak.

As of 8 a.m. Thursday, 29 new people had been admitted to hospitals, four of them in intensive care.

In total, the province has 12 people on ventilators, 28 people in intensive care and 85 in hospital.

Kennedy said that they?re on track to finish vaccinating the primary school students in the central, western and Labrador-Grenfell regions by the end of today.

Because of the sheer number of students in the eastern region ? about 8,000 ? their vaccinations will likely extend into the weekend and next week.

Kennedy indicated that some time today officials will make the decision whether they?ll be calling some students in on the weekend to vaccinate them.

However, he said the doctors and nurses who have been vaccinating for more than a week straight might be running out of stamina.

?It looks like right now Sunday may very well be an off day to give our health-care workers ? especially our public health nurses ? a break,? Kennedy said.

The process of vaccinating the population against swine flu has been fraught with shortages and problems. Kennedy said the next shipment of vaccine will likely be around 27,000 doses, less than the 30,000 previously expected.

Kennedy said he has been receiving ? and trying to personally respond to ? floods of e-mails to his office, many with specific, personal concerns of high-risk people who couldn?t get the vaccine.

Meanwhile, in Arnold?s Cove, about 80 high school students decided to send the minister a message another way.

About 80 students walked out of school Thursday morning protesting the fact that inmates at Her Majesty?s Penitentiary had received vaccine before the students did.

Stratton defended the decision saying prisoners typically have addictions issues, chronic disease and immunity issues like HIV which make them a higher risk of death.

?People who are in prison settings have a number of risk factors that would put them at high risk for developing H1N1 infection and then the complications of that,? she said.


</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>


http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=301112&sc=79
 
Re: H1N1 continues to march across - More people admitted to hospital

In total, the province has 12 people on ventilators, 28 people in intensive care and 85 in hospital

The Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador has a population of half a million. Scaled up to the population of the USA this would equal 7200 on ventilators, 16800 in intensive care and 51,000 in hospital. Scaled up to a city of 10 million then 144 on vents, 560 I/C, 1700 in hospital.

Google now rates N&L as the most badly hit region in North America. In fact the current Google estimated rate is so high that previous years barely show on the chart.
nlgoog.png
 
Back
Top